• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The GOP's continuing Donald Trump problem

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

images

4/8/21
Donald Trump isn't finished inflicting pain on the Republican Party. Republicans' unwillingness to deal with their Trump problem, as late as his second impeachment, could well cost them dearly in 2022 and beyond. My Republican colleague, and Trump pollster, Tony Fabrizio, racks up the data that should be scaring the daylights out his fellow travelers. For reasons we've discussed, most Republican office holders are more worried about primary challenges than about general election defeats - and that concern attaches them to Trump's hip. Fabrizio's data demonstrates the former president's formidable grip on the party he cares not a whit about. Over half would support him in 2024 presidential primary; 88 percent liked the job he did as president; 49 percent consider themselves more Trump supporters than Republicans; offered a choice among a Trump Republican, a Bush Republican, and Reagan Republican, 51 percent opt for the Trump Republican; 57 percent want him continuing to lead the GOP. To cross him is to take a very serious risk in a party primary. Indeed, nine of the 10 House Republicans who voted for impeachment have already drawn primary challengers. Fabrizio uses combinations of these questions to dissect his party into five tribes based on their assessments of Trump.

He identified 27 percent of Republicans as "Diehard Trumpers" who idolize the man and another 10 percent as "InfoWars" Republicans because they share those feelings about Trump, while also embracing QAnon conspiracy theories. That's 37 percent of Republicans who are really "always Trumpers." 2020 was close only because Republicans turned out and stuck together. Depending on which exit poll you look at, 91 to 94 percent of Republicans voted for Trump and GOP House candidates. Post-Trump and post-Jan. 6 insurrection, the Republican party is not evenly divided, but it is divided. All told, Fabrizio classed 15 percent of Republicans as "Never Trump" and another 20 percent as "post-Trump" - partisans who thought he may have done a good job, but don't want him leading the party and don't want to vote for him again. Now I'm not suggesting it's that simple or that voters will behave just that way. But while the GOP may not be split, it is fractured, and those fractures are significant enough to have real electoral consequences. Fealty to Trump that may be necessary to win a primary could be politically deadly in a general election. Republicans have no one to blame for this conundrum but themselves - and their leaders.

Republicans are well aware of how vindictive Trump is.

If they want such a man to have his hands perpetually around their throats, then they also must be prepared to swear loyalty to Trump above everything else and place their necks on the execution block.

images

If they want such a man to have his hands perpetually around their throats, then they also must be prepared to swear loyalty to Trump above everything else and place their necks on the execution block.

Cult leaders are typically powerful people. This cult leader has a stronghold on 37 percent of Republicans? Not surprising. There always was a faction of breathtakingly stupid people.

images

I love when leftwingers tell Republicans what we need to do. After all, they only have our best interests at heart.

images

What really sucks for those "Republicans" is that the Republican rank and file is solidly behind Trump. That means those crying Republicans have a MUCH bigger problem than Trump.

I love when leftwingers tell Republicans what we need to do. After all, they only have our best interests at heart.
It's far better we tell left-wingers what to do since we have our own best interests at heart.

Obviously not. But how do you assess Trump's future with the party? At this point I wonder what's motivating him. He has civil and perhaps some criminal problems ahead. It would seem wise for him to keep a lower profile, not say things, for example, that could be interpreted as supporting Gaetz ("troubling accusations if true" would be the right response) and quietly abandon his "rigged election" mantra, hoping to build up a measure of good will among the general public. He could sort of fade into an elder statesman of the party role, and hope tesulting reduced ill will towards him might create, if not a Nixon-like pardon sentiment, at least a "go easy on him" one. Hard to do, given his insults to potentially the majority of the US public, but worth a shot. But, sigh, like his dumb response to the pandemic that could have been a second-term guarantee had he done it differently, I doubt doing what I recommend is possible for Donald.

What really sucks for those "Republicans" is that the Republican rank and file is solidly behind Trump. That means those crying Republicans have a MUCH bigger problem than Trump.
The Q’s are destroying the GOP.

