• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Greatest US Presidents of All Time

I have to say that in my opinion, just about every president we've ever had has completely screwed up in one way or another. So, my vote goes to William Henry Harrison. At least he didn't have the time to screw anything up.

1. Theodore Roosevelt
2. George Washington
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. Thomas Jefferson
5. Ronald Reagan

I'll tell you why later, as I am CERTAIN someone will eventually challenge my #5 :mrgreen:

#5is great so long as you don't take into consideration that little illegal war in Nicaragua that he waged.

1. Lincoln (hard to argue with that)
2. Washington (again, hard to argue)
3. Eisenhower (didn't mess with the economy too much, built the interstate highway system, and wasn't afraid to side with blacks in Civil Rights)
4. Clinton (actually lowered government spending as a portion of GDP, got the US in a surplus for the first time in decades, and didn't mess up a well-functioning economy)
5. Jackson (except for the Indian Removal Act, did a good job of maintaining national unity and keeping government in check)

Eisenhower? For real? So you're not familiar with the coup in Guatemala?

My favorite modern President is Ford. He sacrificed his political career when he pardoned Nixon. He is one of the few that I can truly say I believe he had the best interests of the American people in mind with his decisions.

Yeah, he ****ed up with the Mayaguez incident, but overall, he was pretty darned good for someone who wasn't even elected.

I have to say that in my opinion, just about every president we've ever had has completely screwed up in one way or another. So, my vote goes to William Henry Harrison. At least he didn't have the time to screw anything up.

You don't think anyone did more good than they screwed up?

And I still doubt we'd be under investigation for the reasons Clinton was. The right wing talking points are really legalistic and focused on the lying to an investigation rather than what the investigation was about in the first place. Ultimately it was a meaningless partisan attack.

You do have to admit though, there are a lot of mysteries surrounding the Clintons, their private business dealings, and Vince Foster. Though I'm neither a fan nor an opponent of Clinton.

That's right. At least, not in general. Some of them may have evened out their bad, but I see most presidents as doing more harm than good.

How did George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Polk, Abraham Lincoln, Grover Cleveland, Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, and Bill Clinton do more harm than good?

How did George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Polk, Abraham Lincoln, Grover Cleveland, Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, and Bill Clinton do more harm than good?

Washington: He was actually a fairly decent President, and he should be commended with his actions in stabilizing relationships with Great Britain and France. Still, his inaction against the excise tax on whiskey led to the Whiskey Rebellion. Instead of listening to their points of view, as some of their livelihoods depended upon the profits made by turning grain to whiskey, he instead sent in the troops to put the rebellion down. There had even been non-violent protests before this "rebellion" took place. It was also during his presidency that the polarization of politicians truly reached it's climax. Despite this, however, I will say that Washington was a Fair-Good President.

Jefferson: Once again, a pretty good President, as he repealed the Alien and Sedition Act. He also repealed many federal taxes. Still, you must recall the Embargo Act of 1807, which basically banned the importation of foreign goods, and the exportation of American goods. This greatly harmed the economy of the young United States. Also, in the Winter of 1806, he approved the actions of Gen. James Wilkinson, who arrested several of Aaron Burr's associates without warrants, and also jailing their attorney, the judge, the judge’s closest friend, a newspaper editor, former Senator John Adair, and about sixty other citizens, with no charges against them. Jefferson's only reservation being that Wilkinson had to stay within the limits, not of the Constitution, but of what public opinion would bear. If Even Jefferson Was Bad… Overall, Fair-Good.

Madison: Madison supported the Embargo Act. He led us in the penultimate War of 1812. Yes, we left it with the Era of Good Feelings, but we also left it with quite a few of our cities as smoldering ash, Washington D.C. included. He also established the Second National Band of the United States, but that could go into either the good or bad category, depending upon your opinion on national banking. Overally, Fair-Good.

James Polk: He endorsed an aggresive expansionist foreign policy against Mexico, although you might argue that it was to support a republic over a dictatorship. This expansion also led to the Compromise of 1850, which further stressed tensions that led to the Civil War.

Abraham Lincoln: He suspended habeas corpus. Yes, the Constitution states that it can be suspended if in cases of rebellion or if public safety requires it, but I still feel that habeas corpus is an essential right to every American, even in wartime. He took control of telegraph lines and shut down disloyal newspapers. Establishing liberty by taking it away. There must have been a better way.

Grover Cleveland: Cleveland was an okay president. He had a few problems with labor unions, but overall he was pretty good. I feel that he didn't really do much good in his presidency, but he did very little bad, which I commend.

Teddy Roosevelt: His interventionist policies in world affairs just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, he was a fairly good president, helping to establish the FDA and National Parks. But "speak softly and carry a big stick" imperialism just doesn't strike me too well.

Woodrow Wilson: Well, he help to pass the Federal Reserve Act, established a progressive income tax, and supported segregation. He also suppressed any opinions contrary to the government's pro-war beliefs. He also establishing the Espionage Act and the Sediton Act, both of which represent the overreach of government to suppress anti-war, anti-British, or pro-German opinions.

Harry Truman: He was an okay president. He supported government intervention in the New Deal, and supported an unnecessary military presence in Korea, even before the Korean War. Debatably, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki could be considered as marks against him.

Dwight Eisenhower: Another okay president. The interstate system and desegregation are good points. I must say that his attitudes toward the Middle East, with the Eisenhower Doctorine and the replacement of a democratically-elected government of Iran with an absolute monarch, disturb me. This definitely created quite a few problems for us in the long run.

