• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The GOP formulae to victory in 2016

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I. Manipulate the voting procedure by skewing the laws in their favour--gerrymandering.

2. Restrict voting rights for blacks, latinos, Asians, the working poor.

3. Get all whites to vote.

I. Manipulate the voting procedure by skewing the laws in their favour--gerrymandering.

Yeah look st that leftist tolerance right there I feel so welcome to a open exchange of ideas that can lead to accurate representation of the issues :roll:.

Yeah look st that leftist tolerance right there I feel so welcome to a open exchange of ideas that can lead to accurate representation of the issues :roll:.

LOL since when has the US right ever been open to an exchange of ideas? They have been ****-blocking everything in the house for 5 years now... putting in legislation that only a very small minority wants.

And if it was to be an accurate representation of the people, the US congress would have 2/3 of non GOPers instead of a majority in the House and almost half in the Senate.

LOL since when has the US right ever been open to an exchange of ideas? They have been ****-blocking everything in the house for 5 years now... putting in legislation that only a very small minority wants.

And if it was to be an accurate representation of the people, the US congress would have 2/3 of non GOPers instead of a majority in the House and almost half in the Senate.

If we had accurate representation, at least 50% of them would be the party of "I don't give a **** about government so long as they keep the streets maintained."

If we had accurate representation, at least 50% of them would be the party of "I don't give a **** about government so long as they keep the streets maintained."

Thats called the Democrats :) and it is more like 66% :)

I don't think that strategy works anymore, no matter what the voting laws are.

I don't think that strategy works anymore, no matter what the voting laws are.

Has worked well in Texas and other red states has it not? Limiting turnout in some areas, gerrymandering districts to give a given result and consolidating districts so that one party benefits more than another... Considering more people voted for democratic candidates than GOP candidates in the last election and the GOP maintained their majority, clearly shows that such crap actually works.

Thats called the Democrats :) and it is more like 66% :)

No the democrats are the party of "I don't give a **** about government so long as they keep promising us freestuff".

How else can you win as a minority?

When you hear the words...."democratic ...or liberty"....... spewing from the mouths of the right-wing .....just walk away.

What they are going to do is what the banks do with their opt-out games ....create confusion ...and create un-necessary work for targeted voters.

It's the age-old ...guess-the number of jelly-beans-in-the-jar trick used in the south during the 60's ....all over again!!

God bless them.

No the democrats are the party of "I don't give a **** about government so long as they keep promising us freestuff".

Unlike the Republicans who give it to big business and the few wealthy and blame all the ills of the world on the left?

Unlike the Republicans who give it to big business and the few wealthy and blame all the ills of the world on the left?

The pinko mindset is fascinating. Failure to seize the assets of the wealthy is "giving them money". Democrats are thieves at heart that are just too damned cowardly and lazy to do their own stealing and think the government should do their stealing for them. Freestuffers will never be happy because they'll never get the easy life they think they're signing up for by voting (D).

The pinko mindset is fascinating. Failure to seize the assets of the wealthy is "giving them money". Democrats are thieves at heart that are just too damned cowardly and lazy to do their own stealing and think the government should do their stealing for them. Freestuffers will never be happy because they'll never get the easy life they think they're signing up for by voting (D).

this post does not dignify an answer..

this post does not dignify an answer..
Yet you did, which explains much...:peace

I wouldn't label Pete's post as an 'answer' because it doesn't make any attempt to refute the nonsense spewed by the earlier poster. Nor will I. Those who believe fabulous tales of the "good old days" seldom, if ever, are willing to accept reality.

I wouldn't label Pete's post as an 'answer' because it doesn't make any attempt to refute the nonsense spewed by the earlier poster. Nor will I. Those who believe fabulous tales of the "good old days" seldom, if ever, are willing to accept reality.

I see. And yet in your own way, you did answer, just as Pete did.

It seems to me, those who post fabulous tales fueled by their prejudice, are seldom, if ever, able to even grasp reality.

I appreciate you two for proving the point.

Really any statistics to back that bold statement up.

Has worked well in Texas and other red states has it not? Limiting turnout in some areas, gerrymandering districts to give a given result and consolidating districts so that one party benefits more than another... Considering more people voted for democratic candidates than GOP candidates in the last election and the GOP maintained their majority, clearly shows that such crap actually works.
Amy proof of that or are you just talking out your ass?

Don't know if you will believe the article but here are some words on the matter
Republicans Win Congress as Democrats Get Most Votes - Bloomberg

In the 1780s, Patrick Henry tried to shape Virginia’s House district lines to block James Madison from serving in the first U.S. Congress. The grudge between the two men: Henry opposed the U.S. Constitution freshly written primarily by Madison. The gambit failed and Madison won his seat.

More than two centuries later, the politics of redistricting still are shaping Congress.

