• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The GOP will be sorry if it tries to tie defunding Obamacare to Debt limit hike

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Right now the USA is looking at a federal government shutdown if a hike in the Debt limit isn't passed soon.

Some people in the GOP want to try to tie defunding Obamacare to an increase in the debt ceiling. That is not going to happen.

The GOP will lose this battle. Don't take my word for it, Wait and see.

Read about it here : http://news.yahoo.com/wild-week-ahead-senate-confronts shutdown-deadline-050639978.html

Raising the debt ceiling is not about spending more money, it's about paying bills that the U.S. congress, including the GOP, agreed to already.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

If the law is so bad than why are the Republicans not willing to wait until the 2014 midterms and then repeal it with the majority they will surely receive if the law is half as bad as they claim?

Whats really sad is that many believe, and you'll see them here, will talk about how the GOP is just trying to cut spending by cutting Obamacare and therefore remove the need for future debt ceiling debates. However as many of us know the government has been outgrowing its debt ceiling well before Obamacare, therefore repealing/defunding and claiming it saves the government from future debt ceiling increases is obviously false.

Mitch McConnell said the debt ceiling was a "hostage worth ransoming" and that hostage is every other function of government.

The sooner it's defunded and then stripped from the books the better. This delay BS is just a way to give the noxtious weed time to send out roots so we can never dig it up.

If the law is so bad than why are the Republicans not willing to wait until the 2014 midterms and then repeal it with the majority they will surely receive if the law is half as bad as they claim?

name one social program that has been repealed after it was implemented? Democrats know this, and that is why they don't give a dam that it is a train wreck that is going to cost trillions of tax payer dollars, cost million their jobs get put or put on part time, and or losing the employer provided health insurance, because they know once it is implemented we are stuck with it we are on the road to government run socialized medicine and there is no turning back

Last edited:
I am so sick of this perpetual debt limit crap. Every single time there has to be some kind of insane battle over it. That is, there is a partisan hackery nonsensefest over congress deciding to pay its own bills. Democrats should just call the Republicans' bluff this time. It's on their heads when our bills go unpaid. Party of fiscal responsibility, right?

The sooner it's defunded and then stripped from the books the better. T
his delay BS is just a way to give the noxtious weed time to send out roots so we can never dig it up.

It is not going to be defunded. Don't take my word for this, just wait and see. It will still be in effect long after another Democrat takes Obama's place in the White House in 2017.

[B]"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.[/B]

I am so sick of this perpetual debt limit crap. Every single time there has to be some kind of insane battle over it. That is, there is a partisan hackery nonsensefest over congress deciding to pay its own bills. Democrats should just call the Republicans' bluff this time. It's on their heads when our bills go unpaid. Party of fiscal responsibility, right?

here are some facts

Americans net income per year is about 9 trillion dollars that is every ones income for that year added together

local, city, county, state, and federal government spending is about 7 trillion a year

that means everyone that brings in any type of income would have to pay over 75% in taxes to pay for the government spending

Last edited:
name one social program that has been repealed after it was implemented? Democrats know this, and that is why they don't give a dam that it is a train wreck that is going to cost trillions of tax payer dollars, cost million their jobs get put or put on part time, and or losing the employer provided health insurance, because they know once it is implemented we are stuck with it we are on the road to government run socialized medicine and there is no turning back

If you're honest to God of the belief that we are "stuck with it" then why are you wasting everyone's time trying to repeal something that can't be repealed?

Also offering up the challenge of "naming a social program that was repealed" as if it cannot be answered is painful man, its real God damn painful to read that because it tells me that despite having such a loud obnoxious know-it-all attitude you really don't know all that much. Do you really believe that no social program has ever been repealed, do you think before you talk? Do you know nothing of the New Deal and all the programs created as part of it, most of which no longer exist today?

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Resettlement Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Recovery Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public Works Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're honest to God of the belief that we are "stuck with it" then why are you wasting everyone's time trying to repeal something that can't be repealed?

Also offering up the challenge of "naming a social program that was repealed" as if it cannot be answered is painful man, its real God damn painful to read that because it tells me that despite having such a loud obnoxious know-it-all attitude you really don't know all that much. Do you really believe that no social program has ever been repealed, do you think before you talk? Do you know nothing of the New Deal and all the programs created as part of it, most of which no longer exist today?