Bill Clinton: Yes, he oversaw an era of economic stability. He also supported NAFTA, which I feel harmed our economy in the long run. He also supported American intervention in Somalia and Bosnia. Sadly, he will probably only be remembered for Lewinsky. Overall, I rate him a fair-good president.

Washington: He was actually a fairly decent President, and he should be commended with his actions in stabilizing relationships with Great Britain and France. Still, his inaction against the excise tax on whiskey led to the Whiskey Rebellion. Instead of listening to their points of view, as some of their livelihoods depended upon the profits made by turning grain to whiskey, he instead sent in the troops to put the rebellion down. There had even been non-violent protests before this "rebellion" took place. It was also during his presidency that the polarization of politicians truly reached it's climax. Despite this, however, I will say that Washington was a Fair-Good President.

Jefferson: Once again, a pretty good President, as he repealed the Alien and Sedition Act. He also repealed many federal taxes. Still, you must recall the Embargo Act of 1807, which basically banned the importation of foreign goods, and the exportation of American goods. This greatly harmed the economy of the young United States. Also, in the Winter of 1806, he approved the actions of Gen. James Wilkinson, who arrested several of Aaron Burr's associates without warrants, and also jailing their attorney, the judge, the judge’s closest friend, a newspaper editor, former Senator John Adair, and about sixty other citizens, with no charges against them. Jefferson's only reservation being that Wilkinson had to stay within the limits, not of the Constitution, but of what public opinion would bear. If Even Jefferson Was Bad… Overall, Fair-Good.

Madison: Madison supported the Embargo Act. He led us in the penultimate War of 1812. Yes, we left it with the Era of Good Feelings, but we also left it with quite a few of our cities as smoldering ash, Washington D.C. included. He also established the Second National Band of the United States, but that could go into either the good or bad category, depending upon your opinion on national banking. Overally, Fair-Good.

James Polk: He endorsed an aggresive expansionist foreign policy against Mexico, although you might argue that it was to support a republic over a dictatorship. This expansion also led to the Compromise of 1850, which further stressed tensions that led to the Civil War.

Abraham Lincoln: He suspended habeas corpus. Yes, the Constitution states that it can be suspended if in cases of rebellion or if public safety requires it, but I still feel that habeas corpus is an essential right to every American, even in wartime. He took control of telegraph lines and shut down disloyal newspapers. Establishing liberty by taking it away. There must have been a better way.

Grover Cleveland: Cleveland was an okay president. He had a few problems with labor unions, but overall he was pretty good. I feel that he didn't really do much good in his presidency, but he did very little bad, which I commend.

Teddy Roosevelt: His interventionist policies in world affairs just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, he was a fairly good president, helping to establish the FDA and National Parks. But "speak softly and carry a big stick" imperialism just doesn't strike me too well.

Woodrow Wilson: Well, he help to pass the Federal Reserve Act, established a progressive income tax, and supported segregation. He also suppressed any opinions contrary to the government's pro-war beliefs. He also establishing the Espionage Act and the Sediton Act, both of which represent the overreach of government to suppress anti-war, anti-British, or pro-German opinions.

Harry Truman: He was an okay president. He supported government intervention in the New Deal, and supported an unnecessary military presence in Korea, even before the Korean War. Debatably, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki could be considered as marks against him.

Dwight Eisenhower: Another okay president. The interstate system and desegregation are good points. I must say that his attitudes toward the Middle East, with the Eisenhower Doctorine and the replacement of a democratically-elected government of Iran with an absolute monarch, disturb me. This definitely created quite a few problems for us in the long run.

Bill Clinton: Yes, he oversaw an era of economic stability. He also supported NAFTA, which I feel harmed our economy in the long run. He also supported American intervention in Somalia and Bosnia. Sadly, he will probably only be remembered for Lewinsky. Overall, I rate him a fair-good president.

What is your opinion of Calvin Coolidge?

1. Thomas Jefferson
2. John Adams
3. Calvin Coolidge
4. Ronald Reagan
5. George Washington
6. James Polk
7. Theodore Roosevelt
8. John F. Kennedy
9. Dwight D. Eisenhower
10. William McKinley

Harder one.

1) Washington (founder of a nation)
2) Lincoln (freed the slaves and held together a nation. Plus a very unorthodox man of his time, and plenty hints to suspect him of being gay. Not easy to rise to where he went)
3) Kennedy/Johnson (Civil Rights act, the single biggest piece of modern legislation in US history. Lincoln might have freed the slaves but they were not accepted as equals (legally and morally) before this legislation)
4) Clinton (Mr. Teflon.. would be great to be back in those days.. economy wise. He is the only President in the last 3 decades that got the economy right. Plus if Republicans hate a man so much, then he must be doing something right :) )
5) Reagan (On my worst list also, but deserves a place on the best list also. He was the right man, with the right attitude, to dig the American people out of the mass depression they were in after Vietnam and Nixon)

Honourable mentions:

Eisenhower (brave enough to stand up to the Soviets without going into war)
Thomas Jefferson (because the US right hate him and because he was a pragmatist not blinded by religious dogma)

What is your opinion of Calvin Coolidge?

I am of the opinion that Coolidge was a fairly successful president. He governed over a time of great properity in our nation. Some might say that his laxing of financial restrictions led to the stock market crash, but I'm skeptical of that. Overall, I think that he was one of our best presidents, doing little harm and a moderate amount of good. He exceeds the rule.

Okay, I just wanted to make sure when you said you didn't think any President did more harm than good that you really meant most.

1. George Washington
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. James Madison
4. John Adams
5. JFK

Back
Top Bottom