• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Green New Deal Would Spend the U.S. Into Oblivion

The difference is the pain inflicted in making the attempt. Being laughed at by Mexico is minuscule compared to the pain inflicted of impeding the use of fossil fuels.

It's a non-binding resolution so it would not impede the use of fossil fuels in anyway. It's just a ridiculous goal.

Democrats, and especially those supporting the "Green New Deal" are nothing more than economically illiterate fools trying to pander to American voters who are clueless on how the economy works.

Wow, so you mean they are trying to appeal to Trump's base?

Yep, so far just more "Hope and Change" with no actual policy changes (bills) to judge it by. It could just as easily been called the "Moms Are Good People Act" and anyone opposed to it could then be called a mother denier (hater?).

But if there's some actual good ideas in there, do you not think states will jump aboard and flesh them out?
California did not come up with earthquake safety standards all on their own, you know.
Some of it started with House resolutions that set the tone for legislation to be passed first at the federal level and then at the state level only in the case of earthquake standards, about 90 percent of that narrowed down to stuff California wanted to do, and I don't think any other states were interested.

But here is an example of something that sprang from the same well only in Texas:
We lived in North Texas for ten years and when we had our very first home built, we were told that we could apply for a massive discount on our homeowner policy if we would spend an extra two hundred bucks on "TORNADO CLIPS".
Tornado clips are metal brackets which physically anchor the roof framing to the rest of the frame in ways strong enough that the roof cannot just fly off the top of the house in a twister.

Part of that discount came from FEMA initiatives. The same larger FEMA bill also covered earthquake safety standards in California.

The Green New Deal seeks to set the tone to incentivize states to act together with the federal government to raise the bar on a raft of standards for a reason, it is foolish and too expensive to do otherwise. Taken together as a whole, the entire package is too ambitious but some stuff is rational common sense, like providing better accommodation for electric vehicles, which are coming whether we like it or not.

I do not know if the GND calls for gas stations to start preparing for at least one fast charge station for every "X" number of pumps installed, but if states incentivized such a thing, the station owners would do something they're ultimately going to do anyway.

I already happened to know a teensy bit about fast charge incentives and tax breaks out here in La La Land and two years ago I asked the owner of the station on my corner if she had plans for a fast charger at her very large gas station. She chuckled and said she didn't see the demand for it.
Yesterday she brought it up and asked what I knew about the idea. She wanted to know why I asked her in the first place.

Oh, something about the fact that three of the five cars we have can be plugged in and that's why she hardly ever sees me buying anything but coffee, cigs and a snack and very seldom sees me at the gas pumps. Naturally I wouldn't need to plug in at her place because I am all set here at home but the other "me's" out there on the road need to from time to time.

Nice try, but your party is in a blender being chopped up. It'll be the best show on earth watching you liberals destroy yourself. Sir are you running on getting rid of ICE. Ma'am are you running on raising taxes on the wealthy to 70% or more. Sir are you running on never funding for a wall on our southern border to provide security. Ma'am are you running on walls don't work and are immoral. Sir are you running on allowing abortion just before the birth of a child. Ma'am are you running on allowing abortion after the baby is born. Sir are you running on the New Green Deal. Ma'am are you running on a guarantee job for anyone that wants one. Sir are you running on shutting down all the coal, oil and natural gas production in 10 yrs. Ma'am are you running on free college for everyone. Sir are you running on Medicare for everyone. Ma'am with free college, a guarantee job for everyone, Medicare for everyone etc how are you going to pay for it.

SD you get the picture, we are not Venezuela, but to watch you self destruct will be fun. In fact it is already fun to watch all the far left waco's taking over the Dem Party.

Exactly the kind of answer I expect from those on the right or leaning right. No can do, money, money, money, fossil fuel. If you actually think there is no such thing as corporate welfare, try typing those two words into a google search.

Lets test what you think you know. Explain what effect capital amortization has on the oil industry. The left always screams its a subsidy, so lets see what you think you know about it.

Nice try, but your party is in a blender being chopped up. It'll be the best show on earth watching you liberals destroy yourself. Sir are you running on getting rid of ICE. Ma'am are you running on raising taxes on the wealthy to 70% or more. Sir are you running on never funding for a wall on our southern border to provide security. Ma'am are you running on walls don't work and are immoral. Sir are you running on allowing abortion just before the birth of a child. Ma'am are you running on allowing abortion after the baby is born. Sir are you running on the New Green Deal. Ma'am are you running on a guarantee job for anyone that wants one. Sir are you running on shutting down all the coal, oil and natural gas production in 10 yrs. Ma'am are you running on free college for everyone. Sir are you running on Medicare for everyone. Ma'am with free college, a guarantee job for everyone, Medicare for everyone etc how are you going to pay for it.

