• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The height of perverse hypocrisy

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I don't think in my entire life, in my entire life, I ever encountered a situation where I was left speechless. Just dumbfounded by the amount of hypocrisy and disgust towards an institution or a collective of people.

3h ago our Parliament (Romania) voted for the installation of a Parliamentary pharmacy where all the medicine will be discounted by 20% and only members of parliament can go and shop for drugs. The 20% discount is not given, ofc, by pharmaceutical companies, it's the sum that will be covered by the taxpayer with every purchase for any medicine.

ofc they voted this in the hopes that nobody will notice. End of the day parliamentary session... tuesday... with several hot topics in discussion: the protests over the gold mining with cyanide, the stray dogs in bucharest legislation... ofc they expected that nobody will pick up on it.

But OH GOD. I mean medicine is expensive. I get it. But most of the MEPs are millionaires in euros because they steal money like crazy. And yet they aren't happy. They're bold, they're fearless, they're defiant of the public to the extreme... they just don't give a **** about their oaths, their duties as MEPs and anything. This law is just further proof that we are once again on the slippery slope to how we were 15-20years ago in the fresh aftermath of the communist downfall.

Take your pick of these classy clichees:
-One law for the rulers, another for the ruled! (pre-Arthurian dogma)
-All men are equal, but some men are more equal than others! (Orwellian mantra)
-Everyone is equal in front of the law, but we are more equal than everyone! (Communist dogma in reference to the role of leaders of state -> politburo oligarchy)
-We're all equal in the face of the law, but not in the face of those who make the laws! (Anti-communist mantra)

Each of them is perfectly valid to express this situation.

But perhaps the greatest quote I can give that truly resounds with the situation in my country, since as I said, we're on our way back to how things were after the fall of communism (not that during things were better, during things were worse but they were legal and nobody pretended that the people had power and that politicians worked for the people... it was corrupt and unfair, but at least it was straightforward and legal.. now it's straightforward and illegal and bold).

So anyway, this quote is the most resounding I think:

-They took power democratically. A few decades later, elections confirmed this. (because we elected the same crooks and dastards that were communists when communism fell... just not the obvious commies, the ones who stood in the back while the country bled... and now we elected their successors. Yay for us).

I cannot say this more strongly, Correction is poison to freedom and the economy.
Each dollar or Euro in bribes cost the economy tens of thousands of units.

ofc they voted this in the hopes that nobody will notice. End of the day parliamentary session... tuesday... with several hot topics in discussion: the protests over the gold mining with cyanide, the stray dogs in bucharest legislation... ofc they expected that nobody will pick up on it.
What does ofc mean?

What does ofc mean?
of course.

I think it means "Of Course"

@Rainman,

Any chance to re-elect other representatives and hunt these bustards?

Not for another 3years. We had elections in november last year. And nobody is going to get hunted... unless we revive Vlad the Impaler.

of course.

Not for another 3years. We had elections in november last year. And nobody is going to get hunted... unless we revive Vlad the Impaler.

I meant "hunted" as in going after them legally. As for Vlad you have his eyes. Also you are a lawyer are you not?

I meant "hunted" as in going after them legally. As for Vlad you have his eyes. Also you are a lawyer are you not?

Lawyer? No, lawyers just make trouble or profit from it.
I'm an engineer, we actually fix problems and make things work properly.

Also, Vlad the Impaler had brown eyes.

Be grateful it's not 80% discount. :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom