• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Hijab: tool of oppression or somthing more?

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Here is a question worth asking: what is the purpose of the hijab, the veil that is worn by women who practice the tenants of the Islamic faith?

Is it a tool of religious oppression? A symbol of religious faith.

Or can it be used as a political protest and pride?

Like all things, it's all about relativity. There's Muslim women who believe the hijab allows them control over who gets to enjoy their beauty and look down on women from other cultures that dress scantly. Personally I think the symbolism of the Hijab should be decided by the wearer.

Here is a question worth asking: what is the purpose of the hijab, the veil that is worn by women who practice the tenants of the Islamic faith?

its a symbol of religious faith...I have no problem with a head scarf

but don't even get me going on the burqa, the chador, or the niqab...they are symbols of oppression and there is no room for debate on them

They use these to hide their beauty to try to ward off being raped.
If they attract male attention they will likely be raped so they try to hide themselves from rapists to stay moderately more safe, knowing that if they are raped there isn't much they can do about it due to laws where if they complain about being raped they are the ones likely to get in trouble..

its a symbol of religious faith...I have no problem with a head scarf

but don't even get me going on the burqa, the chador, or the niqab...they are symbols of oppression and there is no room for debate on them

Did you ever have the chance to read the book "9 parts of desire: the secret lives of Muslim women"?

It has a chapter that describes how Iranian woman protested the Shah's government by wearing the chador, burqa, and/or the niqab.

Did you ever have the chance to read the book "9 parts of desire: the secret lives of Muslim women"?

It has a chapter that describes how Iranian woman protested the Shah's government by wearing the chador, burqa, and/or the niqab.
it's still on my list...3 more to go... :thumbs:

Like all things, it's all about relativity. There's Muslim women who believe the hijab allows them control over who gets to enjoy their beauty and look down on women from other cultures that dress scantly. Personally I think the symbolism of the Hijab should be decided by the wearer.

Socrates had something to say about moral relativity. He didn't like it.

Let them worry about it. If women want to wear them it should be their call for whatever reason they might have.

Socrates had something to say about moral relativity. He didn't like it.

Relativity of ethics and morals is a condition humaine. But continuous shifts undermine social cohesion and the legitimacy of the legal system as well as that of the state.

The hijab was brought about by Muslim men who were very insecure with their own manhood, then labeled it as a religious tradition as time went by.

Relativity of ethics and morals is a condition humaine. But continuous shifts undermine social cohesion and the legitimacy of the legal system as well as that of the state.

Rejection of relativity of ethics is more akin to the reality. Changing what has been true to suit a certain group is nothing but dishonesty.

Read nine parts of desire.

You might get a different opinion.
well that is one opinion ... speak to my friend who lived it and she has another

you have to weigh it all

regardless of what the book says get yourself into a group of free Muslim women in a free country who aren't married...they have stories too

well that is one opinion ... speak to my friend who lived it and she has another

you have to weigh it all

regardless of what the book says get yourself into a group of free Muslim women in a free country who aren't married...they have stories too

Do those stories some how carry more value then the stories of Muslim women who live in middle eastern countries?

ABSOLUTELY they have lived it

a book is just a book, flesh and blood under a yoke in front of your face is more powerful than any book

get involved

Are the stories told in that book fiction?

In binary issues It is easy to find what is right and wrong but not every issue can be divided into binary terms.

Back
Top Bottom