• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The IRS and Suppression of Political and Civil Rights

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
This is a true story, a personal anechdote. You can take it for what it's worth.

I usually donate money to the Republicans, so my name comes up on offical lists of donors.

For the past 2 years my wife and I have gotten mini-audits by mail from the IRS. It has never amounted to much money, but it bothers my wife, who grew up in a country where contact with the government was usually a lot less cordial, quite a lot.

We got a letter from the IRS a few days ago saying that we'd made a small error on our 2012 return, but that because there was another offsetting error (I'm not sure how that worked exactly) we didn't owe anything.

So with this being the third time the IRS has reached out to touch us, my wife blurts out, "I wish you'd stop giving money to the Republicans."

And so there you have it. That's the way it works. There's no telling how many other Republican supporters feel like my wife, afraid to support the GOP because of what the IRS might do.

This is a true story, a personal anechdote. You can take it for what it's worth.

I usually donate money to the Republicans, so my name comes up on offical lists of donors.

For the past 2 years my wife and I have gotten mini-audits by mail from the IRS. It has never amounted to much money, but it bothers my wife, who grew up in a country where contact with the government was usually a lot less cordial, quite a lot.

We got a letter from the IRS a few days ago saying that we'd made a small error on our 2012 return, but that because there was another offsetting error (I'm not sure how that worked exactly) we didn't owe anything.

So with this being the third time the IRS has reached out to touch us, my wife blurts out, "I wish you'd stop giving money to the Republicans."

And so there you have it. That's the way it works. There's no telling how many other Republican supporters feel like my wife, afraid to support the GOP because of what the IRS might do.

A sad state of affairs.
I understand your wifes concern,I'd be the same way.

Hopefully the country will go to fair or flat tax to do away with the IRS.
Course since the R's wont do away with obamacare we're scrooged anyway!

Back
Top Bottom