• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The internet is making people stupid

Which part of what I wrote was not explicitly part of the book?
Your interpretations are not part of the book.

People have always been stupid; the real problem is that the internet helps stupid people feel smart.

Your interpretations are not part of the book.
Martin writes a lot of sex scenes but that just isn't comparable to Goodkind heavily featuring rape in the entire series,
Rape occurs very regularly.

or the leather-clad dominatrix torturer women with literal magic pain dildos.
Mord Sith are women who dress in skin-tight leather and engage in total and utter domination over people using torture. Their weapon and torture implement of choice is the agiel, a cylindrical smooth leather rod about a foot long that causes tremendous pain on contact. It was implicitly used to violate the protagonist while he was being held as a tortured sex slave of the Mord Sith in the process of attempting to break him.

Or the group of women who will literally magically enslave a man's mind if they have an orgasm during sex...
Confessors are women who have the power to magically enslave people with a touch, making them into barely-sapient shells of themselves who exist only to please the Confessor by any means necessary. This, rather perversely, is described as love-based enthrallment. The hold is so powerful that the primary love interest once accidentally killed such a man by simply telling him to die. He dropped dead on the spot. This enslavement explicitly happens in an involuntary fashion if a Confessor has an orgasm during sex, making it inevitable that she will permanently enslave a man she lies with. (well, if he's doing it right)

How did your libertarian side feel about the protagonist running a fascist dictatorship requiring daily chants of devotion
D'Hara is a fascist dictatorship initially run by the Big Evil Wizard Guy. There's no elected representatives or checks and balances. He rules supreme. This continues to be true when the protagonist takes control of the empire. Nobody questions the lord of this land. Every day, every single citizen engages in a ritualistic chant of devotion for a total of four hours. This chant is literally called devotion.

and slaughtering a group of literal pacifists
I don't know what to say other than this was a scene in one of the books. The protagonist slaughtered pacifists. They wouldn't even defend themselves. His justification was the claim that failing to oppose evil means you are complicit in it.

(and doing so requires the protagonist to truly believe those pacifists are evil and deserving of death, because that's how his sword works)?
The Sword of Truth typically cannot be used to kill someone the wielder does not believe deserves it. This was explicitly demonstrated in the first book when the protagonist acquired the sword. He was unable to even use it against a tree until he was made to believe the tree was placed there by Big Evil Wizard Guy. Therefore the protagonist must have believed the pacifists deserved death.

So, help me out here.

I know that some will focus in on the part about anti-vaxxers, but that isn't the point of the joke.

This comedy special is hilarious! I haven't had the chance to see his new one, but his observations about America are spot on and hilarious.

Enjoy!

"Who knew that all of human knowledge could make people dumber".

Funny stuff reminiscent of George Carlin.

Good act.

The internet is like a really sharp tool. Very effective if used properly and with respect, but very dangerous if not.

On @RedAkston ’s recommendation, we tried the Netflix special featuring the above comic dressed in a white tuxedo jacket. I was disappointed as he stayed on the same topic for way too long and I had to switch it off after maybe ten minutes in. The trailer was well done, but a whole hour beating the same drum is bound to get old.

The trouble with the internet is that access to all of humanity's knowledge inherently provides access to all of humanity's bullshit, and that exists in vastly larger quantities.

Back
Top Bottom