• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Independent Investigation of the Assault on the Capital.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It appears that Senate Minority Leader Addison McConnell will thwart efforts for the formation of an independent commission similar to the 9/11 commission to investigate the events of the attack on the nation's Capital. He well may be right in doing so. One of the functions of such a commission is to discover the roots of the attack. Senate Minority Leader McConnell has apparently already done so, negating, at least in part, the need.

In his own words:

“There's no question — none — that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day. No question about it. The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their president. The leader of the free world cannot spend weeks thundering that shadowy forces are stealing our country and then feign surprise when people believe him and do reckless things."

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

The public does already know many of the facts surrounding the events of January 6th. What I’d really like to see is McCarthy and other Republican leaders compelled to tell what the public doesn’t know, including confirming or denying his reported conversation with Trump.

It appears that Senate Minority Leader Addison McConnell will thwart efforts for the formation of an independent commission similar to the 9/11 commission to investigate the events of the attack on the nation's Capital. He well may be right in doing so. One of the functions of such a commission is to discover the roots of the attack. Senate Minority Leader McConnell has apparently already done so, negating, at least in part, the need.

In his own words:

“There's no question — none — that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day. No question about it. The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their president. The leader of the free world cannot spend weeks thundering that shadowy forces are stealing our country and then feign surprise when people believe him and do reckless things."

Careful what you wish for Senator McTurtle...
No select commission means the House will create a Select Committee to investigate. D majority means D control. Maybe some R's are regretting forming "The United States House Select Committee on Events Surrounding the 2012 Terrorist Attack in Benghazi." This committee will subpoena 45, McCarthy, and Barr.

In his own words:

But that was on a friday and today is monday and monday's thoughts cancel out friday's thoughts. Get with the plan. The gop leadership at this point doesn't know whether to shit or go blind.

No select commission means the House will create a Select Committee to investigate. D majority means D control. Maybe some R's are regretting forming "The United States House Select Committee on Events Surrounding the 2012 Terrorist Attack in Benghazi." This committee will subpoena 45, McCarthy, and Barr.

Hi, mrjurrs!

Events will unroll as they will. I find it amusing.

But that was on a friday and today is monday and monday's thoughts cancel out friday's thoughts. Get with the plan. The gop leadership at this point doesn't know whether to shit or go blind.

Hi, bobgsaway!

Thoughts may change, but statements, once made, tend to be indelible.

Hi, mrjurrs!

Events will unroll as they will. I find it amusing.

I must say that I find nothing about the ongoing attack on our government remotely funny. Absurd yes, funny...nope.

They will unfold without any reaction to my desires that's for sure.

Hi, bobgsaway!

Thoughts may change, but statements, once made, tend to be indelible.

Lol, not really just ask any republican of today. Hell they are in the process of trying to make january the sixth disappear regardless of any comment any of them may have made.

Sounds good. Have they scheduled the vote yet?

P.S. what's the punishment for blowing off a subpoena? You know he won't show. Or if he does, he'll take the Fifth to every question, including his name. So I just got less excited about it.

I must say that I find nothing about the ongoing attack on our government remotely funny. Absurd yes, funny...nope.

They will unfold without any reaction to my desires that's for sure.

Hi again.

Funny, definitely not. Watching politicians expose their baser instincts in public isn't funny at all.

Democracy, particularly a representative democracy such as that of the United States of America, has it's flaws. A quote attributed to Sir Winston Churchill:

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Regards, best to you and yours.

Sounds good. Have they scheduled the vote yet?

P.S. what's the punishment for blowing off a subpoena? You know he won't show. Or if he does, he'll take the Fifth to every question, including his name. So I just got less excited about it.
Still trying to pass the independent commission, so a D led investigation remains the second best option. 45 isn't president anymore. There would be consequences in the legal system for not complying with court orders

Hi again.

Funny, definitely not. Watching politicians expose their baser instincts in public isn't funny at all.

Democracy, particularly a representative democracy such as that of the United States of America, has it's flaws. A quote attributed to Sir Winston Churchill:

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Regards, best to you and yours.
Didn't Churchill also say something like '...the worst form of government in the world is democracy, until you've tried all the other forms.'

I believe the courts should have exclusive rights to investigate and prosecute accordingly.

It appears that Senate Minority Leader Addison McConnell will thwart efforts for the formation of an independent commission similar to the 9/11 commission to investigate the events of the attack on the nation's Capital. He well may be right in doing so. One of the functions of such a commission is to discover the roots of the attack. Senate Minority Leader McConnell has apparently already done so.
Clearly, Republicans are putting themselves before the country and the Constitution as they want to hide an invasion of our capitol so they can win in 2022.

