• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Great Majority Opposes The Word "Marriage" for SS-Couples[W:214]

Ontologuy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Per the link and reference here:http://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/164824-naming-inevitability-same-sex-cudps-3.html#post1061986183
Here's a link of relevant polled questions: On Same-Sex Relationships.

"Do you believe gays and lesbians should be allowed to get legally married, allowed a legal partnership similar to but not called marriage, or should there be no legal recognition given to gay and lesbian relationships?"

.............................Legally married....legal partnership....No legal recognition....Unsure
....................................%............. .........%..........................%............. .......%
5/13-15/12...................37......................33... ......................25.....................5
8/10-11/10...................37......................29... ......................28.....................6
5/12-13/09...................33......................33... ......................29.....................5
11/4-5/06 LV................30......................30...... ...................32.....................7
6/13-14/06...................27.....................25.... ......................39.....................8
5/18-19/04...................25.....................26.... ......................40.....................9
3/3-4/04......................20......................33 .........................40.....................7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice that the most recent response causes a drop from your 53 percentage for the oxymoronic SS "marriage" to 37 percent!

And, notice that the 33 percent who favor recognition but not oxymoronically calling it "marriage" came from, not only the "marriage" group but from the opposed to SS "marriage" group.

Thus supporting SS recognition jumps to 70% if you call it rightly something other than "marriage".

This proves my point that the majority does not support SS .. wait for it .. .. marriage, as 63% do not support SS "marriage" though 70% want SS relationships recognized. :cool:

Now sure, there will be extreme ideologues who'll refuse anything other than the oxymoronic "marriage" as the term for these SS recognitions, but they're a really tiny and unreasonable extreme.

Clearly the great majority of society opposes same-sex "marriage", preferring a different name than "marriage" for those same-sex committed romantic domestic partnership civil unions.

This is understandable for a number of good reasons.

These links exhibit those good reasons:

Definitive propriety, respect for the time-honored true meaning of a word, clearly indicates that marriage is between a man and a woman as husband and wife, that heterosexuals really do "own" the word, so to speak: Gay marriage: Give it another name, it will pass

Even President Obama prefers a different name than "marriage" (though he more recently was pressured into denying that reality): Gay 'Marriage' vs. 'Civil Unions': What's in a Name? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Religious heterosexuals will simply not give up the fight to keep the word "marriage" from being erroneously corrupted, and they have the power: Substitute another word for same-sex 'marriage' | PennLive.com

Recent errors by a small minority of states allowing the oxymoronic "gay marriage" "same-sex marriage" is a temporary aberration, all things considered.

LGBT activists would do well to reconsider their brainwashing media tactic, as such is really futile, and instead take advantage of the current public's support for government and private enterprise recognition under an appropriately different term than "marriage", such as "homosexual marriage" or "homarriage" or the like.

Re: The Great Majority Opposes The Word "Marriage" for SS-Couples

Per the link and reference here:http://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/164824-naming-inevitability-same-sex-cudps-3.html#post1061986183

Clearly the great majority of society opposes same-sex "marriage", preferring a different name than "marriage" for those same-sex committed romantic domestic partnership civil unions.

This is understandable for a number of good reasons.

These links exhibit those good reasons:

Definitive propriety, respect for the time-honored true meaning of a word, clearly indicates that marriage is between a man and a woman as husband and wife, that heterosexuals really do "own" the word, so to speak: Gay marriage: Give it another name, it will pass

Even President Obama prefers a different name than "marriage" (though he more recently was pressured into denying that reality): Gay 'Marriage' vs. 'Civil Unions': What's in a Name? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Religious heterosexuals will simply not give up the fight to keep the word "marriage" from being erroneously corrupted, and they have the power: Substitute another word for same-sex 'marriage' | PennLive.com

Recent errors by a small minority of states allowing the oxymoronic "gay marriage" "same-sex marriage" is a temporary aberration, all things considered.

LGBT activists would do well to reconsider their brainwashing media tactic, as such is really futile, and instead take advantage of the current public's support for government and private enterprise recognition under an appropriately different term than "marriage", such as "homosexual marriage" or "homarriage" or the like.

I am opposed to same sex marriage and feel that if someone is really against it then they wouldn't be for it being legal but with just another word used for marriage. If I call a t-bone steak a spinach,lettuce and tomato salad will any vegans want to eat it? If I call a cowpie a t-bone steak will anyone who enjoys t-bone steak want to eat it? If I piss in a glass and call it sweet ice tea will any one who likes drinking sweet iced tea drink it?

This thread it's the biggest waste of time.

Same sex marriage can't be called marriage so we will call it something else but it will be the exact same thing?

Seems pointless rip even post this nonsense.

It's semantics, call a marriage anything you want, it doesn't make it any different. it will be called marriage by all those that practice it anyway.

Word games are ridiculous.

And Gallup says something different.

http://sas-origin.OnstreamMedia.com...roduction/Cms/POLL/jwowsa1ks020ehlt19i1la.png

I am opposed to same sex marriage and feel that if someone is really against it then they wouldn't be for it being legal but with just another word used for marriage. If I call a t-bone steak a spinach,lettuce and tomato salad will any vegans want to eat it? If I call a cowpie a t-bone steak will anyone who enjoys t-bone steak want to eat it? If I piss in a glass and call it sweet ice tea will any one who likes drinking sweet iced tea drink it?

Excellent point.

This thread it's the biggest waste of time.

Same sex marriage can't be called marriage so we will call it something else but it will be the exact same thing?

Seems pointless rip even post this nonsense.

It's semantics, call a marriage anything you want, it doesn't make it any different. it will be called marriage by all those that practice it anyway.

Word games are ridiculous.

And Gallup says something different.

http://sas-origin.OnstreamMedia.com...roduction/Cms/POLL/jwowsa1ks020ehlt19i1la.png

the government needs to get out the business of marriage all together. No one gets issued a marriage licenses just have them sign a contract of a civil union every one same sex and traditional. leave the title marriage up to the religious institutions where the term marriage originated to decide who qualifies for the marriage title

the government needs to get out the business of marriage all together. No one gets issued a marriage licenses just have them sign a contract of a civil union every one same sex and traditional. leave the title marriage up to the religious institutions where the term marriage originated to decide who qualifies for the marriage title

This is still semantics.

Marriage is civil union, same thing. You are just changing words around.

Besides the anti SSM dint want that because they get to use the term marriage, which is a synonym for civil union, to deny same sex couples equality.

There is no law saying that I can't call myself the King of England, or Dougie-fresh, or Mr. Douglas; I can refer to myself in anyway I want in all situations except legal ones. In the hypothetical situation that we just legalize "unions", what's to stop them from calling themselves "married"? Right now, they can do that if they want, they just don't get any legal benefits. It's a ridiculous word game, they'll be functionally identical to "marriage", whether you call it that or not. You can't legally stop them from using the word "marriage" right now, so I really just don't see the point. All that's on the table is benefits or no benefits, Homosexuals already got "marriage".

It's no different than affirming an oath vs. swearing an oath of office; in the eyes of the law, they're identical, and they're socially identical except for people trying to oust atheists.

It's because, unlike you, they are uncomfortable being labelled bigots.

There is no law saying that I can't call myself the King of England, or Dougie-fresh, or Mr. Douglas; I can refer to myself in anyway I want in all situations except legal ones. In the hypothetical situation that we just legalize "unions", what's to stop them from calling themselves "married"? Right now, they can do that if they want, they just don't get any legal benefits. It's a ridiculous word game, they'll be functionally identical to "marriage", whether you call it that or not. You can't legally stop them from using the word "marriage" right now, so I really just don't see the point. All that's on the table is benefits or no benefits, Homosexuals already got "marriage".

It's no different than affirming an oath vs. swearing an oath of office; in the eyes of the law, they're identical, and they're socially identical except for people trying to oust atheists.

I think a very few get hung up on the world "marriage," but by and large, they don't want equal rights for gays at all. The result is that many hide behind the word to justify their hate. So that would be the point i guess.

Absolutely false.

You cannot rightly compare this poll to the OP poll, as the OP poll asked the relevant question.

The poll you quote here does not give the respondents the option to differentiate between "marriage" and "other than marriage (civil union)" as the OP referenced poll did.

In the OP I contrasted the 53% in the poll back then (what you present here as 54%) with the breakdown of what it means when respondents are given more appropriate options from which to choose.

When respondents are given more appropriate options from which to choose, support for the oxymoronic "gay marriage" drops to 37%!

However, when respondents are given more appropriate options from which to choose, support for government and private enterprise recognition jumps from 53-54% to 70-71%.

Clearly the great majority -- 63% -- are not in favor of the oxymoronic "gay marriage".

But 70%, a greater majority, supports government and private enterprise recognition.

That's a major mandate: come up with a more rightly descriptive word than "marriage" (like "homosexual marriage" or "homarriage") and government and private enterprise recognition of same-sex committed romantic domestic partnership civil unions is a slam dunk! :cool:

This is still semantics.

Besides the anti SSM dint want that because they get to use the term marriage, which is a synonym for civil union, to deny same sex couples equality.

no its not denying any one equality because in the eyes of the law and government it is a civil union for both same sex and traditional.
marriage is the title given by the religions institute. many titles are only given if you meet a requirement and a standard to carry that title. is that inequality for the ones who don't qualify or meet the standards for that title?

could a white female ever be crowned black miss America? is that being prejudice and show inequality for not allowing a white female be able to have that title?

This is still semantics.

Why not just be happy with the term civil union, then everyone's happy.

I think a very few get hung up on the world "marriage," but by and large, they don't want equal rights for gays at all. The result is that many hide behind the word to justify their hate. So that would be the point i guess.
It's not a question of equal rights.

