• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Greatest Way to Screw the Working Poor.

James972

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Invite in 20 million illegals to take their jobs and lower wages of remaining jobs!

Invite in 20 million illegals to take their jobs and lower wages of remaining jobs!

Illegals may be working for lower wages now, but has anyone considered who will be taking their jobs once they are given amnesty?
We still need some poor slobs, non union preferably, so we have someone to do the work no one else wants to do.

Illegals may be working for lower wages now, but has anyone considered who will be taking their jobs once they are given amnesty?

don't see why its an issue given that there are always more coming across the border

so we have someone to do the work no one else wants to do.

if no one wants to do it the wages will go up until someone does want to do it. This is called the law of supply and demand

We still need some poor slobs, non union preferably, so we have someone to do the work no one else wants to do.

Other than rock star, video game tester, and professional bass fisherman pretty much everything is a job that "no one else wants to do".

I say that tongue-in-cheek but the reality is that there are VERY few people would would continue working for a living, regardless of what their profession happens to be, if they were to win a $1 billion lottery jackpot tomorrow.

People don't go to work because they love going to work, they go to work because they need to put food on the table, clothes on their kids' backs, and keep a roof over the family's head.

The problem with this country, and our need to (illegally) import cheap foreign labor, hinges on the fact that once someone's earning power falls below a certain level we offer them an easy out.

They can either continue doing unskilled, boring, menial, strenuous, unskilled labor for $300 a week, or we'll just cut them social safety net benefits of $750+ a week in "disability" benefits because they have "back pain" (or some equally nebulous medical condition that can't be definitely diagnosed, or definitively disputed).

Take away the safety net and tell all our dead wood that they either need to sink or swim and there will be a line at the unemployment office a mile long of people would would MUCH rather pick tomatoes in the hot sun than starve to death under a bridge.

Contrary to popular opinion human beings don't NEED smartphones, flat screen TVs, Cadillac Escalades, premium cable packages, Phillie Blunts, or the latest Michael Jordan shoes.

We've somehow come to believe that this is a minimum acceptable standard of living that every American should enjoy but it's really a fantasy.

What human beings NEED is about 2000 calories a day, drinking water, a relative dry place to live with an average ambient temperature of around 65 degrees, and a will to live.

Nature provides the latter and people should have to work, no matter how hard, undesirable, or demeaning that work may be, for the rest of it.

Everything else they're able to earn is just cake, but nobody, least of all society, owes it to them.

Other than rock star, video game tester, and professional bass fisherman pretty much everything is a job that "no one else wants to do".

I say that tongue-in-cheek but the reality is that there are VERY few people would would continue working for a living, regardless of what their profession happens to be, if they were to win a $1 billion lottery jackpot tomorrow.

People don't go to work because they love going to work, they go to work because they need to put food on the table, clothes on their kids' backs, and keep a roof over the family's head.

The problem with this country, and our need to (illegally) import cheap foreign labor, hinges on the fact that once someone's earning power falls below a certain level we offer them an easy out.

They can either continue doing unskilled, boring, menial, strenuous, unskilled labor for $300 a week, or we'll just cut them social safety net benefits of $750+ a week in "disability" benefits because they have "back pain" (or some equally nebulous medical condition that can't be definitely diagnosed, or definitively disputed).

Take away the safety net and tell all our dead wood that they either need to sink or swim and there will be a line at the unemployment office a mile long of people would would MUCH rather pick tomatoes in the hot sun than starve to death under a bridge.

Contrary to popular opinion human beings don't NEED smartphones, flat screen TVs, Cadillac Escalades, premium cable packages, Phillie Blunts, or the latest Michael Jordan shoes.

We've somehow come to believe that this is a minimum acceptable standard of living that every American should enjoy but it's really a fantasy.

What human beings NEED is about 2000 calories a day, drinking water, a relative dry place to live with an average ambient temperature of around 65 degrees, and a will to live.

Nature provides the latter and people should have to work, no matter how hard, undesirable, or demeaning that work may be, for the rest of it.

Everything else they're able to earn is just cake, but nobody, least of all society, owes it to them.

