• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Injustice of Morality Legislated

The Injustice of Morality Legislated

I blog already, so I thought I might repost my previous blogpost from last night.

Edmund Burke declared that liberty and freedom descended from a hereditary line. That is where his famous quote, "People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors," comes from. There was undoubtedly a certain morality about it, but he never created his own. He never supplemented his own morals for what he saw as a scientific question. He argued that it was "self-evident," and that in some way could be measured. One did not require a special degree in self-righteousness, a prerequisite to becoming a good Progressive, or believe in any ethics with which Burke espoused. Simply put, he argued that Liberty was as real and a part of man as a heart. Of course, this conflicts sharply with the rhetoric from the leftist Revolution in France that declared "Gentlemen, you will change such a deplorable state of affairs... Until this moment you have deliberated in France and for France, but today you will deliberate for the universe and in the universe." Constantine Francois Volnet clearly did not believe it was self-evident, he believed that his cause required a certain molding, a certain declaration of morality. Its very foundation is based off of not an objective or natural fact from the Scottish Enlightenment, yet instead from their own self-declared moral supremacy.

Back
Top Bottom