SD you get the picture, we are not Venezuela, but to watch you self destruct will be fun. In fact it is already fun to watch all the far left waco's taking over the Dem Party.

We're gonna need bigger tanks to vacuum up all the bullcrap.

arachnophobia-john-goodman_thumb.jpg

Lets test what you think you know. Explain what effect capital amortization has on the oil industry. The left always screams its a subsidy, so lets see what you think you know about it.

Depreciation and amortization are common to almost every industry, while depletion is usually used only by oil companies.
It's nice to talk about it being a double dip subsidy however it's something that the oil business has had afforded to them for decades, and it is partly due to the boom-bust nature of the exploration and mineral acquisition side of the business.

Case in point, during the Urban Cowboy 1970's, Texas responded, thanks in part to such incentives, to the Arab Oil Embargo by dramatically expanding their exploration and mineral acquisition efforts. Within two years of the embargo, Midland Texas suddenly had more Rolls Royce dealers than Beverly Hills. I know, because my brother was a logistics exec at one of the most prolific exploration firms in the state during that time and he lived in Midland.

However, a year and a half after the Saudis reversed their policy and opened the floodgates, suddenly I-20, I-10, I-35 and I-45 all played host to the eerie sight of literally THOUSANDS of mothballed drilling rigs dotting the sides of the highways, left to rot in the hard caliche and the hot sun.

Now, about that giant straw man you constructed, the one about "THE LEFT", if you're going to insist on the debate being couched in terms like that, then it is clear that you aren't interested in debate at all, you've already made up your mind in advance.

There IS such a thing as corporate welfare. And in the 1900's it began to be given to a fledgling petroleum industry to help it grow because it seemed to have a bright future. There's no way cars were going to run on whale oil and peanut oil. We couldn't get our hands on enough of it quickly enough, plus the fact we were running out of whales.
It made sense to push a bit of corporate welfare to the oil business, it meant that they could take better risks and more of them.
Now it is time to consider doing a little bit of the same for some green energy industries that show some promise.
I assume since you think you know something about the oil business that you're going to argue that green energy cannot possibly be legitimate.

Is that what you believe?

Wow great debating point. So you really have zero clue what Cohn's agenda might be. Same here. You can disagree with his POV but he has a legitimate one. My sense is you only know that he was a key architect of the tax plan and thus must be evil and in the pockets of evil corporations.

I know I have a degree in economics and have seen tax cuts since Ray-gun hence I know what time it is.

Here's what I know, semantics can be used in many ways sorta' like how oil companies can use different terms to get government money. The BP oil spill being the biggest and most recent example In BP's Final $20 Billion Gulf Settlement, U.S. Taxpayers Subsidize $15.3 Billion that cost taxpayers out the ying yang. Who cares what technical booking terms I don't know? I know this, big oil cheats and not in our favor.

Here's what I know, semantics can be used in many ways sorta' like how oil companies can use different terms to get government money. The BP oil spill being the biggest and most recent example In BP's Final $20 Billion Gulf Settlement, U.S. Taxpayers Subsidize $15.3 Billion that cost taxpayers out the ying yang. Who cares what technical booking terms I don't know? I know this, big oil cheats and not in our favor.

US oil companies don’t receive subsidies? That’s interesting Energy subsidies - Wikipedia

That is assuming the leftist definition of subsidy which is “allowing you to keep your own money” most of these “subsidies” are general tax credits or consumer tax credits. Says it right in your own source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the kind of answer I expect from those on the right or leaning right. No can do, money, money, money, fossil fuel. If you actually think there is no such thing as corporate welfare, try typing those two words into a google search.

Not an argument

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I have a degree in economics and have seen tax cuts since Ray-gun hence I know what time it is.

From what school. Doubt the University of Chicago. Corporate rate tax cuts have a different impact than rate cuts for individuals. Not sure if they taught you that where ever you went to school.

Lol, I highly doubt heavy taxes, outlawing air travel and requiring we retrofit every building in the US is something that appeals to Trump's base. They typically don't support things that would cripple the US economy.

