• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Great Pumpkin State

TOJ

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Iowa is the first in the nation to give the nod to the candidates for President and I thought y'all might like to get a flavor of their thinking.

Des Moines Register (the state rag)

The Iowa Department of Revenue, often accused of trying to squeeze blood out of turnips, is now searching for pennies in pumpkins.

A new department policy this year has made Halloween jack-o'-lanterns subject to the state sales tax, and many Iowa pumpkin growers are feeling tricked.

Iowans planning to eat pumpkins can still get an exemption from the sales tax, if they fill out the "Iowa Sales Tax Exemption Certificate" form.
I thought the bolded part was, laugh out loud, funny as hell. I don't have any idea what a pumpkin costs, but let's assume $5.00 and I don't know what the sales tax is, but let's assume 10%. So you can save a whooping $0.50 for filing out the damn form. Of coarse, in IA there's not much of anything else to do, so filing out forms might be their best form of entertainment. :rofl

Sorry all you Iowegians, I just couldn't resist. :2razz:

Last edited:
Iowa has more pigs in it than people:

DES MOINES - Iowa has 16.9 million hogs -- its highest number in 51 years, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

US Census:

Population definition and source info Population, 2006 estimate 2,982,085

Iowa has more pigs in it than people:

DES MOINES - Iowa has 16.9 million hogs -- its highest number in 51 years, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

US Census:

Population definition and source info Population, 2006 estimate 2,982,085
Although I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if Texas has more cattle than people. What's your point or were you just writing something because you like reading your own words?

Yep - it's true. It takes several minutes to fill out the form that allows you to save about 25 cents in taxes. I imagine the man hours processing the form eat away at much of the increased revenue from all these pumpkin sales.

Obviously we elect only the keenest of minds here in Iowa.

Back
Top Bottom