63% of the population polled do not think that the word "marriage" applies to same-sex couples, that "marriage" simply means "a man and a woman as husband and wife".

That's a huge percentage: 63% .. leaving only 37% who support it. That's just somewhat short of 2 to 1 against "gay marriage".

If 63% of the population polled think that "marriage" is simply not a term that can be applied to a same-sex couple's relevant relationship, that's not a rights issue, but is a foundational definitive propriety issue, meaning about respect for a word and its time-honored meaning.

It's like they're saying, no, you can't have a show with just cats (same-sex) and call it a "dog show" (marriage, which is by definition between a man and a woman), obviously.

That's all the great majority is saying here.

There's no hate in that, just respect for accurate and honest communication that facilitates true progress.

Reject the tyranny of the manufactured majority!

The issue is that "civil union" is a false option; there are plenty of homosexuals that get married in the states where it's still "illegal", in that it's a social title instead of a legal one. They're already married in the eyes of there community, the only option on the table is legal benefits or not; legalizing "civil union" vs. "marriage" will have 100% identical effects, since they can already call themselves married right now. Nobody owns a word, they can and will use it whether you like it or not. The only reason to promote 3 options instead of two is to split support on homosexual marriage in a way that helps the bigots keep the status quo. It's pseudo-gerrymandering

Why not just be happy with the term civil union, then everyone's happy.

I am okay with it.

all marriages are civil unions. They are synonyms. I never said I wasn't happy with it. The word games are just silly that was all I said

no its not denying any one equality because in the eyes of the law and government it is a civil union for both same sex and traditional.
marriage is the title given by the religions institute. many titles are only given if you meet a requirement and a standard to carry that title. is that inequality for the ones who don't qualify or meet the standards for that title?

could a white female ever be crowned black miss America? is that being prejudice and show inequality for not allowing a white female be able to have that title?

They are synonyms, the two terms mean the same thing.

The church decided they had a role in it, marriage existed long before the church, long before christianity. Their claim on it is false.

The church isn't involved in marriage.

Absolutely false.

You cannot rightly compare this poll to the OP poll, as the OP poll asked the relevant question.

The poll you quote here does not give the respondents the option to differentiate between "marriage" and "other than marriage (civil union)" as the OP referenced poll did.

In the OP I contrasted the 53% in the poll back then (what you present here as 54%) with the breakdown of what it means when respondents are given more appropriate options from which to choose.

When respondents are given more appropriate options from which to choose, support for the oxymoronic "gay marriage" drops to 37%!

However, when respondents are given more appropriate options from which to choose, support for government and private enterprise recognition jumps from 53-54% to 70-71%.

Clearly the great majority -- 63% -- are not in favor of the oxymoronic "gay marriage".

But 70%, a greater majority, supports government and private enterprise recognition.

That's a major mandate: come up with a more rightly descriptive word than "marriage" (like "homosexual marriage" or "homarriage") and government and private enterprise recognition of same-sex committed romantic domestic partnership civil unions is a slam dunk! :cool:

It doesn't matter, marriage is civil union, same thing.

I Don't think the population of the USA in any numbers believe in magic words.

We learned from history, separate but equal doesn't work. How many times must this lesson be taught?

Yeah the point is to say that it's different, even if the words mean the same thing.

The semantic debate is a pointless waste of time, and reflects a desperate desire to cling to ignorance and and divide us by our differences. "Separate but equal" is not equal, and there is no justification for gay couples to concede on this.

The semantic debate is a pointless waste of time, and reflects a desperate desire to cling to ignorance and and divide us by our differences. "Separate but equal" is not equal, and there is no justification for gay couples to concede on this.

I agree, it's just the latest attempt to subjugate homosexuals.

when loving vs Virginia happened (1967) over 75% of america didnt agree with interracial marriage
in fact it wasnt until the 90s that the majority approved of interracial marriage (which is pathetic it took so long)

discrimination lost and equal rights won

and now once again equality will eventually prevail and discrimination will lose and its sending people into a tizzy, i love it

equal rights for gays, coming to a state near you soon!

The church decided they had a role in it, marriage existed long before the church, long before christianity. Their claim on it is false.

so then if the terms means nothing if civil union and marriage are the same in your philosophy then you shouldn't have a problem with terminology unless a title is more important then the rights given under that title if marriage and civil unions gain the same rights

under my suggestion you gain no rights under the law or government for being married only under a civil union do you gain those rights

I agree, it's just the latest attempt to subjugate homosexuals.

under my suggestion only civil unions we be recognized by the law and government for the granting of rights. marriage means nothing in legal standings it is nothing but a title given by religious institutions

Im giving all the rights under the title civil union and taking the rights away from the title of marriage

100% right

legal marriage has nothing to do with religious marriage so any discussions of religion is pointless and meaningless when discussing legal marriage

Back
Top Bottom