• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The greatest speech I've ever heard.

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
This is from Henry V by Shakespeare. Henry the V was one of his most underappreciated plays and it has received a lot of criticism but I really really liked it. I think that Henry the V's address to his men before the battle is probably one of the greatest speeches in history. It has been the inspiration for many over movie speeches including William Wallaces braveheart speech and Merlin's speech in Excalibur. The fact that all of them are so patriotic during it and so filled with remorse and sadness after the battle in a strange pro war vs anti war thing makes it even more touching.

Now I'm usually not a very violent person but this speech made me want to kill people. Seriously. His words and with the music in the background just wanted me to go out and grab a sword and charge into the enemy.

Here is a link to it: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechhenryV.html

I rather enjoyed Zell Miller at the RNC. Give 'em hell, Zell :lol:

hiker said:

I think all liberals should take a lesson from Zell Miller.

This is the man who wants to be the Commander in Chief of our U.S. Armed Forces?

U.S. forces armed with what? Spitballs?
:2razz:

Yes, great speech :smile:

hiker said:
:rofl

One of the most insane rants I've ever heard. He put Bob Nofacts to shame that day.

Just to compare and contrast keynote addresses, here are a few words by Liberal Moonbat Barack Obama:

Barack Obama's remarks at the Democratic convention

A belief that we are connected as one people. If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief — I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper — that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-07-27-obama-speech-text_x.htm

wwn-zell.gif

The Real McCoy said:

I certainly did. Zell showed me what would happen if I don't take my medication. :roll:

zell.palpatine.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the topic, Shakespeare had some good parts in his plays. Everyone know about Hamlet's Soliloquy, but there are many others that are not appreciated anymore because people don't read or watch Shakespeare anymore.

Best speech ever...

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter : [whispering] Germans?
Boon : Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... [thinks hard] the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns] What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer -
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: LET'S DO IT!!

FinnMacCool said:
This is from Henry V by Shakespeare. Henry the V was one of his most underappreciated plays and it has received a lot of criticism but I really really liked it. I think that Henry the V's address to his men before the battle is probably one of the greatest speeches in history. It has been the inspiration for many over movie speeches including William Wallaces braveheart speech and Merlin's speech in Excalibur. The fact that all of them are so patriotic during it and so filled with remorse and sadness after the battle in a strange pro war vs anti war thing makes it even more touching.

Now I'm usually not a very violent person but this speech made me want to kill people. Seriously. His words and with the music in the background just wanted me to go out and grab a sword and charge into the enemy.

Here is a link to it: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechhenryV.html
That speech is very similar to Richmond's in Richard III.

Henry V is known for being one of Shakespeare's most appreciated plays.

The Real McCoy said:

Oh, like challenge Chris Matthews to a duel? Okay. I can do that.

Back
Top Bottom