• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Hijab: tool of oppression or somthing more?

Are the stories told in that book fiction?

In binary issues It is easy to find what is right and wrong but not every issue can be divided into binary terms.
I can't argue with you....I don't know where you are coming from

for me

I live in Canada

I know what is right and the burqa isn't it and never EVER will be

if you choose to wear a burqa by true choice...do so...

most do not

People can make choices in spite of fear of reprisal. People can make choices in the face of reprisal.

so?

that tells me nothing of your experience nor understanding of violence or abuse
it tells me nothing of your understanding of women oppressed

demonstrate your understanding with something other than a book

tell me what you know

I can't argue with you....I don't know where you are coming from

for me

I live in Canada

I know what is right and the burqa isn't it and never EVER will be

if you choose to wear a burqa by true choice...do so...

most do not

I am not Muslim, and I am not afraid to say that I have no particular insight when discussing the religion. I only know what I know and know what I don't know.

But what I do know is that the issue of wearing the hijab is not a simple matter of right and wrong. Only those who wear the hijab can say what their beliefs are.

I am not Muslim, and I am not afraid to say that I have no particular insight when discussing the religion. I only know what I know and know what I don't know.

But what I do know is that the issue of wearing the hijab is not a simple matter of right and wrong. Only those who wear the hijab can say what their beliefs are.
okay, you know what you know...and what is that with regard to the burqa?

I have no problem with the hijab and neither do you so I do not understand your point

okay, you know what you know...and what is that with regard to the burqa?

I have no problem with the hijab and neither do you so I do not understand your point

I do not know how many people choose to wear the burqa and how many are forced to wear it.

You don't seem to understand that many of the women who wear the full covering have no say in the matter.

They use these to hide their beauty to try to ward off being raped.

The Hijab is a headscarf. A headscarf doesn't hide anyones beauty.

DENIM_SOFT_G_HIJAB.jpg

You're welcome.

Here is a question worth asking: what is the purpose of the hijab, the veil that is worn by women who practice the tenants of the Islamic faith?

Is it a tool of religious oppression? A symbol of religious faith.

Or can it be used as a political protest and pride?

if you dont let women go around without it in peace then its repression

I wear one sometimes... only during religious services, and I rarely attend them. It's doesn't represent inherent oppression anymore than a nun's habit. I find it nice to not worry about my hair. My husband once tried to talk me into me into taking it off because it was hot outside. I wanted to wear it, because my hair looked so bad.

It can represent oppression, but it does not inherently represent oppression. I don't think a nun is oppressed because she is supposed to cover herself. Wearing a hijab should be a choice, and never a religious law. Nobody should be judged for wearing one or not wearing.

Here is a question worth asking: what is the purpose of the hijab, the veil that is worn by women who practice the tenants of the Islamic faith?

Does a nuns habit represent oppression?

It's customary dress for women in Arab countries.

It bothers atheistic hedonists because it's an indicator of modesty and chastity.

It can be a genuine symbol of an individuals voluntarily expressed religious faith. But that doesn't change what the hijabs actually purpose actually is: a measure designed to reduce male attraction by covering up elements the female form. There is no corresponding modesty requirement for men when it comes to attire aside from the bare basics. The logical conclusion to draw is that this is a fairly sexist measure and pretending that it is a form of empowerment, no matter how genuinely felt, is just that---pretend.

False pride - pride in being a tool of a patriarchal system.

Let's be clear, it was old men who came up with the hijab, and not young women.

Some young women try to rationalize the hijab as something to embrace, because it's all they know and their families won't accept them without it, so they try to make up a justification for it. The hijab teaches women to be uncomfortable with showing their faces, and facelessness is designed to dehumanize them. Some will pretentiously argue that faceless anonymity is security and protection - but if so, how come they don't want men to be similarly protected? There are so many ways that Islam tries to subordinate women and make them second class, that Islamists have had to work overtime to develop a cocktail of justifications, which Leftist have eagerly imbibed like Kool-Aid.

It depends on the context. Wearing a hijab to a French school (where it is banned) is more likely to be an act of political protest than wearing one in Dubai (where it is extremely common).

Back
Top Bottom