Clearly, McCarthy and McConnell are trying desperately to protect their asses. Here's why.

“The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding,” McCarthy said on January 13.

McConnell told us on Feb. 13 that the rioters had been "fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth. Because he was angry he'd lost an election."

"Former President Trump's actions that preceded the riot were a disgraceful, disgraceful dereliction of duty," added McConnell. "Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day."

Now they ask, "how high?" when Trump tells them to jump.

Defeat of the commission in the Senate is Trump's want. Once again, we must ask, just how stupid is this man?

"I certainly could call for hearings in the House with a majority of members being Democrats, and full subpoena power, and the agenda being determined by Democrats -- but that’s not the path we have chosen to go," Speaker Pelosi asserted.

Which would be better for Trump and the Republican Party? A bipartisan commission, five members chosen by Democrats, five members chosen by McCarthy, subpoenas approved by all; or an investigation with full subpoena power with Democrats in charge?

Taking into account his own well-being, Trump didn't answer that question well. Apparently, he wants the Democrats to investigate, and that is likely to happen if McConnell and McCarthy have their way after listening to Trump.

Surprisingly, every member of Trump's flock adore him. That's a problem for the GOP. It explains why they are acting so foolishly.

No Republican will deal with the issues contained in this post. They will probably want to talk about Biden and the Democrats.

Didn't Churchill also say something like '...the worst form of government in the world is democracy, until you've tried all the other forms.'

Yup! We missed out on a good one. Had his father been American and his mother British, instead of the other way around ... .

Clearly, Republicans are putting themselves before the country and the Constitution as they want to hide an invasion of our capitol so they can win in 2022.

Clearly, McCarthy and McConnell are trying desperately to protect their asses. Here's why.

“The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding,” McCarthy said on January 13.

McConnell told us on Feb. 13 that the rioters had been "fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth. Because he was angry he'd lost an election."

"Former President Trump's actions that preceded the riot were a disgraceful, disgraceful dereliction of duty," added McConnell. "Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day."

Now they ask, "how high?" when Trump tells them to jump.

Defeat of the commission in the Senate is Trump's want. Once again, we must ask, just how stupid is this man?

"I certainly could call for hearings in the House with a majority of members being Democrats, and full subpoena power, and the agenda being determined by Democrats -- but that’s not the path we have chosen to go," Speaker Pelosi asserted.

Which would be better for Trump and the Republican Party? A bipartisan commission, five members chosen by Democrats, five members chosen by McCarthy, subpoenas approved by all; or an investigation with full subpoena power with Democrats in charge?

Taking into account his own well-being, Trump didn't answer that question well. Apparently, he wants the Democrats to investigate, and that is likely to happen if McConnell and McCarthy have their way after listening to Trump.

Surprisingly, every member of Trump's flock adore him. That's a problem for the GOP. It explains why they are acting so foolishly.

No Republican will deal with the issues contained in this post. They will probably want to talk about Biden and the Democrats.

Hi, Sandy Shanks!

Thank you for your extensive reply to my post.

In response to your penultimate paragraph [Ed.: Torus just can't pass up a chance to alliterate,] the Republican federal congressmen are not, in my opinion, acting foolishly. They are, however, acting both in their own short term interests and in doing so, are showing themselves to be morally and ethically spineless.

What we are witness to is an attempt at a minority take-over of the government of the United States of America. To say that it cannot happen here is to ignore the world history of the past hundred years and a number of currently on-going instances in Turkey, Russia, Egypt and Hungary, among other nations.

I'll not know how it turns out. My present age is such that the actuaries bet against me voting in 2024.

Still trying to pass the independent commission, so a D led investigation remains the second best option. 45 isn't president anymore. There would be consequences in the legal system for not complying with court orders
Yes but the problem is anyone still has the right to challenge the subpoena in court. Especially one with lots of lawyer money. We all saw how long it took for the courts to force Don McGann's testimony. Almost 2 years. So that basically renders a subpoena useless.

I believe the courts should have exclusive rights to investigate and prosecute accordingly.
The courts interpret the laws, they don't prosecute.

Yes but the problem is anyone still has the right to challenge the subpoena in court. Especially one with lots of lawyer money. We all saw how long it took for the courts to force Don McGann's testimony. Almost 2 years. So that basically renders a subpoena useless.
I don't disagree, you can run, but you can't hide. The wheels of justice grind slowly, but they grind relentlessly.

In response to your penultimate paragraph [Ed.: Torus just can't pass up a chance to alliterate,] the Republican federal congressmen are not, in my opinion, acting foolishly. They are, however, acting both in their own short term interests and in doing so, are showing themselves to be morally and ethically spineless.
We are in agreement.

Today's Republicans are so predictable.

Back
Top Bottom