• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The GOP isn't just alienating corporate America, big law firms are joining the fight

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

4/12/21
Not only are American corporations readily ignoring Sen. Mitch McConnell's threats to shut their traps about voter suppression laws, now big law firms are getting active in the fight too. Some 60 major law firms are uniting around an effort “to challenge voter suppression legislation and to support national legislation to protect voting rights and increase voter participation,” Brad Karp, chairman of the heavyweight law firm Paul Weiss, told The New York Times. Though the group has not been formally announced, Karp promised it would "emphatically denounce legislative efforts to make voting harder, not easier, for all eligible voters, by imposing unnecessary obstacles and barriers on the right to vote.” The firms are teaming up with the Brennan Center for Justice, a nonprofit organization that has been tracking Republican legislation across the country, to strategize about which laws to file legal challenges against. “We plan to challenge any election law that would impose unnecessary barriers on the right to vote and that would disenfranchise underrepresented groups in our country,” Karp said. As one might expect, that includes the Georgia law, which has invited a flurry of fallout already for both the state and the Republican lawmakers who passed it.

Michael Waldman, president of the Brennan Center, told the Times the coalition of law firms put lawmakers "on notice" that unconstitutional and legally flawed laws will almost certainly result in legal pushback. “This is beyond the pale," Waldman said of the GOP suppression laws. "You’re hearing that from the business community and you’re hearing it from the legal community.” Make no mistake, this is so far from over. But perhaps the biggest development emerging from the rash of GOP voter suppression laws sweeping the nation is the deepening rift between Republicans and the wealthy sector of voters and donors who have traditionally gravitated toward the GOP for decades. We could be witnessing nothing short of a political realignment that stands to upend American politics as we have known it for more than a generation.

I think Mitch McConnell and the Georgia Republican Party have badly misread this issue. I'm sure they expected some pushback, but certainly not significant pushback on the order they are facing.

And I doubt they ever expected corporate pushback. They risk being viewed as the party of American apartheid.

I think Mitch McConnell and the Georgia Republican Party have badly misread this issue. I'm sure they expected some pushback, but certainly not significant pushback on the order they are facing.

And I doubt they ever expected corporate pushback. They risk being viewed as the party of American apartheid.

Good, but let's see these corporations back HB1 before I take their statements seriously. Otherwise it's just nice words with no actions.

This is nice to see, but I am still not comfortable with businesses taking up the fight as many businesses have an ethically dubious history. Long term this could be good or bad for the country even if in the short term it seems to be good.

Back
Top Bottom