Nice attempt to counter the multiple "Biden is an idiot" threads.

:poop: 👍

Just read a article about South Carolina GOP the Q’s are taking over.

The Q's are just an extension of the Birchers... and they took over a while ago. Now they are just overt about it.

The Q's are just an extension of the Birchers... and they took over a while ago. Now they are just overt about it.
True but they are gullible and loyal, destroying everything in their way.

Unbelievable how they are acting and believing in absolute BS.

If you look at it through the past couple of decades it makes complete sense though. There has been a concerted effort by grifters like Rush Limbaugh to break the trust of the institutions and major media in order to push their own brand of reality that has only been further fractured and amplified by sociopaths like Alex Jones.

They were peddling a separate reality that offered a secret knowledge that was outside of the mainstream and when that was gamified under the QAnon banner it becomes like heroin to some.

it is sad really.

Unbelievable how they are acting and believing in absolute BS.

You mean like the BS we heard for 3 1/2 years about how Trump was a Russian asset?

The 'Q's' are another leftwing myth.
Comical.
Bet I could find and post 10 x more republicans swearing by Qanon than you can find liberals swearing by Antifa- a truly made up mythical beast of an organization.

You mean like the BS we heard for 3 1/2 years about how Trump was a Russian asset?

Imagine if a Democrat while seeking the highest office in the land were to be simultaneously pursuing an enormous real estate deal in Moscow and even goes so far as to sign a letter of intent with a bank that are under sanctions of the very Government that he sought to lead, all the while lying about the status of having a deal while campaigning.

Just imagine.

The Q’s are destroying the GOP.
The Q's wouldn't survive without the cowardly, weak and gullible, which explains their effect on what was the GOP, but now the Trump Klan Party.

Imagine if a Democrat while seeking the highest office in the land were to be simultaneously pursuing an enormous real estate deal in Moscow and even goes so far as to sign a letter of intent with a bank that are under sanctions of the very Government that he sought to lead, all the while lying about the status of having a deal while campaigning.

Just imagine.

That was Trump's business. He has properties all over the world. But nice try.

Imagine if one of Trump's kids was a drug addicted loser who extorted millions from multiple foreign bad guys cause his dad was VP. Now imagine they found a hard drive in which he stated he was giving the "big guy" a cut.

Just imagine.

Nice to see Trump still living rent free in the media's head, Trump's propensity to extreme exaggeration, paired with a failed response to COVID whisked Trump and the GOP out of office.

I can see why liberal's what to keep him alive in the eyes of the public, but I don't understand why the GOP would. Even pandering to every wack job and deplorable in the nation wasn't enough to get him a second term, and one has to know that most Republicans now just want him to go away and be silent.

Trouble is when wack jobs and deplorables can capture the party in the primaries. We need look no further the the Democratic Party for examples of that.:cool:

That was Trump's business. He has properties all over the world. But nice try.

Imagine if one of Trump's kids was a drug addicted loser who extorted millions from multiple foreign bad guys cause his dad was VP. Now imagine they found a hard drive in which he stated he was giving the "big guy" a cut.

Just imagine.

So it is totally cool for someone who is running for the Office of the President of the United States to sign a letter of intent with a bank that is under US Sanctions?

Just asking for a friend.

Nice to see Trump still living rent free in the media's head, Trump's propensity to extreme exaggeration, paired with a failed response to COVID whisked Trump and the GOP out of office.

I can see why liberal's what to keep him alive in the eyes of the public, but I don't understand why the GOP would. Even pandering to every wack job and deplorable in the nation wasn't enough to get him a second term, and one has to know that most Republicans now just want him to go away and be silent.

Trouble is when wack jobs and deplorables can capture the party in the primaries. We need look no further the the Democratic Party for examples of that.:cool:

My problem is I would like a Conservative party that is at least rooted in the same reality as the rest of the world.

Today's GOP argues that Up is triangle.

Back
Top Bottom