• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Greatest Basketball Player You Never Heard Of

Good idea for a Thread Jack.

Two guys come to mind for me: the first is Connie Hawkins who was simply Dr. J before there was a Dr. J. But few seem to remember. The other guy I remember was Montie Towe the point guard on the NC State team who played with David Thompson and Tom Burrelson. The little guy was simply one of the best college point guards I have ever seen even in all the years since then. He did something on a game once where after the other team scored a basket he took the ball with his back to the court and simply flipped it hard over his head to David Thompson at half court who went down and dunked it before anybody knew what happened.

Good idea for a Thread Jack.

Two guys come to mind for me: the first is Connie Hawkins who was simply Dr. J before there was a Dr. J. But few seem to remember. The other guy I remember was Montie Towe the point guard on the NC State team who played with David Thompson and Tom Burrelson. The little guy was simply one of the best college point guards I have ever seen even in all the years since then. He did something on a game once where after the other team scored a basket he took the ball with his back to the court and simply flipped it hard over his head to David Thompson at half court who went down and dunked it before anybody knew what happened.

Good call on both Hawkins and Towe.:thumbs:

Nonetheless, I'm a Pacers fan from the first day of the franchise, so it was always Brown Sugar for me.:cool:

Good call on both Hawkins and Towe.:thumbs:

Nonetheless, I'm a Pacers fan from the first day of the franchise, so it was always Brown Sugar for me.:cool:

My favorite Pacer was George McGinnis who I only first saw in the merger when he came to the Sixers. In those days, the skinny lanky player was the rule for the forwards and McGinnis with his muscled chiseled body was something to behold as he played up against the giants. To this day it ranks as the greatest NBA finals in history when the TrailBlazers beat the Sixers for that world title. I bet Dr. J, McGinnis and those three centers still do not know what hit them.

Did you see Marvin Barnes play in the ABA? I only read about him and the Pistons got him in the ABA draft and we all know he never showed but occasional brilliant flashes of what he did in the ABA for two years.

My favorite Pacer was George McGinnis who I only first saw in the merger when he came to the Sixers. In those days, the skinny lanky player was the rule for the forwards and McGinnis with his muscled chiseled body was something to behold as he played up against the giants. To this day it ranks as the greatest NBA finals in history when the TrailBlazers beat the Sixers for that world title. I bet Dr. J, McGinnis and those three centers still do not know what hit them.

Did you see Marvin Barnes play in the ABA? I only read about him and the Pistons got him in the ABA draft and we all know he never showed but occasional brilliant flashes of what he did in the ABA for two years.

McGinnis was physically gifted but mentally limited. Marvin Barnes was an early victim of the cocaine epidemic. "The human eraser.":cool:

Redskins are on now.

McGinnis was physically gifted but mentally limited. Marvin Barnes was an early victim of the cocaine epidemic. "The human eraser.":cool:

Redskins are on now.

Jack - I think it was Marvin Webster who was the human eraser. Barnes was one of the most gifted players I ever saw when he played with Ernie D for Providence. I bought season tickets in 76 for the Pistons when they got him in the ABA draft but we all know the disaster that followed.

Jack - I think it was Marvin Webster who was the human eraser. Barnes was one of the most gifted players I ever saw when he played with Ernie D for Providence. I bought season tickets in 76 for the Pistons when they got him in the ABA draft but we all know the disaster that followed.

You are correct. Webster it was.

You are correct. Webster it was.

I remember he was a player of limited ability but Lenny Wilkens really designed a defense around his strengths. Great coaching.

Back
Top Bottom