A majority of Americans disapprove of the Republicans in Congress, yet the odds remain in the party’s favor that it will retain control of the House. One big reason the Republicans have this edge: their district boundaries are drawn so carefully that the only votes that often matter come from fellow Republicans.
<snip>
In Pennsylvania, where Democratic votes are concentrated in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Republicans won 13 of 18 House seats while losing the statewide congressional vote, 2.8 million to 2.7 million. In North Carolina, Republicans drew three districts to be overwhelmingly Democratic and won nine of the other ten, even as House Democratic candidates won the statewide vote, 2.2 million to 2.1 million.

While drawing federal districts to their advantage, Republicans also created favorable state House maps to make it harder for Democrats to wrest control of the redistricting process in 2020. In Michigan, Republican candidates won most of the 110 state House seats despite winning 350,000 fewer votes than Democrats, said Sargeant.

more on the subject from PolitiFact
House Democrats out-earned their Republican counterparts by 1.17 million votes. Read another way, Democrats won 50.59 percent of the two-party vote. Still, they won just 46.21 percent of seats, leaving the Republicans with 234 seats and Democrats with 201.

It was the second time in 70 years that a party won the majority of the vote but didn’t win a majority of the House seats, according to the analysis.

The National Republican Congressional Committee did not dispute these findings.

The success of Republicans in gerrymandering not only Congressional districts but also those of their state legislatures means that for at least the next seven to eight years, Democrats would need to win close to 60% of the popular vote across the country in order to take control of the political scene.

How sad it must be to live a life of paranoid victimhood.

How sad it must be to live a life of paranoid victimhood.

1: Gerrymandering - see my post just before CanadaJohn's post

2: Restriction of voting rights -
A Massachusetts Institute of Technology analysis determined that blacks and Hispanics waited nearly twice as long in line to vote on average than whites. Florida had the nation’s longest lines, at 45 minutes, followed by the District of Columbia, Maryland, South Carolina and Virginia, according to Charles Stewart III, the political science professor who conducted the analysis.

A separate analysis, by an Ohio State University professor and The Orlando Sentinel, concluded that more than 200,000 voters in Florida “gave up in frustration” without voting.

3: Promote "white-only" voting - Ann Coulter: GOP Should Forget About The Hispanic Vote , Conservative Activist Urges Republicans To Forget Hispanics, Work Harder At Courting Whites, and an interesting article found on RealClearPolitics.com that concludes
Democrats liked to mock the GOP as the “Party of White People” after the 2012 elections. But from a purely electoral perspective, that’s not a terrible thing to be. Even with present population projections, there are likely to be a lot of non-Hispanic whites in this country for a very long time. Relatively slight changes among their voting habits can forestall massive changes among the non-white population for a very long while. The very white baby boom generation is just hitting retirement age, and younger whites, while unsurprisingly more Democratic than the baby boomers (who, you may recall, supported George McGovern), still voted for Romney overall.

1: Gerrymandering - see my post just before CanadaJohn's post

2: Restriction of voting rights -

3: Promote "white-only" voting - Ann Coulter: GOP Should Forget About The Hispanic Vote , Conservative Activist Urges Republicans To Forget Hispanics, Work Harder At Courting Whites, and an interesting article found on RealClearPolitics.com that concludes
1 are you gonna try and tell my gerrymandering doesn't happen in California?
2 long lines are not evidence of organized discrimination.
3anne is an idiot luckily she is not the one setting policy.

1 are you gonna try and tell my gerrymandering doesn't happen in California?
2 long lines are not evidence of organized discrimination.
3anne is an idiot luckily she is not the one setting policy.

1: No I'm not going to say gerrymandering "doesn't happen in California" but the data shows that most recently, it has been the Republicans who across the nation have most indulged in this little political game.

2: Long waits to vote may not be evidence of "organized discrimination". Such waits occurring primarily in urban, minority, low-income districts just might be seen however, as such discrimination when majority white, middle income districts in close proximity did not have such problems.

3: Ann Coulter provided only one such statement in my post, there were two other links also illustrating the problem.

1: No I'm not going to say gerrymandering "doesn't happen in California" but the data shows that most recently, it has been the Republicans who across the nation have most indulged in this little political game.

2: Long waits to vote may not be evidence of "organized discrimination". Such waits occurring primarily in urban, minority, low-income districts just might be seen however, as such discrimination when majority white, middle income districts in close proximity did not have such problems.

3: Ann Coulter provided only one such statement in my post, there were two other links also illustrating the problem.

The big problem is with the long lines argument is that usually in poor neighborhoods due to lack of equipment i think that in many state the district is responsible for providing the voting machines so its not like Rick perry is ordering less voting machines for the poor neighborhood in fact it's the poor neighborhood doesn't have the tax base to get as many machines .

The big problem is with the long lines argument is that usually in poor neighborhoods due to lack of equipment i think that in many state the district is responsible for providing the voting machines so its not like Rick perry is ordering less voting machines for the poor neighborhood in fact it's the poor neighborhood doesn't have the tax base to get as many machines .

Poor tax base means separate and unequal. Long lines do not occur in Repub areas. California has a Commission remap that pleases neither party.

Back
Top Bottom