• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The height of hypocrisy......

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
This is the height of hypocrisy........If a 25 year old man did this to a 14 year old girl they would lock him up and throw the key away.......This female pedophile gets probation..........

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/22/teachersex.plea.ap/index.html

Lafave gets three years of house arrest

Tuesday, November 22, 2005; Posted: 12:29 p.m. EST (17:29 GMT)

TAMPA, Florida (AP) -- A female teacher pleaded guilty Tuesday to having sex with a 14-year-old middle school student, avoiding prison as part of a plea agreement.

Debra Lafave, 25, whose sensational case made tabloid headlines, will serve three years of house arrest and seven years' probation. She pleaded guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery.

The former Greco Middle School reading teacher apologized during the hearing, saying that "I accept full responsibility for my actions."

The boy told investigators the two had sex in a classroom at the Greco school, located in Temple Terrace near Tampa, in her Riverview town house and once in a vehicle while his 15-year-old cousin drove them around Marion County.

If convicted at trial, she could have faced up to 15 years in prison on each count. The plea agreement also was designed to resolve similar charges pending in Marion County.

Her attorney, John Fitzgibbons, said in July that plea negotiations had broken off because prosecutors had insisted on prison time.

He said she planned to plead insanity at trial, claiming that emotional stress kept her from knowing right from wrong.

Copyright

she is a pedophile, no ifs ands or buts, However, I think she just had a damn good lawyer.

Something tells me the student was complaining too much when this was all occurring.

bandaidwoman said:
she is a pedophile, no ifs ands or buts, However, I think she just had a damn good lawyer.

And a very bleeding heart liberal judge...........

FinnMacCool said:
I dunno. . .would it shock you if I, being a 16 year old, said I would like to have sex with her?

First of all the boy was 14......That said you can say anything you want but in the eyes of the law its still rape and if it was a role reversal a guy would be locked up forever.....

hipsterdufus said:
Where were these teachers when I went to school.:mrgreen:

LOL - that is what I was thinking.

It is true there is a different standard when it comes to sex. But then again, when it comes to sex, there are differences between boys and girls.

FinnMacCool said:
I dunno. . .would it shock you if I, being a 16 year old, said I would like to have sex with her?
Good point. 14 is beyond puberty for most girls, heck until the late 1800's most girls were married and pregnant by then. So why should it be pedophilia for a 25 year old but not for a 16 year old? Isn't the safety and well-being of the girl at the heart of the issue? But if she's old enough to say yes to a 16 year old, then why isn't she old enough to be with the 25 year old instead? Same thing if the sexes are reversed like in this situation, why are people old enough to be with another minor but not with an adult?

Navy Pride said:
First of all the boy was 14......That said you can say anything you want but in the eyes of the law its still rape and if it was a role reversal a guy would be locked up forever.....
I agree that the ruling is very hypocritical, a male teacher would have been railroaded.

Navy Pride said:

And if you read/watched further coverage, the 14 year old boy's mother has said the ONLY reason she accepted the deal was because he was having such a hard time with all the coverage, and didn't think he could deal with the trial.

Double standard, it is, however, even at 14, isn't it a crushing blow to the male ego, when the term "rape" is used? That's going to be synonymous with this kid for the rest of his time in that area. How many males admit to being battered by women, let alone being raped? Think about it...

debate_junkie said:
And if you read/watched further coverage, the 14 year old boy's mother has said the ONLY reason she accepted the deal was because he was having such a hard time with all the coverage, and didn't think he could deal with the trial.

Double standard, it is, however, even at 14, isn't it a crushing blow to the male ego, when the term "rape" is used? That's going to be synonymous with this kid for the rest of his time in that area. How many males admit to being battered by women, let alone being raped? Think about it...

The mother should have nothing to do with it..........He was a child and she should have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law..............Its outrageous that she does not have to go to jail........

Navy Pride said:
This is the height of hypocrisy........If a 25 year old man did this to a 14 year old girl they would lock him up and throw the key away.......This female pedophile gets probation..........

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/22/teachersex.plea.ap/index.html

Lafave gets three years of house arrest

Tuesday, November 22, 2005; Posted: 12:29 p.m. EST (17:29 GMT)

TAMPA, Florida (AP) -- A female teacher pleaded guilty Tuesday to having sex with a 14-year-old middle school student, avoiding prison as part of a plea agreement.

Debra Lafave, 25, whose sensational case made tabloid headlines, will serve three years of house arrest and seven years' probation. She pleaded guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery.

The former Greco Middle School reading teacher apologized during the hearing, saying that "I accept full responsibility for my actions."

The boy told investigators the two had sex in a classroom at the Greco school, located in Temple Terrace near Tampa, in her Riverview town house and once in a vehicle while his 15-year-old cousin drove them around Marion County.

If convicted at trial, she could have faced up to 15 years in prison on each count. The plea agreement also was designed to resolve similar charges pending in Marion County.

Her attorney, John Fitzgibbons, said in July that plea negotiations had broken off because prosecutors had insisted on prison time.

He said she planned to plead insanity at trial, claiming that emotional stress kept her from knowing right from wrong.

Copyright

For once, you and I agree on something! This should have gone to trial and she should have been prosecuted fully, but the parents of the victim had said that they didn't want their child to have to go through the trauma of a trial. So even they agreed with the plea bargain.

You're absolutely right, though. If this had been a man who had done this to a 14 year old girl, he would have been locked up.

JustMyPOV said:
For once, you and I agree on something! This should have gone to trial and she should have been prosecuted fully, but the parents of the victim had said that they didn't want their child to have to go through the trauma of a trial. So even they agreed with the plea bargain.

You're absolutely right, though. If this had been a man who had done this to a 14 year old girl, he would have been locked up.

There is hope for you yet.......:lol:

Yea it is hypocritical. But from what I read, the boy was 14, I doubt he was complaining! At that age, your hormones are running wild, and that teacher was a hottie!:2razz: That kid was probably busting through his pants!

kal-el said:
Yea it is hypocritical. But from what I read, the boy was 14, I doubt he was complaining! At that age, your hormones are running wild, and that teacher was a hottie!:2razz: That kid was probably busting through his pants!

This is true. I remember back to when I was 14 and I would have gladly accepted the invitation from a couple of teachers I had without hesitation. But that's just the point. At that age, I do not think I was prepared to make a decision about having a physical relationship with an adult, let alone an authority figure like a teacher. Being the teacher, it was up to her to have better judgement about such things and not prey on the hormonally challenged youths left in her care.

JustMyPOV said:
This is true. I remember back to when I was 14 and I would have gladly accepted the invitation from a couple of teachers I had without hesitation. But that's just the point. At that age, I do not think I was prepared to make a decision about having a physical relationship with an adult, let alone an authority figure like a teacher. Being the teacher, it was up to her to have better judgement about such things and not prey on the hormonally challenged youths left in her care.

Yes, I personally think she should be aquitted of all charges. Unless, that is, she forced the boy to have intercourse. :lol: That's laughable. It's all good as long as it was consensual. No boundaries.

kal-el said:

You just don't get it....This woman was in a position of authority and trust and she violated that..........

Navy Pride said:

Navy Pride, what a horrible thing to say! I am utterly stunned and disappointed. Shall we talk about the priests who molested hundreds of thousands of children? I would take an excellent guess and say that most of the priests are conservatives.

It's definitely a double standard, but to blame the result on some judge, who you don't even know what their political beliefs are, is just pathetic and it shows just how partisan you think.

Navy Pride said:
UGH! Man, you're amazing! It was a PLEA BARGAIN. Do you know what that is Navy Pride?

I'm really sick of you blaming everything you don't like on "liberals." It really sucks that you do this in almost every post.

Your posts are grotesque. The idiocy that it takes to always blame the same people for anything that you don't get is monumental.

You've proven again exactly who you are Navy Pride, as you do every day when you write posts just like this one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

aps said:
Navy Pride, what a horrible thing to say! I am utterly stunned and disappointed. Shall we talk about the priests who molested hundreds of thousands of children? I would take an excellent guess and say that most of the priests are conservatives.

It's definitely a double standard, but to blame the result on some judge, who you don't even know what their political beliefs are, is just pathetic and it shows just how partisan you think.
Well said but sadly it's like what my mother used to say to me:

"It's like talking to the wall" :lol:

aps said:

aps, I have never try to defend the homosexual and pedophile priests and I doubt that any of them prosecuted got probation........

I can tell you no conservative priest would sentence this predator teacher to probation..........

Navy Pride said:
aps, I have never try to defend the homosexual and pedophile priests and I doubt that any of them prosecuted got probation........

I can tell you no conservative priest would sentence this predator teacher to probation..........
I guess you need a lesson in courtroom proceedings? Let me define for you what a plea bargain is:

plea-bar·gain (plbärgn)

To make an agreement in which a defendant pleads guilty to a lesser charge and the prosecutor in return drops more serious charges.
Get it? THE PROSECUTOR decides what the charges and sentence will be, not the judge.

So, using your convoluted thinking (I was going to write logic but there's no logic in what you've written) the PROSECUTOR must be a dirty lefty!

:rofl

26 X World Champs said:
UGH! Man, you're amazing! It was a PLEA BARGAIN. Do you know what that is Navy Pride?

I'm really sick of you blaming everything you don't like on "liberals." It really sucks that you do this in almost every post.

Your posts are grotesque. The idiocy that it takes to always blame the same people for anything that you don't get is monumental.

You've proven again exactly who you are Navy Pride, as you do every day when you write posts just like this one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

hate to break it to you, but the attorneys negotiate the Plea Bargain
But the Judge has to approve it
and real judges reject them all the time
especially one as absurd as this
the defense milked the fact that the kid did not want to endure anymore
the DA folded like a *****
A plea deal without jail time should never have been accepted
they may as well of never even arrested the whore and wasted the courts/attorneys time and money

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom