• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Hotseat - jallman

Apostle13 said:
Why Alaska?

I assume you mean as a place to settle for a while? I came here for my brother who was going through a difficult time in his life. I had just been laid off from my job at The Body Shop corporate headquarters in Wake Forest NC and had a sizeable savings and some time to kill. My brother was stationed here at Elmendorf AFB and was not feeling so good about life at the time...and it was more convenient for me than anyone to come and be close to him. The plan was that I would come here and spend a month or so, then move on to South Korea for a month of travel and finally back home. I got waylaid by the beauty of this place...to see the mountains fall off directly into the sea is something. To take a flight out of here in June and see the green fade into white glacier and then back to green again as you hit Fairbanks is breath taking. Plus, I like to hunt and fish...salmon runs are the best for fishing and to bring down a moose is indescribable to one who hasnt experienced it.

I neither condemn nor condone homosexuality... While the scriptures are quite plain Old and New concerning this matter... The bible also states: We are to "continue working out our own salvation with fear and trembling" ... And yet this is in a context of obedience. (Philippians 2:12)
Considering your faith, I am curious do you often/sometimes feel a rift between God and yourself?

It is truly not for me to know the mind of God, and I would never seek to alter the doctrine of the Church. However, I do separate the two agendas and I must disagree about the new testament being clear on homosexuality. If you follow the original greek texts' references to homosexuality, you see that the word malakoi is used in almost every case. That word refers more to the effiminate male prostitute than it does to the homosexual act or lifestyle. Yes, you may call it grasping and ungodly justification if you wish, but after all, you did reference Philippians 2:12.

Even the old testament has its ambiguities. Jonathan and David did not seem to have the most platonic relationship when you really look at it. Remember, when Jonathan tossed the spear into the field to send his servant away...

41 And as soon as the lad was gone, David arose out of a place toward the south, and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed himself three times: and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, until David exceeded. 42 And Jonathan said to David, Go in peace, forasmuch as we have sworn both of us in the name of the LORD, saying, The LORD be between me and thee, and between my seed and thy seed for ever. And he arose and departed: and Jonathan went into the city. 1 Samuel 20: 41-42

Other translations have said that they grabbed eachothers thigh and fell into the field. The strange nature of their relationship is further confirmed with David's very first psalm, which was written to Jonathan after David heard he fell in battle...

25 How are the mighty fallen in the midst of the battle! O Jonathan, thou wast slain in thine high places. 26 I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women. 2 Samuel 1:26

So you see, the ambiguities shown in even the relationship of our David, Goliath slayer, and Jonathan give me some comfort and reassurance that I may not be so condemned of God after all...

How do/would you deal with religious persecution regarding your sexual preference?

I dont actually. Everyone is free to believe how they wish so long as they allow me the same freedom. I do, sometimes, feel a bit alienated from the Church, but I never feel alienated from God.

Seems you are well versed in scripture... Is this because you feel that God has placed a higher calling on you?

Absolutely not. I am just a guy who happens to have an interest in the scriptures and all the meditations they inspire. A calling toward the priesthood is a task I know I would fail at and so, out of respect for my God and my Church, I would not try to aspire to.

I know these were hard/personal questions. I appreciate your candor.
I always wanted to see Alaska in the summer seems you have rekindled that here... If/when I shoot a moose it could only be with a Canon (dig cam)..:smile:

Apostle13 said:
I know these were hard/personal questions. I appreciate your candor.
I always wanted to see Alaska in the summer seems you have rekindled that here... If/when I shoot a moose it could only be with a Canon (dig cam)..:smile:

Not at all, bro. Thats what this thread is all about, right. Besides, they are questions I am well prepared to answer ;)

Truthfully, my first shot of a moose was off the back deck of my apartment with a camera, too. Those bastards come right up into the middle of everything during the winter. I had one block my front door for a half hour one time and made me late for work. :mrgreen:

jallman said:
Truthfully, my first shot of a moose was off the back deck of my apartment with a camera, too. Those bastards come right up into the middle of everything during the winter. I had one block my front door for a half hour one time and made me late for work. :mrgreen:

Are you man enough to try to take a Moose in season with a shovel?

You let a Moose make you late for work?

I retract my first question.

aprilfool20057xe.jpg

teacher said:
Are you man enough to try to take a Moose in season with a shovel?

You let a Moose make you late for work?

I retract my first question.

have you ever encountered a cow moose with a baby...they can be vicious. If you get between them and their young, they charge. 700-1000 lbs of dumb charging steak is not my idea of an fair fight LOL

I would have shot her, but like I said, she had a calf and that just wouldnt be right.

Originally posted by jallman:
have you ever encountered a cow moose with a baby...they can be vicious. If you get between them and their young, they charge. 700-1000 lbs of dumb charging steak is not my idea of an fair fight LOL

I would have shot her, but like I said, she had a calf and that just wouldnt be right.
Have you ever got drunk on Moosehead beer and threw up a cow while watching Rocky and Bullwinkle?

here's a question I've been dying to ask you...

have you ever had the opportunity to participate in a hippy free love fest?? *grin*

if so, did you go for it?? please describe?? (PG-13 answers only of course lol)

nineplus said:
here's a question I've been dying to ask you...

have you ever had the opportunity to participate in a hippy free love fest?? *grin*

if so, did you go for it?? please describe?? (PG-13 answers only of course lol)

The smell of patchouli nauseates me, so no hippy free love fests for me. :mrgreen:

Billo_Really said:
Have you ever got drunk on Moosehead beer and threw up a cow while watching Rocky and Bullwinkle?

The cartoon of the live action movie? LOL

Moosehead is one of my top ten beers, by the way. It is very popular here in AK.

Originally posted by jallman:
The cartoon of the live action movie? LOL

Moosehead is one of my top ten beers, by the way. It is very popular here in AK.
Moosehead is good beer. So is Moulsen Golden. Them snowbacks really know how to make good beer.

jallman said:
The smell of patchouli nauseates me, so no hippy free love fests for me. :mrgreen:

and here I was all prepared to live vicariously through you..........oh well :)

we're not over the hill just yet. who knows, maybe we'll find ourselves a patchouli-free love fest yet *wink*

Originally Posted by jallman
The smell of patchouli nauseates me, so no hippy free love fests for me.
How about some fried okra? Wouldn't breaded snot sound good right now? Wash it down with a good old fashioned bottle of Boones Farm?

nineplus said:
and here I was all prepared to live vicariously through you..........oh well :)

we're not over the hill just yet. who knows, maybe we'll find ourselves a patchouli-free love fest yet *wink*

If you do find one, let me know where and I will meet you there. ;)

Billo_Really said:
How about some fried okra? Wouldn't breaded snot sound good right now? Wash it down with a good old fashioned bottle of Boones Farm?

Okra is only slimy if you boil it. When its fried, its really good. In fact, I had some today with my lunch..went perfectly with the fried chicken, collard greens, and black eyed peas...of course all was generally coated with hot sauce.

Unfortunatel, Roscoes doesnt have a liquor license, so no Boone's Farm for me today...though now you mention it, I wouldnt mind filling a mason jar with Strawberry Hill and sipping on that for the rest of the day. :cool:

jallman said:
If you do find one, let me know where and I will meet you there. ;)

maybe we just need to set up our own?? lolol

teacher said:
So let me get this right.

You lets a Moose keep make you late for work AND you like Okra?
Would it be better the other way around?...:doh

jallman, I have the following questions:

Many times, men don't like all the cuddling and lovey dovey stuff that women like. Is making out and cuddling important in your relationship?

Who is the more dominant person in your relationship?

Do you have siblings, and, if so, how do they feel about your being gay? Do you have good relationships with them?

Have you ever bought a Playgirl magazine?

aps said:
jallman, I have the following questions:

Many times, men don't like all the cuddling and lovey dovey stuff that women like. Is making out and cuddling important in your relationship?

For the first time, it actually has become rather important with this one. We are quite affectionate with one another when we are at home, but I still dont do the public affection very well. There is a strong sense of romance between us and we have our little rituals...for instance, once a month at least we get a bottle of champagne or port and strawberries and spend an evening just hanging out on a blanket by the fireplace. In past relationships, however, I was really turned off by the whole romance thing and preferred just to have a buddy to hang out with.

Who is the more dominant person in your relationship?

Thats really hard to say. It depends on what aspect of the relationship we're talking about. When it comes to finances, I am definitely the most dominant. When it comes to running our household, he is clearly more in control. Decision making passes back and forth between us, mostly because I just am not in the mood to decide trivial things like where we are going for dinner. I think with important decisions, I make most of them, but when he puts his foot down, he normally gets his way.

Do you have siblings, and, if so, how do they feel about your being gay? Do you have good relationships with them?

Yes, my entire family knows and we are all very comfortable with it. I am very close to both my brother and sister. They are also close to my boyfriend and treat him like one of the family.

Have you ever bought a Playgirl magazine?

Umm, no I have never bought one, but I have looked at them. I have bought other magazines such as Jocks, Freshmen, and the Falcon catalogue. My favorite magazines for eye candy are the Abercrombie and Fitch quarterlies, though.

What do you do for a living, I seem to remember you saying you taught, am I correct in this assumption?;)

Jallman,

If you could change one thing about your state - what would it be?

Have you ever thought of running for office?

Besides this one, :mrgreen:, what is your favorite website?

Deegan said:
What do you do for a living, I seem to remember you saying you taught, am I correct in this assumption?;)

I design networks and implement point of sales solutions for restaurants and hotels mostly...some retail outfits but mostly in the hospitality industry. My main focus is on the network security and wide area solutions for frachises.

At night I teach an ESL class at the university. I did teach an english literature class last semester and it was so much fun I am going to try to get the next night class that comes available.

vauge said:
Jallman,

If you could change one thing about your state - what would it be?

Have you ever thought of running for office?

Besides this one, :mrgreen:, what is your favorite website?

Well now...one thing to change about my state would definitely be the length of the winters. Winter here starts at the end of september and lasts until the beginning of may, practically. I get tired of it by the time february gets here, but I think that might be from having grown up in the south where winter begins in november and ends in late january most years. LOL

I am not suited for public office as I sometimes have the tact of a sledgehammer. I am polite, for the most part, but when I get irritated or angry, it is very obvious. I tend to be a little too direct for the delicate art of spin that is required for holding and maintaining an office...except dictator...now that one I could probably handle. :mrgreen:

This is actually my favorite website just because of the fun and interesting people I get to interact with. A close second would have to be theonion.com just for the laughs I get in reading it. For my news, I got to fox.com and cnn.com just because those are the channels I watch most for my news.

Hey jallman, sorry I'm late, it seems your times up, but I just found this thread. Anyway, I know we had our differences over on the religion forums, but it's nothing personal, you're a pretty cool guy.:2razz: Anywho, I know you like Smallville, so how did you get into watching it?

Back
Top Bottom