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Resettlement Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Recovery Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public Works Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you had to go back 75 years ago to find one and those programs where written as temporary programs to give people temporary jobs or relocate till the economy got better. Obama care isn't a temporary program

you had to go back 75 years ago to find one and those programs where written as temporary programs to give people temporary jobs or relocate till the economy got better. Obama care isn't a temporary program

So in other words, I was right, you were wrong, and you've moved the goal posts and want to pretend that's what you meant the whole time?

No thanks.

Just because one has never been done doesn't mean it can't. Plus, if it is so deathly awful I am sure that somebody might have the brilliant idea of repealing it.

Right now the USA is looking at a federal government shutdown if a hike in the Debt limit isn't passed soon.

Some people in the GOP want to try to tie defunding Obamacare to an increase in the debt ceiling. That is not going to happen.

Since you seemingly don't like Republicans, why would this bother you?

So in other words, I was right, you were wrong, and you've moved the goal posts and want to pretend that's what you meant the whole time?

No thanks.

no because they in the general terms not considered social welfare programs but work programs to get people work. also you haven't proved they was repealed just discontinued because they wasn't needed anymore

Just because one has never been done doesn't mean it can't. Plus, if it is so deathly awful I am sure that somebody might have the brilliant idea of repealing it.

that is what the Democrats would want to happen is for it to be repealed it after it was implemented. so the can spew their hatful rhetoric that republicans are taking away insurance to million of Americans. once the government provides insurance they have to keep providing it one way or the other. hell we cant even change Medicare to keep it from going bankrupt with out democrats showing commercial of granny getting thrown off a cliff

Since you seemingly don't like Republicans, why would this bother you?

You are partly right, I don't like some Republicans and this doesn't bother me because the outcome of this kerfuffle will benefit the Democratic Party.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

You are partly right, I don't like some Republicans and this doesn't bother me because the outcome of this kerfuffle will benefit the Democratic Party.

My point exactly. Your op seems as though you are exasperated with Republicans, but in reality, this should make you happy.

It is not going to be defunded. Don't take my word for this, just wait and see. It will still be in effect long after another Democrat takes Obama's place in the White House in 2017.

Whether that ends up being the case or not it's what I want and what most of the GOP's constituency wants, so they are duty bound to make the effort.

Whether that ends up being the case or not it's what I want and what most of the GOP's constituency wants, so they are duty bound to make the effort.

Its all about 2014. the line has been drawn it is that last and most important roll call on who is for and who is against Obama care. And the train wreck which it will surely be will be happening not to long before the 2014 campaign season. both republicans that didn't try to repair it and the democrats who supported it will have a lot of explaining to do and get beat unmercifully over the head with it

only if Obama care is successful and every indication points to it being the worst train wreck in modern history even members of the democrat party says it is a train wreck and then you will be judged on what side you were you on where you on the side to repeal it trying to save the public from this disaster or were you on the side not to repeal it and made the public suffer

did you notice you had three democrats that voted yes on the house bill. want to know why they voted yes because they know it will be a train wreck and the are from purple or red states and they want to be able to tell their district they tried to keep the train wreck from happening it was those other democrats that wanted to have the train wreck

Last edited:

Read about it here : http://news.yahoo.com/wild-week-ahead-senate-confronts shutdown-deadline-050639978.html

Raising the debt ceiling is not about spending more money, it's about paying bills that the U.S. congress, including the GOP, agreed to already.

It always amuses me when leftists who proclaim principles try to smear conservatives for having principles. The House has passed its debt ceiling increase. What Obama or the Senate does is beyond their control. They have a duty that does not require them to yield to blackmail or interwebby threats. The GOP is doing just peachy as far as their constituency is concerned or they would not be in control of the House. The bad reputation of the GOP or of the Congress has just slid right off them before and it will again.

Maybe it is time for the Nobel Prize winning Leader of the Free World to stop playing the victim and actually exercise some leadership :shrug:

My point exactly.
Your op seems as though you are exasperated with Republicans, but in reality, this should make you happy.

I have mixed feelings, I'm a little happy and mostly disgusted. A government shutdown would be bad for a lot of Americans, including all of our military. It wouldn't be a good thing.

People like you make me happy that this will really hurt the GOP.

Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988

Soon to be followed by the Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Repeal Act of 1989

Last edited:
Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988

That was just an expansion on Medicare benefits to include outpatient drugs and limit enrollees' copayments for covered services. It wasn't a social program by itself. Keep trying guys. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom