• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Good Life

The good life for any living thing is the life in which that living thing flourishes as the living thing it is.
Is there an Aristotelian in the house?

Did Ted Bundy flourish?

No, "purpose" is original intent

It is not a by-product of anyone's personal goals.

A "purpose" is what an object was intended for when it was built/created

A table is given a purpose, by the carpenter who built it...the table doesn't create its own purpose.

Satisfaction in not an "option"

It is a feeling or an emotion gained by a human upon the completion of a self appointed goal.

None of the above's lives had "meaning"

They may have had some significance in human or even scientific history

But can you tell me what "meaning" any human's life has ever had ?

Martin Luther's significance is that he sparked the Protestant Reformation.

But can you tell me what meaning his life had ?

No, the table only has the purpose of its current use. Take...the violen. It's purpose was to play music, and when made, a very specific kind. And now, they are used to make all sorts of music. They're even plucked like a guitar, which is well outside the purpose of their invention.

People purpose can change, too.

Martin Luther Kings life had plenty of meaning. You're just not seeing the small picture.

So why did you start this thread? Your take on "good" is loaded with much more than your final sentiment here. Ted Bundy could claim the same as you.
I started this thread so that you could post this inanity, I guess.

Eudaimonism -- that's the ticket! If you wish to understand the good life, then you'll have to understand eudaimonism.
Or you can continue arguing the semantics of words with more than one meaning till the cows come home.

No, the table only has the purpose of its current use....

Correct. A man might take a table and chop it up into firewood.

The firewood has a purpose - to be burned

...the violen. It's purpose was to play music, and when made, a very specific kind. And now, they are used to make all sorts of music. They're even plucked like a guitar, which is well outside the purpose of their invention...

A violin is built to play music...how that music is played is down to the musician not the violin maker

The purpose remains: To play music

Someone else could take that violin and use it to club someone else to death. But that is / was not the violin's purpose.

...people purpose can change, too...

No, people can simply change their goals in life

...Martin Luther Kings life had plenty of meaning. You're just not seeing the small picture.

MLK Jr's life had no purpose or meaning

It did, however, have great significance in the history of the USA.

Correct. A man might take a table and chop it up into firewood.

The firewood has a purpose - to be burned

A violin is built to play music...how that music is played is down to the musician not the violin maker

The purpose remains: To play music

Someone else could take that violin and use it to club someone else to death. But that is / was not the violin's purpose.

No, people can simply change their goals in life

MLK Jr's life had no purpose or meaning

It did, however, have great significance in the history of the USA.

His life had meaning for the folks he directly affected.

No, people find no purpose

People can determine a goal or mission(s) in their life.

And this can change.

If you assign yourself a goal and you achieve it, then so what?

You're confusing "meaning" and "significance".

No-one's life has "meaning". Some people do things that positively affect dozens, hundreds, millions of others...so you could say their life had significance.

Louis Pasteur springs to mind.

This appears to be a semantic argument based on the word 'purpose'. .. and the two of you are using different meanings for that term.

His life had meaning for the folks he directly affected.

No, his life had significance on those directed affected.

I think you should give your definition of "meaning" ... with respect to a person's life would it not be the same as "significance" ?

So, a violin has purpose but the violin maker does not?? :lamo

No, the violin maker has no purpose.

Because the violin maker wasn't created to make violins...he/she chose to make violins.

This appears to be a semantic argument based on the word 'purpose'. .. and the two of you are using different meanings for that term.

I am using a simple definition of the word "purpose"

That for which an object was created for.

Man wasn't created to do anything. Anything man does, he chooses to do or not do.

A violin was created to play music...that is its purpose.

If man has a purpose at all, the only thing you might say it is, is to re-produce.
And I'm not even sure that can be called a purpose either.

I am using a simple definition of the word "purpose"

That for which an object was created for.

Man wasn't created to do anything. Anything man does, he chooses to do or not do.

A violin was created to play music...that is its purpose.

If man has a purpose at all, the only thing you might say it is, is to re-produce.
And I'm not even sure that can be called a purpose either.

That is the definition of purpose as a noun. There is a definition as purpose as a verb. As such, you two are talking cross purposes to each other. I think you did it o purpose.

Oy!

People have purposes, in the sense of aims, reasons for acting.

Things have ends, in the sense of uses to which they are designed to be put. These may be called purposes loosely.

Human activities have purposes and also ends. The ends are the goals to which the nature of the activity directs. Purposes are, as above, the reasons people involved in the activities have for engaging in the activities. Ideally the human purposes and the ends of the activities coincide, but they don't always.

And here's the kicker: people also have ends. More precisely, people have an end -- to which the nature of human being directs.

I started this thread so that you could post this inanity, I guess.

You bring up the idea of "the" good life vs. "a" good life then you reduce it to your personal version after all. That makes you no different than Ted Bundy. Is that your point?

How didn't he flourish?

You bring up the idea of "the" good life vs. "a" good life then you reduce it to your personal version after all. That makes you no different than Ted Bundy. Is that your point?
Your homework is to learn the meaning of eudaimonia and to write a 24 word post demonstrating your understanding of the concept.

Back
Top Bottom