• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Ignorant Arrogance of Bill Maher

most jews are "liberal", not "leftist". See how conservative parties dominate in israel. Just because many vote for the democrat party, does not make them "leftists". The democrat party, and "the left" are not the same.

It's a ukraine symbol. I support ukraine, don't you? Are you calling ukrainians neo-nazis?
It is the "wolfsangel" which is a nazi symbol and it has been abandoned by the Ukraine party since 2004. Please stop using it. It is offensive. And no most Ukrainians are not Nazi's and they elected a jewish President to prove it. We have neo-nazi's here too. Are you one of them? The use of that symbol suggests you are.

The party changed its name to the All-Ukrainian Union "Svoboda" in February 2004 with the arrival of Oleh Tyahnybok as party leader.[14] Tyahnybok made some efforts to moderate the party's extremist image.[21] The party not only replaced its name, but also abandoned the Wolfsangel logo[8][14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social-National_Party_of_Ukraine

Not a fan of Bill Maher but in this case he is right.

The killing of baby is murder but the abortion of a 15 week old fetus is not murder but hypocritical pro-life activists do not make the difference because doing so would invalidate your emotional claims.

The Bible is not pro-life because there is nowhere in the bible that a fetus is a person or abortion is condemned. How many pregnant women where killed in the flood or in Sodom and Gomorrah? How many will he kill in the rapture?

Half of all fertilized eggs fail to implant and die. Your god doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Typical liberal nonsense. The following from https://righterreport.com/2011/10/29/obama-vs-the-bible-abortion/

"Jeremiah 1:5 – ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
Other prophets and Biblical personalities ordained from their mother’s wombs:

Samson:
Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, “A man of God came to me and his appearance was like the appearance of the angel of God, very awesome. And I did not ask him where he came from, nor did he tell me his name. “But he said to me, `Behold, you shall conceive and give birth to a son, and now you shall not drink wine or strong drink nor eat any unclean thing, for the boy shall be a Nazirite to God from the womb to the day of his death.'” (Judges 13:6-7, see also Judges 16:17)

John the Baptist: “For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine or liquor; and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, while yet in his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15)

Jesus, the Son of God: Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.” – Luke chapter 1

The Apostle Paul: “But when He who had set me apart, even from my mother’s womb, and called me through His grace, was pleased…” (Galatians 1:15)

It is clear in scripture that in some way, God creates life in a mother’s womb.

Psalm 139:13 – ‘For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.’
Of course, the question for ...the pro-abortion crowd, is: What divine insight does the pro-abortion crowd think they have to where they can destroy in a mother’s womb that which God is somehow instrumental in creating? "

(end)

The problem with your extreme view, Lisa, is that you don't have the first clue who that is in the womb, or what God's plan for that baby is.

Off hand, this seems essentially accurate. Anyone who actually buys into the delusion that god - the Divine author of the Universe - would even deign to grant them favors, while the world around them suffers is, by definition, arrogant, vain and self absorbed - at the very least!

Even suggesting that god would single them out for favor seems blasphemous in the extreme, and an insult to god.

Plenty of examples in the Bible where God granted individuals healings or favors. Deuteronomy chapter 28 even tells what those favors are if the people obey God.

So you're talking about things you don't really know about.

Typical liberal nonsense. The following from https://righterreport.com/2011/10/29/obama-vs-the-bible-abortion/

Other prophets and Biblical personalities ordained from their mother’s wombs:

Samson:
Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, “A man of God came to me and his appearance was like the appearance of the angel of God, very awesome. And I did not ask him where he came from, nor did he tell me his name. “But he said to me, `Behold, you shall conceive and give birth to a son, and now you shall not drink wine or strong drink nor eat any unclean thing, for the boy shall be a Nazirite to God from the womb to the day of his death.'” (Judges 13:6-7, see also Judges 16:17)

John the Baptist: “For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine or liquor; and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, while yet in his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15)

Jesus, the Son of God: Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.” – Luke chapter 1

The Apostle Paul: “But when He who had set me apart, even from my mother’s womb, and called me through His grace, was pleased…” (Galatians 1:15)

It is clear in scripture that in some way, God creates life in a mother’s womb.

Of course, the question for ...the pro-abortion crowd, is: What divine insight does the pro-abortion crowd think they have to where they can destroy in a mother’s womb that which God is somehow instrumental in creating? "

(end)

The problem with your extreme view, Lisa, is that you don't have the first clue who that is in the womb, or what God's plan for that baby is.
Your source is laughably biased. When you reply please try something with a hint of facts.

