• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The GOP scam is getting worse — for Republican voters. A new study shows how.

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

375x250.jpg

3/8/21
When every Senate Republican voted against President Biden’s $1.9 trillion rescue package over the weekend, it revived a question that analysts have asked about the modern GOP for decades: Why do so many conservative Americans vote against their own economic interests? A new analysis by three leading political scientists theorizes this question in a fresh way: by comprehensively analyzing the political economy of red states, relative to that of blue ones. In so doing, they have captured some striking truths about this political moment. Its key finding: We’re in the grip of a paradox. Even as areas that vote Republican continue falling behind blue America economically — helping widen those oft-discussed regional inequalities between cosmopolitan and outlying areas — GOP elites everywhere are growing more committed to an increasingly uniform and regressive agenda that does little to address the problem. “Red America is falling farther behind, but the politicians who represent it at all levels have gotten more unified on an economic agenda that hurts the people who live there,” Jacob Hacker, the Yale political scientist who co-authored the analysis, told me. The $1.9 trillion package includes large stimulus checks to most individuals, extended unemployment benefits, a big infusion of aid to state governments, and a new child cash allowance that could cut childhood poverty in half.

“Blue America is increasingly buoyed by the knowledge economy,” the analysis concludes, while “red America is struggling to find a viable growth model for the twenty-first century.” How did this happen? A big part of the problem, the authors argue, is conservative governance. The analysis looks at the political economy of 26 states that voted Republican in presidential elections three times since 2000. Of those, 21 are what the authors call “low road states.” The “low road states” still labor under the legacies of “conservative governance,” which include lower minimum wages, anti-union policies, and underfunded education and infrastructure. The ultimate paradox here may be this. As the analysis concludes, GOP political elites are able to continue insulating themselves from accountability for this disconnect, not just “through identity appeals rooted in racial and cultural backlash,” but also because of the bias “of the American electoral system toward nonurban areas.” “Republicans enjoy a huge advantage because the Senate over-weights rural areas and because Democratic voters are packed into urban areas, which is made worse by gerrymandering,” Hacker told me. “The tragic irony is that this huge rural bias also helps Republicans get away with ignoring the economic needs of their own constituents.”

Unless the red/rural dynamic changes so that these states have a viable path forward to greater economic success, they will probably remain under the thumb of conservative politicians who have no interest in altering the current dynamic.

To prolong their political longevity, GOP politicians don't want their poor rural red states becoming more blue and affluent.

375x250.jpg

Unless the red/rural dynamic changes so that these states have a viable path forward to greater economic success, they will probably remain under the thumb of conservative politicians who have no interest in altering the current dynamic.

To prolong their political longevity, GOP politicians don't want their poor rural red states becoming more blue and affluent.

Again and again Republican policies screw over the common folks, yet again and again these people vote against their own economic interests. :(

It's a way to hold onto their base. Keep them poor and disadvantaged and then "champion" them.

It's just like Roe v Wade. Republican lawmakers will never let that case be overturned. It RvW goes away, so do many of their base.

375x250.jpg

Why is it the economic interest of Republicans to use taxpayer money to bail out Democratic-controlled cities?

375x250.jpg

This article really makes me think of Ted Cruz, Texas, and what the GOP did to the power grid. Elitists like Cruz just run away to a resort, and there is little accountability in red states for such bad behavior. The poor average people in Texas can go bankrupt if those electric bills are not wiped out. Cruz and politicians like him will do nothing to change the system. I agree that America is largely screwed by the GOP because the senate is tilted towards them. They also can’t govern or pass legislation. They have no interest in improving anything. They are the bad government that’s in the way.

Perhaps the GOP opposition to providing aid to the American people provides an opening for Dem candidates with some GOP voters.

EwDf70PWgAgbv6V
It should, which is why I don’t hate Joe Manchun.

It's a way to hold onto their base. Keep them poor and disadvantaged and then "champion" them.

It's just like Roe v Wade. Republican lawmakers will never let that case be overturned. It RvW goes away, so do many of their base.
Also elitist like Ted Cruz will still have access to abortion services and encourage it for their mistresses

Panic stricken left trying to enjoy their few weeks of imagined power .

Biden was notionally inaugurated on January 20 . Trouble is, DC is no longer part of the new Republic .
Never yet made one Press Conference . Though has made wobbly appearances at Castle Rock studios made up to look like the Oval Office .
Guess they had to provide 24x7 care , but Dumbocrats should be mercifully pleased not to see him too often ---- mumbling and bumbling , forgetting names and places and unable to remember where he is .

I never thought I would see the Republic of America reduced to third world status -- a Banana Republic temporarily no less . Very sad .

375x250.jpg

Wow, this quoted section stated the problem very clearly, concisely. They put their finger right on the heart of the problem. Thank you for posting it.

Democrat-run cities generate 85% of the GDP of the country. And growing.
So what? Do you think that means the federal taxpayers have to bail them out when they screw up their finances? I don't.

Again and again Republican policies screw over the common folks, yet again and again these people vote against their own economic interests. :(

If you can convince someone that his very way of life is in imminent jeopardy, he will surrender his economic interests to you in exchange for the promise of security. So long as you constantly remind him of the horrors you are keeping at bay, you don't have to actually do anything for him.

So what? Do you think that means the federal taxpayers have to bail them out when they screw up their finances? I don't.

Federal taxpayers is basically themselves. Why should they help the farmers all the time?

Federal taxpayers is basically themselves. Why should they help the farmers all the time?
I'm a taxpayer, but I don't get a thing from bailing out spendthrift San Francisco.

And I agree...why should the taxpayers help the farmers all the time?

But you seem to be okay with the Democrats creating a slush fund for their buddies and paymasters.

I'm a taxpayer, but I don't get a thing from bailing out spendthrift San Francisco.

Sure you do. The computer/cell phone you’re typing on probably had at least some part of it designed there, or had its software written there.

Sure you do. The computer/cell phone you’re typing on probably had at least some part of it designed there, or had its software written there.
Oh...so now the Democrats in SF are responsible for computers and cell phones? Hey...does that guy who invented the internet...you know, Gore...live there, too?

You might want to see where the vast majority of the tax payers comes from and it is not red.
???

The "vast majority of tax payers" come from San Francisco?

Oh...so now the Democrats in SF are responsible for computers and cell phones? Hey...does that guy who invented the internet...you know, Gore...live there, too?

So you think if you let San Francisco sink, your quality-of-life will not be affected? Or is it just that you prefer to cut off your nose to spite your face?

Why is it the economic interest of Republicans to use taxpayer money to bail out Democratic-controlled cities?

Your shared wrong perspective is what largely lost Trump the election last November. Americans are sick and tired of listening to the bull shit of those who think/speak about two separate Americas supposedly at war with each other.

It is a lousy anti American, anti patriotic lie.

So you think if you let San Francisco sink, your quality-of-life will not be affected? Or is it just that you prefer to cut off your nose to spite your face?
If SF sinks, you are right...my quality of life will not be affected.

If SF sinks, you are right...my quality of life will not be affected.

Interesting. So what if all the Democrat run cities sunk? Do you still think your quality of life would not be affected?

Back
Top Bottom