• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Grading Scale

ahhh...yeah, that is a good point then. I am not sure what the issue is overall, other than people do not understand the need for an education and therefore do not appreciate the fact that they are being provided an essentially free one...

BodiSatva said:
ahhh...yeah, that is a good point then. I am not sure what the issue is overall, other than people do not understand the need for an education and therefore do not appreciate the fact that they are being provided an essentially free one...

indubitably....i like that word:mrgreen: ...generally speaking, most kids my age simply don't care...that is until they realize that they have screwed themselves over by not caring and they are in their mid-20s....then they blame the government and get welfare...yay for the public school system!

yeah, but that is not the public school system's fault.

The government should stop taking people by the hand when they fail.

goligoth said:
unfortunately people tend to do less if less is required...sure there are always those few who go way beyond the call of duty but they have nothing but an 'A' to show for it....so the system needs something...needs to be made tougher...

yeah....I can see that.

Oh God, Im back.

Anyway, I do more that is required. But I am receiving something more worthwhile (in my opinion). A nice education that is unrestricted by schools. I frequently visit these forums and other websites to learn more about the world. I really do wish that I could have a better standing in school, as I've decided the problem really isn't me. (I do my homework, and I have the best scores on basic skills tests/the ACT. And, as much as I hate to toot my own horn, I know more than them in most instances too.) But Ill post again once I read all of your lovely replies.

On another side note, it is certainly nice to see that we have returned to the debate at hand. As the constant bickering was the reason I left for a while in the first place :shock: .

A Sophist said:
Oh God, Im back.

I really do wish that I could have a better standing in school, as I've decided the problem really isn't me. (I do my homework, and I have the best scores on basic skills tests/the ACT. And, as much as I hate to toot my own horn, I know more than them in most instances too.)

I don't know your current situation, but if the problem isn't you than shouldn't you have an easy time going about fixing it....you say that you know the material, and most of the work that I've seen is simply memorizing a bit of info and reguritating it back to the teacher...you should have no problem...

A Sophist said:
Oh God, Im back.

Anyway, I do more that is required. But I am receiving something more worthwhile (in my opinion). A nice education that is unrestricted by schools. I frequently visit these forums and other websites to learn more about the world. I really do wish that I could have a better standing in school, as I've decided the problem really isn't me. (I do my homework, and I have the best scores on basic skills tests/the ACT. And, as much as I hate to toot my own horn, I know more than them in most instances too.) But Ill post again once I read all of your lovely replies.

I can promise, the problem is you. There is no vast school conspiracy to give bad grades to students who know the information and can spit it back out again on tests and assignments. Lots of people have gotten good grades in school doing the very thing you claim isn't working for you. And your ACT score doesn't do jack for your school grades.

Kelzie said:
I can promise, the problem is you. There is no vast school conspiracy to give bad grades to students who know the information and can spit it back out again on tests and assignments. Lots of people have gotten good grades in school doing the very thing you claim isn't working for you. And your ACT score doesn't do jack for your school grades.

Thank you for being so kind about it.

I know there is no conspiracy, but think about it. If there are multitudes of people other than me with this problem, there must be something wrong. I'm not saying I cause no problems, or that I'm perfect. In fact, I'm probably a "terrible" student according to the current standards. I'm not stupid. I do know what I'm doing in school. The problem lies in that I am different from what they want. I just believe that what they want is wrong.

Smart people do not fit into all systems, even intelligent people do not.
BUT, if a person is smart or intelligent and they are nice and they try, there is no reason at all that they would be facing these issues that you claim...it is ridiculous. Teachers are there becuase first and foremost, they like kids and want to help any and all that want to be helped and seek their guidance...if you find that this is not the case for you, then it is not because it is not true, it is because Kelzie is correct and so is what I said before.

The problem is you.

You are not tooting anything other than extremely bad gas...for both of those tests are a joke. If you do not know more than what is on those tests then you are lacking in critical thinking skills.

BodiSatva said:
Smart people do not fit into all systems, even intelligent people do not.
BUT, if a person is smart or intelligent and they are nice and they try, there is no reason at all that they would be facing these issues that you claim...it is ridiculous. Teachers are there becuase first and foremost, they like kids and want to help any and all that want to be helped and seek their guidance...if you find that this is not the case for you, then it is not because it is not true, it is because Kelzie is correct and so is what I said before.

The problem is you.

You are not tooting anything other than extremely bad gas...for both of those tests are a joke. If you do not know more than what is on those tests then you are lacking in critical thinking skills.

Ok then. First off, I never said that the basic skills tests were the only things I know. Heck, those don't even focus on what I consider my best qualities. And if you truly believe that "Teachers are there because first and foremost, they like kids and want to help any and all that want to be helped and seek their guidance...", let me be the first to say it. Get your head out of your rear end and see the light. People are not always out for your good. Teachers are in the job first and foremost for [/bold]survival[bold].

Maybe I should have clicked the bold button...

When I look within I see more light than when I look out upon the desolate plains that you are only capable of seeing.

Must I really say, "Grow up"?

You do not seem that intelligent upon reflection...of course every person works the job that they do for money...survival? Haha...get real. Survival is gutting your neighbor over a piece of bacon so that you can live another day...

What about a scientist that works on electro optics? Enhancing focal plains on detectors that enable greater range and various IR capabilities? Is this “survival”? It is some warped sense of love of advanced mathematics.

Teachers teach first and foremost BECAUSE THEY LIKE KIDS!!!

Otherwise they would get into another line of work.
I know a little more about this than you my young friend.
Learn and then learn some more…

A Sophist said:
Thank you for being so kind about it.

I know there is no conspiracy, but think about it. If there are multitudes of people other than me with this problem, there must be something wrong. I'm not saying I cause no problems, or that I'm perfect. In fact, I'm probably a "terrible" student according to the current standards. I'm not stupid. I do know what I'm doing in school. The problem lies in that I am different from what they want. I just believe that what they want is wrong.

I didn't say you were stupid. I didn't say you couldn't do it. I'm saying the public school system will give As. The people that have the problem are those who are not smart enough to make it. You don't seem to have that problem, which leads me to believe you either a) don't do as much homework as you claim or b) don't make the grades on the tests. If you are smart and you want the A, you will get it. If you don't care enough to do what they want to get it, you shouldn't be complaining about it.

A Sophist said:
Ok then. First off, I never said that the basic skills tests were the only things I know. Heck, those don't even focus on what I consider my best qualities. And if you truly believe that "Teachers are there because first and foremost, they like kids and want to help any and all that want to be helped and seek their guidance...", let me be the first to say it. Get your head out of your rear end and see the light. People are not always out for your good. Teachers are in the job first and foremost for [/bold]survival[bold].

so in order to survive they choose a job with terrible pay where they have to mentor kids who, according to you, they don't like....huh...seems...logical...:doh

Back
Top Bottom