A non-profit, conservative Christian journal

God Bless America

I like him. He gets a little snarky on the subject of Muslims but otherwise he's soundly liberal. He's about as intolerant of excessive leftism as he is about excessive conservatism.
As for abortion, just ask him about the new Texas 'riches for snitches' law, for beginners.
I like him as well. I'm just saying there are plenty of things about him that makes pretty much every group mad. And he's not snarky about Muslims. He's accurate about the liberal hypocrisy regarding how they behave towards Muslims vs say...Christians.

well, he's a jew for one. The left doesn't like jews, and never really has. Jew haters on the right are also slowly rising up.

Says the guy with the Nazi avatar.

well, he's a jew for one. The left doesn't like jews, and never really has. Jew haters on the right are also slowly rising up.
Yeah...I don't get it but Jews seem to be disliked by so many groups and people and I don't know why.

Off hand, this seems essentially accurate. Anyone who actually buys into the delusion that god - the Divine author of the Universe - would even deign to grant them favors, while the world around them suffers is, by definition, arrogant, vain and self absorbed - at the very least!

Even suggesting that god would single them out for favor seems blasphemous in the extreme, and an insult to god.

'Suggesting that God would single them out," offers a new insight.

So - what you're saying?
Maher may've sounded bitter. But, that's not only it, is it?
You're also ....................................envious?

Hahahaha, then why is Maher attacking and shaming Christians for claiming God had granted them favors!
What harm does claiming about those do to anyone? I don't think anyone had tied Maher down and forced him to listen!

On one hand he's talking about liberal principles - well, what he was quoted, isn't that an attack on freedom of expression? Religion?

HE IS A FRAUD!
He is posturing! For ratings.....or, to feel relevant.
Why do you care? Has his words insulted you? Have they, somehow, shaken your faith? Ive noted it's the MAGA/conservative/ GOP way to complain about everything.... Aren't you supposed to turn the other cheek? What do you care about anything bill Maher says?

“People who think that their GOD GRANTS THEM SPECIAL FAVORS WHILE THAT SAME GOD ALLOWS MILLIONS of kids to suffer and starve, ARE NOT ONLY DELUSIONAL,
THEY'RE ALSO ESPECIALLY ARROGANT, VAIN. AND SELF-ABSORBED. “

It is a correct statement.

God, to be God, must allow for life, choice, and consequence. People that seek Gods intervention would be better served to seek Gods peace and inspiration and BE the intervention.

It's a ukraine symbol. I support ukraine, don't you? Are you calling ukrainians neo-nazis?
No it's not. It's a symbol of a defunct fascist, neo-Nazi, far right party that adopted a common Nazi symbol. Gaslighting isn't going to work here.

The name Bill Maher sounds familiar, associating him with politics - but I never really thought about him. It was only when someone posted a quote from Bill Maher, using it as some sort of rebuke on certain Christians,
did I google this guy and found out he is an atheist.

This is the quote:

“People who think that their GOD GRANTS THEM SPECIAL FAVORS WHILE THAT SAME GOD ALLOWS MILLIONS of kids to suffer and starve, ARE NOT ONLY DELUSIONAL,
THEY'RE ALSO ESPECIALLY ARROGANT, VAIN. AND SELF-ABSORBED. “

That quote has been promptly taken down right after my reaction was given, but too late: it's been copied and pasted.

Actually, Maher is precisely correct on this matter and you are a classic textbook example of why. Your own behavior, the nature of your responses, and how you treat people in these forums especially is even more arrogant and ignorant than Maher could ever achieve.

We have every reason to be concerned, as well as very critical, of those that look up at the sky thinking God did something very special to them while ignoring so many who do suffer in a multitude of ways across this globe.

It is not bitter to point out the arrogant foolishness that religion brings upon people, and you are doing this to yourself with foolishness like "Testifying to what God has done for you, is a powerful evidence that no one can refute" which is exactly what Maher is talking about. It is both moral and intellectual laziness to conclude good things happening to you is God's grace while things not so good are God's plan or nonsense like "his ways are beyond us."

Now you may not like that criticism and become bitter yourself, like this or several thousand other threads and posts you have made in this area of the forums alone.

It is delusional and frankly dangerous to conclude someone winning a game, or having a good year, or seeing dinner on your plate, or having your house skipped over during some weather event, or by chance surviving cancer is God doing something for you when so many suffer greatly to the point of loss of life regardless of their strength of belief including what you believe.

