• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The idiocy of mandatory minimum sentences.

what is the sentence this woman ought to have (not what she got but what you think is appropriate)

• no minimum sentence a low number of years probation of jail/house confinement

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • a minimum sentence of 5 years with probation after 3

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • a minimum sentence of 10 years with possible probation after 5 or 6 years

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • a minimum sentence of 25 years with possible probation after 10 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a minimum sentence of life with possible probation after 10 years

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • life in jail with no chance of probation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1. beyond any doubt, the woman in real story is a total moron for kissing a 13 year old and having him touch her breast
2. this state has minimum sentences for this offens, something I disagree with

IMO, she should have been given a long home arrest with ankle bracelet or a minimum security jail for a year or so, hell even 2 years if need be.

Now there is this additional information:
+ she was drunk (not an excuse but a contributing factor) so banning her from drinking alcohol during her sentence was also very logical.
+ she is unlikely to re-offend
+ she is herself victim of sexual abuse as a child

So what do you think that she got as a mandatory minimum sentence, if you know that the minimum sentence for first degree murder with no aggravating facts is 50 years with probation after 20 years.

Please first vote in the poll what you think is the appropriate sentence and then look below for the sentence she got in that state (again murder is 50 with possible probation after 20 years.

Life in jail with possible probation after 10 years, which was her punishment and she got probation after 10 years

Last edited:
And we are not talking about actual penetration, sexual acts on pre-teen children where a child will get scarred for life. We are talking about kiss and fondling.

And the touching boob was over clothes, not bare breast.

Perhaps a link to the story would be helpful

With all due respect, I have no clue who you are talking about.
A drunk woman kissed a 13 year old and put his hand on the clothes over her breast, she was found guilty and got a minimum sentence, what do you think is the appropriate punishment for someone who has been diagnosed as having low chances of doing something like this again and was the victim of sexual abuse as a child herself.

Edited to hopefully give an easier read

1. beyond any doubt, the woman in this question is a total moron for kissing a 13 year old and having him touch her breast

IMO, she should have been given a long home arrest with ankle bracelet or a minimum security jail for a year or so, hell even 2 years if need be.

Now there is this addional information:
+ she was drunk (not an excuse but a contributing factor) so banning her from drinking alcohol during her sentence was also very logical.

So what do you think that she got as a mandatory minimum sentence, if you know that the minimum sentence for first degree murder with no aggravating facts is 50 years with probation after 20 years.

Please first vote in the poll what you think is the appropriate sentence and then look below for the sentence she got in that state (again murder is 50 with possible probation after 20 years.

Life in jail with possible probation after 10 years, which was her punishment and she got probation after 10 years

BS on her not being likely to reoffend. She's a pedophile. If she likes little boys that's not going to change and she's going to act on it again. I don't know if locking her up is the answer but it's an easy solution to keep her from preying on children.

BS on her not being likely to reoffend. She's a pedophile. If she likes little boys that's not going to change and she's going to act on it again. I don't know if locking her up is the answer but it's an easy solution to keep her from preying on children.
It was stated during the court case that she has a low chance to re-offend. And drunk giving a 13 year old a kiss is not a raging pedophile. Let her get registered as sex offender, but this is about the mandatory minimum sentence she got and what you think was appropriate for this minor offense with zero nudity.

You already did that
I blurred it out to give people the chance to give their view (in the poll) as what the punishment would have been appropriate for this specific case.

Mandatory sentences make sense so criminals can't keep getting out over and over only to commit more crimes. In this particular case I can't believe if what she did wasn't so bad that she wouldn't have been allowed to plead it down to a lesser charge.

It was stated during the court case that she has a low chance to re-offend. And drunk giving a 13 year old a kiss is not a raging pedophile. Let her get registered as sex offender, but this is about the mandatory minimum sentence she got and what you think was appropriate for this minor offense with zero nudity.

Stated by who? Like I said if she is attracted to young boys that isn't going to change and she will do it again.

Stated by who? Like I said if she is attracted to young boys that isn't going to change and she will do it again.
Her lawyer, and I am pretty sure they are not allowed to lie in court.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You owe me a coke because you just made me spit mine out. That's a great line.
Are they allowed to lie in court? That sounds insane. Now if there is no report from probation about the re-offending odds and she would make such a claim, well that should be prosecuted IMO. I might be a liberal social democrat, but lying in court about factual things like a medical report about re-offending sounds like a violation of their oath of office.

1. beyond any doubt, the woman in real story is a total moron for kissing a 13 year old and having him touch her breast

An adult sexually interacting with a minor is .. mind blowing. Why would one care about leniency with this type of scenario? Lucky youth ... unlucky adult.

An adult sexually interacting with a minor is .. mind blowing. Why would one care about leniency with this type of scenario? Lucky youth ... unlucky adult.
It is stupidity of the woman, but leniency is not the issue here, it is the mandatory prison sentence she got and what you think should have been given for a minor offense like this one.

It is stupidity of the woman, but leniency is not the issue here, it is the mandatory prison sentence she got and what you think should have been given for a minor offense like this one.
I believe it's stupid for an adult to engage with a minor.... take advantage ... and in this case ... probably provide great grades. Stupid .. dumb ... immature and the adult needs to suffer their consequences for those decisions.

I believe it's stupid for an adult to engage with a minor.... take advantage ... and in this case ... probably provide great grades. Stupid .. dumb ... immature and the adult needs to suffer their consequences for those decisions.
Yes, but the issue is how long is appropriate.

Are they allowed to lie in court? That sounds insane. Now if there is no report from probation about the re-offending odds and she would make such a claim, well that should be prosecuted IMO. I might be a liberal social democrat, but lying in court about factual things like a medical report about re-offending sounds like a violation of their oath of office.

I mean outright lying is punishable but it's accepted that lawyers lie through omission and half truths. I'm sure the defense paid an "expert" to say that she wasn't likely to re offend but that doesn't mean a whole lot

Does this woman have a name?

I oppose minimum sentences because no legislative committeewas sitting in the trial or that sentencing hearing, listening to defense cousel and the DA's office recommendations and arguments, or the testimony of mental health experts, or witnesses or the victim, or the perpetrator herself. We literally train and pay judges to weigh all these factors as part of their jobs and then remove them as relevant factors in the result.

I would be a hypocrite to participate in your exercise because you are trying to do the same thing based only on media accounts when you were not trained or educated as a judge and also were not sitting in on the trial or the sentencing hearing.

Just like that legislative committee, you and I are in a crappy position to make this call, because we are not even sitting in the baseball stands when this ball was pitched, let alone behind the plate!

I blurred it out to give people the chance to give their view (in the poll) as what the punishment would have been appropriate for this specific case.

You are just as bad as a shady defense lawyer, forget the facts filter them down to the facts you want to present.

Back
Top Bottom