Lol, I highly doubt heavy taxes, outlawing air travel and requiring we retrofit every building in the US is something that appeals to Trump's base. They typically don't support things that would cripple the US economy.

Another one who didn't actually read the document. You types keep showing up like a bad penny.
What is it with you guys?
Oh I know...you're NOT INTERESTED in reading it, only shooting at a cardboard cutout of it to give yourself a little stiffy.

The majority of the so called subsidies for oil companies comes from land lease and capital amortization. That is they get to deduct the deterioration of leases and capital expenditures on equipment because those materials and leases do lose value over time. If you understood amortization you would understand that oil subsidies are primarily bull****. But you would rather wallow in your ignorance, your loss.

Depreciation and amortization are common to almost every industry, while depletion is usually used only by oil companies.
It's nice to talk about it being a double dip subsidy however it's something that the oil business has had afforded to them for decades, and it is partly due to the boom-bust nature of the exploration and mineral acquisition side of the business.

Case in point, during the Urban Cowboy 1970's, Texas responded, thanks in part to such incentives, to the Arab Oil Embargo by dramatically expanding their exploration and mineral acquisition efforts. Within two years of the embargo, Midland Texas suddenly had more Rolls Royce dealers than Beverly Hills. I know, because my brother was a logistics exec at one of the most prolific exploration firms in the state during that time and he lived in Midland.

However, a year and a half after the Saudis reversed their policy and opened the floodgates, suddenly I-20, I-10, I-35 and I-45 all played host to the eerie sight of literally THOUSANDS of mothballed drilling rigs dotting the sides of the highways, left to rot in the hard caliche and the hot sun.

Now, about that giant straw man you constructed, the one about "THE LEFT", if you're going to insist on the debate being couched in terms like that, then it is clear that you aren't interested in debate at all, you've already made up your mind in advance.

There IS such a thing as corporate welfare. And in the 1900's it began to be given to a fledgling petroleum industry to help it grow because it seemed to have a bright future. There's no way cars were going to run on whale oil and peanut oil. We couldn't get our hands on enough of it quickly enough, plus the fact we were running out of whales.
It made sense to push a bit of corporate welfare to the oil business, it meant that they could take better risks and more of them.
Now it is time to consider doing a little bit of the same for some green energy industries that show some promise.
I assume since you think you know something about the oil business that you're going to argue that green energy cannot possibly be legitimate.

Is that what you believe?

Look at that, all that partisan horse manure and not a single effort to address what I was talking about. Fail.

The majority of the so called subsidies for oil companies comes from land lease and capital amortization. That is they get to deduct the deterioration of leases and capital expenditures on equipment because those materials and leases do lose value over time. If you understood amortization you would understand that oil subsidies are primarily bull****. But you would rather wallow in your ignorance, your loss.

let's do away with the word subsidies and call them what they are tax breaks. Dig a hole that produces nothing 100% write off. Don't tell me about my ignorance, conservatism makes folks believe all kinds of bullcrap. All you are doing is defending the extremely wealthy and corporate america, good for you, they need the help.

I meant ludicrous fantasies seem to appeal Trump's base like trade wars, tax cuts paying for themselves, shutting down the government for a record number of days, the notion that his wall will be paid for by Mexico, that fixing our healthcare system will be "easy", and so on.

At least in the case of the Democrats, they only elected someone that peddles nonsense to a single house district rather than to the presidency.

let's do away with the word subsidies and call them what they are tax breaks. Dig a hole that produces nothing 100% write off. Don't tell me about my ignorance, conservatism makes folks believe all kinds of bullcrap. All you are doing is defending the extremely wealthy and corporate america, good for you, they need the help.

Because you are ignorant. They don't write off the damn drilling equipment, they write off a portion of its value so they don't pay taxes on it like its brand new.

How you can begin to claim to know subsidies and not understand amortization disqualifies your posts from having value.

Anyone consider that the new economy will end up being based upon some form of renewable energy, energy efficiency and conservation of what is left of our natural resources? Folks do realize the earth is a finite system, right?

Because you are ignorant. They don't write off the damn drilling equipment, they write off a portion of its value so they don't pay taxes on it like its brand new.

How you can begin to claim to know subsidies and not understand amortization disqualifies your posts from having value.

Great, so don't answer my posts.

Did he say they write off 100%? I think he knows what amortization is, most adults understand the concept.

Back
Top Bottom