At least with an atheist, or agnostic, or someone who subscribes to science would look to why bad things happen to people. Despite the angry and bitter response from those who would rather turn to Bronze Age mythology as to why 1800 kids per year on average die of cancer, or many more per year from gun related deaths, or why breast cancer is a thing at all (all of those are just examples to make a point.)

Looking to credit God or blame the Devil or some other combination of things is literally a mental fantasy scapegoat for the realities we face.

It is not Bill Maher that is ignorant or arrogant, it is those that think they are given something by an imaginary friend simply because it is their relationship with that illusion.

No, you are. Liberalism is intellectual and spiritual syphilis.
Jesus was a liberal. He fed and cured people and didn't take money for it. He told people not to judge others but to love/care for them as they would him or themselves.
Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” -Matthew 19:21-24

I'm calling the Nazi party scum of Ukraine a Nazi party and wonder about something that gets it's rocks off on pretending to be a hard man on the internet.

Why do you care? Has his words insulted you? Have they, somehow, shaken your faith?

Lol - you're asking the wrong person. You should ask Maher that!

Why does he care if some people claim to have been granted favour by their God?
Was it too unsettling for Maher - that some people have claimed to have had their own experience with God?
Does it gives him cold sweat?

Aren't you supposed to turn the other cheek?
:rolleyes:

Lol - if you're going to appeal to the "turning of the other cheek" - which in this case you mean, I ought to just let it pass - you better take that in the right context.

This is, APOLOGETICS.

How do you turn the other cheek in a..................................... DEBATE?

2 Corinthians 10

5 We are destroying arguments and all arrogance raised against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

Titus 1
9 holding firmly the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and
to refute those who contradict it.

Philippians 1
7 It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the
defense and confirmation of the gospel.

Ephesians 5:11
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead
expose them.

2 Timothy 2:15

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth.

What do you care about anything bill Maher says?
I don't care what he says.

I care that others might mistakenly feel shamed from testifying and giving their testimonies!
I care that others are falling for it - including some Christians, who even upholds his ignorance of the Scriptures, which he uses AGAINST THE SCRIPTURES!

I care that the devil succeeds in misleading others! THRU MAHER - and those who promote his words!

'Suggesting that God would single them out," offers a new insight.

So - what you're saying?
Maher may've sounded bitter. But, that's not only it, is it?
You're also ....................................envious?
More assumptions without evidence - ironically, the foundation of all "true believers". ☺️

Lol - you're asking the wrong person. You should ask Maher that!

Why does he care if some people claim to have been granted favour by their God?
Was it too unsettling for Maher - that some people have claimed to have had their own experience with God?
Does it gives him cold sweat?

:rolleyes:

Lol - if you're going to appeal to the "turning of the other cheek" - which in this case you mean, I ought to just let it pass - you better take that in the right context.

This is, APOLOGETICS.

How do you turn the other cheek in a..................................... DEBATE?

2 Corinthians 10

5 We are destroying arguments and all arrogance raised against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

Titus 1
9 holding firmly the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and
to refute those who contradict it.

Philippians 1
7 It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the
defense and confirmation of the gospel.

Ephesians 5:11

Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

2 Timothy 2:15

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth.

I don't care what he says.

I care that others might mistakenly feel shamed from testifying and giving their testimonies!
I care that others are falling for it - including some Christians, who even upholds his ignorance of the Scriptures, which he uses AGAINST THE SCRIPTURES!

I care that the devil succeeds in misleading others! THRU MAHER - and those who promote his words!
And yet here you are, whining.... Complaining.... Spouting grievance's over the words of an atheist? How pathetic is that? Who gives a flying f**k what bill says.... Apperantly you. If your Faith is so strong, then how is it shaken so easily?

Actually, Maher is precisely correct on this matter and you are a classic textbook example of why. Your own behavior, the nature of your responses, and how you treat people in these forums especially is even more arrogant and ignorant than Maher could ever achieve.

We have every reason to be concerned, as well as very critical, of those that look up at the sky thinking God did something very special to them while ignoring so many who do suffer in a multitude of ways across this globe.

Maher had complained that God doesn't help kids dying from cancer. Maher - and any abortion rights activists - are in no position to critique God, and yet they promote the continuous murder of millions of children all over the world.
That's just too DIABOLICALLY and FARCICALLY HYPOCRITICAL.

Perhaps, Maher, would be more appreciative of God if He decides to intervene in saving millions of children being killed senselessly as we speak - that He decides to get rid of all perpetrators and promoters of abortion?
Would that be okay to you?

It is not bitter to point out the arrogant foolishness that religion brings upon people, and you are doing this to yourself with foolishness like "Testifying to what God has done for you, is a powerful evidence that no one can refute" which is exactly what Maher is talking about. It is both moral and intellectual laziness to conclude good things happening to you is God's grace while things not so good are God's plan or nonsense like "his ways are beyond us." Now you may not like that criticism and become bitter yourself, like this or several thousand other threads and posts you have made in this area of the forums alone.

Depends on who's doing the lecturing, doesn't it?

Maher talks about liberal principles like freedom of religion or choice - and yet, he contradicts himself.

It should be none of your business should people want to believe in faeries, or flying unicorns, or God.
That makes you a controlling busybody. And, it's a double whammy if it comes from ignorance, to boot!

Lol - who wants to be dictated to, or lectured by someone who's ignorant?

It is delusional and frankly dangerous to conclude someone winning a game, or having a good year, or seeing dinner on your plate, or having your house skipped over during some weather event, or by chance surviving cancer is God doing something for you when so many suffer greatly to the point of loss of life regardless of their strength of belief including what you believe.

If someone prayed to God, and his prayer was answered.....who are you to say that ain't so?
You're demonstrating arrogance by that stance.
Especially so when we're talking about the supernatural!

The believer at least, has ground to stand on with his belief - several evidence or reasons for his belief..........................while you're just pulling straws out of the air!
Your stance isn't even rational! Without any basis whatsoever for it - that's the meaning of delusional!

At least with an atheist, or agnostic, or someone who subscribes to science

No. That's another delusion. Atheists don't subscribe to reputable science.

Science is open to the possibility of God.

Although it cannot analyze it - science is open to the realm of the supernatural - which includes RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE.

But science and religion occupy two separate realms of human experience.

Maher had complained that God doesn't help kids dying from cancer. Maher - and any abortion rights activists - are in no position to critique God, and yet they promote the continuous murder of millions of children all over the world.
That's just too DIABOLICALLY and FARCICALLY HYPOCRITICAL.

Perhaps, Maher, would be more appreciative of God if He decides to intervene in saving millions of children being killed senselessly as we speak - that He decides to get rid of all perpetrators and promoters of abortion?
Would that be okay to you?

Yet, God does not do much about those children. You helped my case more than your own.

Depends on who's doing the lecturing, doesn't it?

Maher talks about liberal principles like freedom of religion or choice - and yet, he contradicts himself.

It should be none of your business should people want to believe in faeries, or flying unicorns, or God.
That makes you a controlling busybody. And, it's a double whammy if it comes from ignorance, to boot!

Lol - who wants to be dictated to, or lectured by someone who's ignorant?

Maher did not contradict himself, you are welcome to your beliefs but the moment you try to legislate from them we have issues.

And freedom of religion does not mean those without religion have to say silent. That would go against other rights you so willfully ignored.

If someone prayed to God, and his prayer was answered.....who are you to say that ain't so?
You're demonstrating arrogance by that stance.
Especially so when we're talking about the supernatural!

Anyone appealing to reason over belief, you however appeal to delusion that an old white haired guy in the clouds did something special for you.

The believer at least, has ground to stand on with his belief - several evidence or reasons for his belief..........................while you're just pulling straws out of the air!
Your stance isn't even rational! Without any basis whatsoever for it - that's the meaning of delusional!

Belief is not based on evidence, it is based on someone teaching you to believe something based on Bronze Age text.

No. That's another delusion. Atheists don't subscribe to reputable science.

Science is open to the possibility of God.

Although it cannot analyze it - science is open to the realm of the supernatural - which includes RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE.

But science and religion occupy two separate realms of human experience.

There is nothing on that NASA site promoting religion, and when you get down to it belief is always adversarial to science.

Making you one of the last people to lecture anyone on "reputable" science.

And yet here you are, whining.... Complaining.... Spouting grievance's over the words of an atheist? How pathetic is that? Who gives a flying f**k what bill says.... Apperantly you. If your Faith is so strong, then how is it shaken so easily?

lol - you tried to play "preacher" on me but we've already established with post #44, that just like Maher - you're ignorant of the Scriptures.

Why are you bothered by what I write?
Whether I'm complaining, or whining, or spouting off grievance - what is it to you?

If I'm "pathetic," as you say - why are so worked up over it?
You're the one who's looking so shaken by this. Like as if I'm doing the trapeze with your taut nerves!

Oh for goodness sakes.....
Go out and sit on the porch. Have a cold one.
CHEERS!

Back
Top Bottom