• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Insiders: Obamacare Is Falling Apart

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Finally this is beginning to show up in the mainstream media. People have been making these points for months and months elsewhere:

As the reality of Obamacare emerges, a disastrous calamity imposed on the American people, even the most compliant members of the Obama fan club are beginning to panic. Three union presidents have sent Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi a scathing letter decrying Obamacare, showing just how out-of-control this law has become. This astonishing reversal has been underreported so far, except by the ever-vigilant Tom Gara in the Wall Street Journal.

According to this, Obamacare will:

1. destroy the 40 hour work week.

2. hurt unions.

3. make it impossible for people to keep their doctors or current health care insurance.

I would add that it's also going to make health insurance more expensive by mandating that more things be covered and because of the expenses associated with pre-existing conditions and portability. Limits on premium costs will be impossible to implement and will likely be waved (like everything else).

Noticed how all the people who supported Obamacare have gotten wavers? I predict that wholesale wavers will be extended to the unions, also, before the election.

Finally this is beginning to show up in the mainstream media. People have been making these points for months and months elsewhere:

2. hurt unions.

3. make it impossible for people to keep their doctors or current health care insurance.

I would add that it's also going to make health insurance more expensive by mandating that more things be covered and because of the expenses associated with pre-existing conditions and portability. Limits on premium costs will be impossible to implement and will likely be waved (like everything else).

Noticed how all the people who supported Obamacare have gotten wavers? I predict that wholesale wavers will be extended to the unions, also, before the election.
Its not like it is democrats, lib erals, and traditional democrat lobbyists and supporters that are making that claim.

Oh...wait...

Well...at least they voted to pass it so they could see what was actually in it.

2. hurt unions.

I disagree with this, as that is the best vehicle to cause movement towards UHC, the real goal of those that support(ed) PPACA. The union's real objection to PPACA is that their "better" medical care benefits are now being made into "unauthorized" and thus non-tax deductable (favorable?) labor expenses.

How PPACA impacts union health benefits | nwLaborPress

I disagree with this, as that is the best vehicle to cause movement towards UHC, the real goal of those that support(ed) PPACA. The union's real objection to PPACA is that their "better" medical care benefits are now being made into "unauthorized" and thus non-tax deductable (favorable?) labor expenses.

How PPACA impacts union health benefits | nwLaborPress

There will be even less enthusiasm for any sort of government health care after this, and no UHC is getting through Congress in the foreseeable future.

There will be even less enthusiasm for any sort of government health care after this, and no UHC is getting through Congress in the foreseeable future.

I think you may be wrong about that, and here is why. Now most people are not paying their medical care insurance costs, or only a tiny portion of them (employers or the gov't is picking up that tab). With millions now already under direct gov't medical care plans of Medicare, Medicaid and VA, and with many more (those earning from 138% up to 400% of the federal poverty level - that is about 26 million voters) able to get substancial gov't subsidies under PPACA that leaves very few that actully pay the full cost for "private" (now subject to PPACA mandates) medical care insurance plans out of pocket.

Once the use of gov't mandates makes these "private" insurance premiums become more expensive then more employers will drop that employee benefit (to control their indirect labor costs) and allow their employees to shop the PPACA exchanges. These exchanges are still called "private" medical care insurance but have "allowed" overhead costs of between 15% and 20% and all plan benefits offered must meet strict federal gov't standards. How hard will it then be to have the gov't convince the public that "greedy corporate interests" are what is making their medical care insurance costs so expensive?

FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR must spread more FEAR...........

Unions are only 10% or less of the USA work force. They are a bunch of scabs that have forsaken the American worker.

We will ALL get HC on Jan 1 , 2014 and sign up on Oct 1, 2013.

TFB for them.

And it will not matter if you work 30hrs or 40, you will still get HC and at the same price. 2% of your pay.
(the only difference is they dont have to pay the $3,000 fine)

It's the waivers granted that gets me. Yet, this is not the only law that congress is exempt from. IMHO they should not be able to do that. Nor was I aware it was possible for the president to just come out and change a law via a blog entry.

yeah, because obamacare has gotten no coverage in the MS media. The other thing is we know people have been making these points for years now, but now these points have to come to pass. It is all predictions, and many of those predictions are coming from a biased source. The pro-Ocare people say it will be great, and the anti-Ocare people are saying it will be the end of the US. Still, they are just predictions and now we see what actually happens.

Already dying due to technology increases and other factors. Sorry, but the places where this is going to hit, mainly in the low end positions, have already had a problem with getting full time hours due to other concerns for decades now. These are the areas where it is most easy to replace people, and where you can have lots of PT workers. The reality is that the full time middle class is needed so they will not be cutting them back to PT or else they will lose their more technical and well trained employees. This is a false claim and a convenient excuse for companies who like to avoid the expense of full time workers for many other factors.
2. hurt unions.

Though I can see the benefits of being able to form a union, I do not see ever present required unions as being a great thing. If they get hurt big deal. I never knew you were a pro-big-union guy. Yes, I can see where a better deal for all employees in the country would be bad for unions as it decreases their necessity to push for affordable healthcare for their members. That really just means one problem that needed union attention is solved. If it is protected by law then you do not need the union to protect the workers in that instance. What is the problem with that? Aside from a few union whores having to get a new job.

Oh, another great lie. Doctors need customers too. This means they will work with insurance companies to take their clients. This has no basis in reality at all, and it sounds like the same old BS crap that we have been hearing for years. With a competative market of insurance providers offering plans you could easily chose a provider that has your favorite doctor on it if you had to have it. You are not required to go with any particular insurance company which is called competition. Where do you even get this claim from? is it some conservative source which has declared obamacare the ultimate evil in the universe?

That is a nice fear based opinion, but it has not come to pass. maybe what you are saying will happen and things will fall apart, but that is a prediction and not a fact yet. Even if it does fall apart we can always go back to private insurance coverage and remove OC later. It was a huge money maker for big insurance so it is not like they will avoid it if we went back to the old way. If in a year or two things get that bad then you can come in here gloating and call for a return to the crappy pre-OC position. You do not get to claim your opinions are facts before your predicted disaster happens.

You can predict a lot of things, and I would suggest you make some bets if you feel that strongly. Still, you had better hope the sky is actually falling in this case because if healthcare becomes good in the future people will probably not want to hear your doom and gloom sky is falling predictions. It is really getting to the point where chicken little is dancing up a storm and no one has been hit by the falling sky yet.

The Unions, of course, will be hurt by the ACA because of their negotiated 'Cadillac Health Care Plans', which OC will gut because of the amount of waste associated with them.

That's why they don't like it - their members will lose valuable negotiated benefits.

You'd think Cons would be rejoicing over this, but their reflexive hate for the ACA prevents it, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom