• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The heart of a parent

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is exactly how I feel about my children. My mom assures me that them reaching adulthood and attaining independence will change nothing.

I do believe she's right.

A promise for my daughter

This is exactly how I feel about my children. My mom assures me that them reaching adulthood and attaining independence will change nothing.

My mom is 86 years old. Even in her fog of old age and disease . . . she will come.

This speaks to me from another perspective:

Letter from a Mother to a Daughter: "My dear girl, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago”... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep. When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl? When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life’s issues every day... the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If I occasionaly lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you. And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked. When those days come, don’t feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you... my darling daughter. " (by Spring in the air)

Love it.

I also feel that way about my children. They are grown with homes of their own but as long as I am living I want to be for them and I hope that even after I die my spirt will live on within them and they will know I am still there for them.

Thanks for sharing.

She is right. My kids are 19 and 21. Our relationship has changed but I will always be their mom. It's funny I call them and check on things and make sure they are okay and still tell them what I think. Not in a controlling way, in a I still really care about your life way. I always preface it with, you are stuck with me being your Mom for the rest of your life, I can't stop myself because I just love you to damn much so deal with it. They laugh and tell me how things are going and still listen to my input. There is really nothing like it. I don't remember how old your kids are but there is a great children's book that touches in this, it's called I love you forever by By Robert N. Munsch - Firefly Books. It is a lovely book

This speaks to me from another perspective:

Okay, so I cried.

My grandmother helped raise me. She died two years ago of Alzheimers.

My heart still hurts. I think maybe it always will.

Okay, so I cried.

My grandmother helped raise me. She died two years ago of Alzheimers.

My heart still hurts. I think maybe it always will.
If the dead didn't leave a hole in your heart then they didn't matter that much. Time shrinks, but it does not heal it, no matter what many good intentioned people say so, and it's not supposed to. She lives as long as feel her absence. Your pain is how you honor her. Remember that when it seems like too much to bear, and it won't be because you do it for her.

Last edited:
If the dead didn't leave a hole in your heart then they didn't matter that much. Time shrinks but it does not heal it, no matter what many good intentioned people say, and it's not supposed to. She lives as long as feel her absence. Your pain is how you honor her. Remember that when it seems too much to bear, and it won't be.

/waves kleenex

Ye bastard.

;)

If the dead didn't leave a hole in your heart then they didn't matter that much. Time shrinks, but it does not heal it, no matter what many good intentioned people say so, and it's not supposed to. She lives as long as feel her absence. Your pain is how you honor her. Remember that when it seems like too much to bear, and it won't be because you do it for her.

Well said.
My mom passed away 17 years ago and my father passed away 5 years ago.
I still miss them both very much but I know they live within that hole in my heart and I know their spirt lives on within me.
They were always there for me and they still are here in spirit.

Parenthood is forever, or at least until age and infirmity render the parent no longer able. When that happens, the roles reverse and the "child", who may be 70 by then, becomes the care giver.

Back
Top Bottom