• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Implications of Evolution: Ideas Have Consequences

Gravity is a law. Evolution can't be.

Do you understand why?

By what metric do you consider gravity a law that cannot be applied to evolution?

And yet you brought it up.

So who or what is your Creator.

Again, it's a simple question.

My Creator is my God.

I'm not a Christian, if that's what you're asking.

FFS?

It is the kind of book i would read. I've also read Origin of the Species (or large parts of it anyway).

So what do you make of someone willing to examine both sides?
Yet you're still pushing creationist nonsense.

I make your book that tries to prove myths such as the great flood actually happened as a waste of my time. You 're not giving an alternative, you're making shit up.

So you attack the merits of the book by attacking the author instead of his work.

And you do all this without ever having read the book.

Amateurish.
No, I simply give an opinion of how ridiculous he must be to write such crap. It's the crap he is writing that I base that on as I have no knowledge of the person.

No, I simply give an opinion of how ridiculous he must be to write such crap. It's the crap he is writing that I base that on as I have no knowledge of the person.
And still you referred to him as an idiot.

Very amateurish.

And the quotes I provided--by leading evolutionist-- prove otherwise.
BS.

It is from scientists. In Scientific American.........a source that is way more credible in matters of science than your "Christian Book" source.

You understand that right?

It almost seems like Baron’s motto is “so many many lies to tell and so little time”. I can’t imagine any other reason for all the clear falsehoods in this post and all the others.......
Um, I'm pretty sure he's convinced himself that most of what he believes on the development of species on Earth is accurate. 🤷 It's what he can find to mold to fit the Bible and his beliefs.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Science. There's nothing your going to teach me on the subject. You're simply not capable.
Even if I believed you, your engineering degree is all about math. There's some physics, but not the other natural sciences.

FFS?

It is the kind of book i would read. I've also read Origin of the Species (or large parts of it anyway).

So what do you make of someone willing to examine both sides?

If you have solid bias confirmation ideas, it makes not a bit of difference.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Science. There's nothing your going to teach me on the subject. You're simply not capable.

It’s not science, it’s engineering. Do you really not know the difference?

It litetally is far more than that.

Using your logic. Evolution is negated because there are many scientist who do not beleve it.

You make this too easy.

There is no evidence that the Bible “proves” a “God”. It’s basically just a literary work rather than a “holy” book.

Why are you dodging my question.

When will YOU answer the many questions that have been asked of you? People avoid your queries because they are troll questions rather than a serious attempt to further discussion.

Gravity is a law. Evolution can't be.

Do you understand why?

And yet you brought it up.

So who or what is your Creator.

Tell us why gravity can’t be a law instead of asking the same troll question over and over.

It litetally is far more than that.
Nope but you are free to try and prove that claim
Using your logic. Evolution is negated because there are many scientist who do not beleve it.

You make this too easy.
Thats isnt how logic works
Umm no evolution is based on evidence. Beliefs in God are based on faith alone and there are many many many different versions (even within the same "religions"

If you can't question it, it's not science....period.
lol... That's not how it works.

Karl Popper claimed -- not without quite a bit of dispute, we should note -- that science should be falsifiable. By that, he means that a theory has to be testable to qualify as science. By that measure, there is no question whatsoever that evolution is scientific. Not only is it based on evidence, not only is every claim it makes testable, but we can even do experiments in labs and in the field that confirm evolution.

Falsifiability doesn't mean that some religiously biased crank can make up a bunch of nonsense and, on that basis, claim "evolution isn't science."

My point (and the point of evolutionary biologist Dr.Provine, PhD.) is that if evolution is true then there is no God, no afterlife, no soul; the end.
...and I've thoroughly explained how that is a) incorrect, and b) not a valid way to "disprove" evolution. Try to keep up.

Not of any note, there's not. Believe it or not everybody that has an opinion is not necessarily a "philosopher"..
lol.... Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about.

There is really no question that professional philosophers, who are publishing in philosophy journals, and almost all of whom teach or used to teach philosophy, are... philosophers.

Secular ethicists "of note" include, but are not limited to:
Sidgwick
Mill
Bentham
Arendt
Anscombe
Sartre
Mackie
Scanlon
Rawls
Foot
Singer
Blackburn
Butler
Parfit
Nussbaum

So, yeah. Moral realism can definitely work without any religious assumptions whatsoever.

Sure there are. Nazi Germany simply leaps to mind, as well as, any communist country. Jim Jones's (not a Christian, by the way) had a wonderful ethic...didn't he?
:rolleyes:

Yet more ignorance. None of the individuals that I listed above view Nazism or genocide as morally acceptable. The Nazis were Christians, and most certainly weren't reading Mill or Kant. Meanwhile, Christianity -- as in, the actual theological, ethical and political positions of Christianity, and its scriptures -- were and still are used to justify forced conversions, torture, invasions, colonizations, racism, forced labor, slavery, genocide, and other things we now see as morally untenable.

Maybe you ought to get off your high horse about the alleged ethical superiority of religions, because... it just isn't true.

At the end of the day, you have people with opinions that are founded on...nothing.
At the end of the day, you have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously. You don't even understand the basis of secular ethics, which means you are in no position whatsoever to comment on its foundations.

Meanwhile, religious ethics are often the ones built on sand. They are injunctions that a bunch of humans conveniently claim come from a divine source -- which they enforce or ignore arbitrarily. Christians bend over backwards to avoid thinking about issues like theodicy or the Euthyphro Dilemma.

And, of course, we see how religious commands can often be completely ineffective at enforcing ethics. For example, half of American Christians regard premarital sex as morally acceptable. Kinda seems like a dismal failure, huh?

But this is a problem with Christians--not Christianity.
Lol... By that logic, we could also say that the problems with Communism were with the individual leaders, not with Communism itself. Does that work for you? Anyway....

Both Christians and various Christian institutions and Christian leaders are the ones changing their minds. Any claims about "eternal unchanging ethics" is just a self-serving lie or an ignorant assertion, because that simply doesn't exist. Even a cursory reading of history should make that apparent.

You can take any passage and twist it to meet your own agenda.
That's not an answer to my question. Does Christianity view slavery as ethical or unethical? And how do you actually prove that your answer is based on some sort of unchanging, eternal interpretation instead of... mere opinion? And if others can arrive at the opposite conclusion as you, and be just as certain as you, then how do you prove that you're the one who is right?

You can't. All you have is your opinion that your interpretation is the right one.

Obviously this is a philosophical statement.
lol, only if we are talking about philosophy of science (and yeah, that's a thing, look it up). Anyway: It's a factual statement about evolution, and how science doesn't address unfalsifiable questions.

As I do not believe that humans "evolved" why would I attempt to prove that we have anything other than free will...which we do, in fact, have.
And again, free will is not inconsistent with evolution. Conversely, claims that humans have souls doesn't actually prove you have free will (see previous explanation).

Heck, you can't even prove that you have free will. All you can do is assert it -- but you don't have access to the evidence that can prove your assertion.

Exactly who believes that? Where does the Bible teach that?
:rolleyes:

Theodicy. Look it up. Seriously.

So--according to your logic--we have a God who says it's a sin to murder and then causes someone to murder?
It's not my logic; it's entailed by Christian theology. Again, read up on theodicy before commenting.

Religion doesn't explain quantum mechanics either so I'm not really following here.
My point is that claiming "you have a soul, therefore you have free will" does not explain why decisions allegedly made by a fundamentally non-physical thing (soul) are influenced or altered by a purely physical object (a drug).

However, this is a biblically founded belief.
lol... No, dude. You're completely missing the point. Claiming that the events on one planet out of an estimated 21,600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 in the observable universe has any meaning, other than to the inhabitants of that planet, is completely and utterly absurd, in the fullest sense of the word. (It gets even worse if it turns out there are multiverses.)

The idea that individual humans have some sort of "divine purpose" dates back to a time when humans had absolutely no concept of the size or age of the planet they lived on, let alone the universe.

Back
Top Bottom