Yep, when Newt changed welfare to work-fare fully half decided they were no longer poor!

if no one wants to do it the wages will go up until someone does want to do it. This is called the law of supply and demand

Wrong. The jobs will move to a country where there are people that will work for the wages paid just as has occurred in many manufacturing sectors - just ask the union folks about that. Instead of importing vegetables from Central and South America during our winter months, as an example, we will import all our vegetables all year 'round. THAT, is called supply and demand.

Wrong. The jobs will move to a country where there are people that will work for the wages paid just as has occurred in many manufacturing sectors -.

why would the jobs move if American wages, taxes, transportation, proximity to markets, etc etc were competitive?

why would the jobs move if American wages, taxes, transportation, proximity to markets, etc etc were competitive?

That's a rhetorical question, yet given that what you just asked is 180 degrees from your position in the post I responded to, although appears to be dichotomous, the above question also begs the question... if you knew this, then why did you state the following:

James972 said:

You're contradicting yourself from one post to the next, and that I cannot explain or say why. Do you even see that?

for 3rd time: because it is true, if you disagree please say why rather than try to change subject

for 3rd time: because it is true, if you disagree please say why rather than try to change subject

How can the statement in your first post I responded to be true if the statement I called a rhetorical question be true and accurate? They are diametrically opposed to each other economically, factually, and on the simple scale of just plain common sense.

Those jobs that you say no one "wants" to do....

I can imagine that there are lots of jobs people would rather not do....but if they want to eat, they get off their ass and do them

And they would be more willing to do them if the pay was higher....and the pay would go up if there weren't illegals willing to do it for the lower wage

How many jobs are like that?

With 12 million illegals lowering wages....we don't know

But sure wouldn't mind finding out.....

I can imagine that there are lots of jobs people would rather not do....but if they want to eat, they get off their ass and do them

And they would be more willing to do them if the pay was higher....and the pay would go up if there weren't illegals willing to do it for the lower wage

yes, liberals want to screw the working poor while Trump want to help them!!

There are obviously 'some' jobs that are kinda no one wants to do.
My friends dad is a sheep rancher. He runs them free range sprint through autumn. He has had a few citizens work for him, but it honestly is pretty undesirable in that you are in the mountains from about easter through Halloween. the sheep then get moved down to a lower elevation for winter.
Currently he has a handful of Peruvians working for him.. they are on worker visas , not illegal. according to friend and family they have had a very hard time even then finding people who will do a decent job. several have , when their visa expired, ran off and disappeared instead of going home. They have reported this to homeland security but the government , again according to the family, has never seemed eager in gathering any information to pursue them.
He does have a few good workers among them.
So in this case its not so much the pay its that they are far away from any stores, resteraunts or anything else. the have a trailer to sleep and cook in up there for those months and my friends dad supplies their food.

On the other hand. I have another friend who was managing a company that supplied businesses with their restroom supplies... tissue, hand towels, soaps and cleaning stuff etc..
They got bought out and the new owners ran an e-verify and 4 guys working under my friend were found to be illegals. they were making in the range of 12$ - 16$ an hour driving around to restock the businesses.
I cant imagine that that's a job people wouldn't do.

There are obviously 'some' jobs that are kinda no one wants to do.

depends entirely on what other jobs are available. IF the liberal safety net is available the jobs nobody wants to do rises and rises.

if so why so afraid to show exact quotes????????????

See post #9.

Posts do not vanish simply because they are on another page.

See post #9.

Posts do not vanish simply because they are on another page.

notice he is afraid to show quotes for all the world to see

iv got it we get are selves a minimum wage you can live on working 40 hours a week across the entire county tie it to the cost of living so it dosent stagnate

then add some good well fair across the entire country

and bam evry one wins people can come hear and get decent jobs the working poor are no longer all that poor and people out of worck will get by better then the working poor do now

and with all of these extra people with a little spending money on them the economy will boom

I would be interested to see a comparison of the effect of "illegals" on jobs versus the effect of outsourcing to China. I have a feeling the effect of the latter dwarfs that of the former, since immigrants at least live and spend money in America, but admittedly that's just my suspicion.

Some great and thoughtful answers to my tongue in cheek remarks. There is no easy answer, is there?

Back
Top Bottom