• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The GOP's budget fail

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Not long ago, congressional Republicans said authoring and passing a budget were the basics of governing. They flew into open rage when Harry Reid's Senate Democrats took a pass on advancing a fiscal blueprint, and threatened to withhold lawmakers’ pay as a punishment. And they persuaded voters to return them to power because they would make Capitol Hill work again.

But here we are, on April 13, with Republicans holding both chambers of Congress, and there isn't a budget in sight.

Can't say Republicans didn't have good intentions when they promised to pass a budget every year, but we all know what the road to hell is paved with.

This is not Republicans against Democrats, but Republicans against Republicans. The Civil War inside the GOP has escalated to the point where Republicans are no longer able to govern, and won't be able to until one side or the other prevails and starts running the party. Until then, it is going to be slash and burn, performed by a circular firing squad.

Article is here.

This is why I love the parliamentary system where a budget vote is seen as a confidence vote.

Can't say Republicans didn't have good intentions when they promised to pass a budget every year, but we all know what the road to hell is paved with.

This is not Republicans against Democrats, but Republicans against Republicans. The Civil War inside the GOP has escalated to the point where Republicans are no longer able to govern, and won't be able to until one side or the other prevails and starts running the party. Until then, it is going to be slash and burn, performed by a circular firing squad.

Article is here.

I would like to see some reporting on how it is the Ryan thinks he can rebrand the party along his will when he does not even have the skill to get a budget done. I mean maybe, but it seems a stretch.

I would like to see some reporting on how it is the Ryan thinks he can rebrand the party along his will when he does not even have the skill to get a budget done. I mean maybe, but it seems a stretch.

Do you think that ANYBODY in the GOP can run any sort of party unity or anything approaching party discipline in this environment?

It will take the collapse or the storm out of the uber-right to make it happen. The good news, if you want to call it that, is that it will occur August. If Trump is denied the nomination you will likely have a storm out. If Trump is given the nomination the electoral fallout in Nov will cause the collapse of the uber-right. Either way we won't have to wait long.

This is why I love the parliamentary system where a budget vote is seen as a confidence vote.

I think that plenty of Americans consider how the budget is used in terms of confidence and support of elected officials. The parliamentary system does not have a edge on the this.

I think that plenty of Americans consider how the budget is used in terms of confidence and support of elected officials. The parliamentary system does not have a edge on the this.

A government that cannot pass it's budget is not a government.

Meh. The notion that not passing a unified budget rather than doing it piecemeal is some sort of colossal failure just doesn't resonate with me, nor does it with the well-informed familiar with the process. There's simply nothing that necessitates a comprehensive bill, as evidenced by results and the general sense of apathy on the part of both actors (Reid in years prior and McConnell in the present).

Do you think that ANYBODY in the GOP can run any sort of party unity or anything approaching party discipline in this environment?

Well, remember when Ryan was recruited? "we need Ryan, because he is the only one who can pull everyone together...". the point being that the conventional wisdom was that Ryan could do it. And boy did he make some big promises, none of which look anywhere close to coming true.

Basic smarts, political skill, desire to get the work done, trust, communication all seem to be in short supply in Washington, maybe no one can get a something as serious as a budget done, but if this is the situation then we need to deal with it....this is not OK.

I don't know anybody can buy into the GOP's bull**** on the budget anymore. If given the chance, they would blow the hell out of budget again, and they would blow it on the same issue they always spend millions on... war. If they are consistent on anything, it's trying to govern the rest of the world by sending in troops, dropping bombs, or something of the like. The only kind of republican worth voting for is one who is libertarian on foreign relations.

Article is here.

Article is here.
It seems their budget is coming together as smoothly as their nomination process!

Trust me, this otherwise Constitution loving guy sometimes wishes we had a full parliamentary system of governance! And I never would've considered saying anything remotely like this, 6 or 7 years ago!

Trust me, this otherwise Constitution loving guy sometimes wishes we had a full parliamentary system of governance! And I never would've considered saying anything remotely like this, 6 or 7 years ago!

Go to one minute:

This is the most famous defeat in Canadian history. Clark's government was only in power for a few months.

Go to one minute:

This is the most famous defeat in Canadian history. Clark's government was only in power for a few months.
That seemed like a pretty fast procedure!

Edit: I was in Montreal during the period just prior to a secessionist vote. Dayem, the Quebecois in the street were REALLY taking it seriously! I learned to avoid any discussion of it, since one they I.D.'d me as an American, they all wanted my opinion! And they took serious sides!

Last edited:
That seemed like a pretty fast procedure!

Well it is one vote in the House so technically yes. That is all it takes for a government to be defeated and an election to be forced.

Back
Top Bottom