• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Good Life

In my younger days I very much liked Bertrand Russell's idea of the good life -- "one inspired by love and guided by knowledge" -- but over time found both love and knowledge problematic. At a later date I would have defined the good life as "the life of the mind." That is, a life devoted to intellectual pursuits. Today I'm very close to thinking that the good life is simply a life without too much pain and with a few simple pleasures.

The good life to me, is one dominated by God's blessing of inner peace.

This is the good life to me too...

I never was truly satisfied with myself and what I had (and had mental health issues) until I let my heart be filled with God's inner peace... Since then, I've generally felt much more satisfied.

We have the purposes we accept or choose....our jobs and missions and causes.

Choose well, the quality of your life is highly dependent upon the quality of your choices of purpose.

You're confusing purpose and mission

An objects purpose is the tasks that it was created to fulfill. Man is not an object but a sentient being and therefore not created to fulfill any task or purpose. He can, however assign himself a goal or goals in life.

An inanimate object does not think, it cannot assign itself a goal. All it can have is a purpose - the tasks its creator sought to be undertaken when creating it.

That's why its up to individuals to find purpose. Without it, life has no meaning and reason for being.

No, people find no purpose

People can determine a goal or mission(s) in their life.

And this can change.

If you assign yourself a goal and you achieve it, then so what?

You're confusing "meaning" and "significance".

No-one's life has "meaning". Some people do things that positively affect dozens, hundreds, millions of others...so you could say their life had significance.

Louis Pasteur springs to mind.

And this can change.

No-one's life has "meaning". Some people do things that positively affect dozens, hundreds, millions of others...so you could say their life had significance.

An individual can believe his own life is meaningful. That means the person believes that what he is doing is worthwhile. Significance as the effect on others is a wholly different matter.

An individual can believe his own life is meaningful. That means the person believes that what he is doing is worthwhile. Significance as the effect on others is a wholly different matter.

An individual can also believe he is Napoleon.

Again you confuse "meaning" with "significance".

What would be an example of a "meaningful life" or indeed a "meaningful death".

There's an expression of a "meaningless death"
Have you heard of this? If so, what do you think it means ?

An individual can also believe he is Napoleon.

Again you confuse "meaning" with "significance".

What would be an example of a "meaningful life" or indeed a "meaningful death".

There's an expression of a "meaningless death"
Have you heard of this? If so, what do you think it means ?

Quit telling people they're confused; it is offensive.

Quit telling people they're confused; it is offensive.

I could just tell you you're wrong and don't know the meaning of words but I thought to explain why you're wrong in the hope it might allow you to understand.

You should quit telling people what to do...some people might find that offensive.

I could just tell you you're wrong and don't know the meaning of words but I thought to explain why you're wrong in the hope it might allow you to understand.

You should quit telling people what to do...some people might find that offensive.

yeah...ignoring you

In my younger days I very much liked Bertrand Russell's idea of the good life -- "one inspired by love and guided by knowledge" -- but over time found both love and knowledge problematic. At a later date I would have defined the good life as "the life of the mind." That is, a life devoted to intellectual pursuits. Today I'm very close to thinking that the good life is simply a life without too much pain and with a few simple pleasures.
What about Socrates? You like to quote him on "the unexamined life." How does your latter-day quietism square with the Socratic ideal?

Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey … More money!

And this can change.

I disagree. Lots of people go about their lives with overarching, singular purpose. Lots don't, as well. Some realize it, others don't.

As for life having meaning...that's a matter of opinion.

I disagree. Lots of people go about their lives with overarching, singular purpose. Lots don't, as well. Some realize it, others don't.

As for life having meaning...that's a matter of opinion.

What, to you, is the difference between a "purpose" and a "goal" or "mission".
With respect to one's life.

What is the difference between "meaning" and "satisfaction" in your mind ?
With respect to one's life

Can you give an example of any human whose life had "purpose" ?

Can you give an example of any human, whose life had "meaning" ?

If you do give examples of one or both of the above, cannot the words "goal" or "significant" be substituted ?

What about Socrates? You like to quote him on "the unexamined life." How does your latter-day quietism square with the Socratic ideal?

Socrates ended up being put to death by his city.

What, to you, is the difference between a "purpose" and a "goal" or "mission".
With respect to one's life.

What is the difference between "meaning" and "satisfaction" in your mind ?
With respect to one's life

Can you give an example of any human whose life had "purpose" ?

Can you give an example of any human, whose life had "meaning" ?

If you do give examples of one or both of the above, cannot the words "goal" or "significant" be substituted ?

Purpose is established as a by product of completing missions and achieving goals. You determine your purpose when choosing missions you accept, and goals you deam worthwhile.

Satisfaction is a feeling, meaning is an opinion.

As for humans whose lives had purpose? Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Robert Maplethorp, myself, Madam Curry, etc. Their lives had meaning, though they might not have seen it as clearly as those around them.

Goal can't be substituted, but significance can. But just saying Martin Luther Kings life was significant...does tell you much, does it? His life was significant, and it had meaning, especially for those he impacted.

The good life for any living thing is the life in which that living thing flourishes as the living thing it is.
Is there an Aristotelian in the house?

Says who ?

Man was not created, therefore he has no purpose.

None.

Why do you think that a person can not find a purpose for their own?

Why do you think that a person can not find a purpose for their own?
You misrepresent his position. He's saying that Man qua Man (=human being) has no innate end. Purposes Man has galore, like your purpose in posting here, or mine, or his.

The good life for any living thing is the life in which that living thing flourishes as the living thing it is.
Is there an Aristotelian in the house?

Yes, I'm an Aristotelian. That was a fair statement of Aristotle's ethics.

Purpose is established as a by product of completing missions and achieving goals. You determine your purpose when choosing missions you accept, and goals you deem worthwhile....

No, "purpose" is original intent

It is not a by-product of anyone's personal goals.

A "purpose" is what an object was intended for when it was built/created

A table is given a purpose, by the carpenter who built it...the table doesn't create its own purpose.

...satisfaction is a feeling, meaning is an opinion....

Satisfaction in not an "option"

It is a feeling or an emotion gained by a human upon the completion of a self appointed goal.

...as for humans whose lives had purpose? Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Robert Maplethorp, myself, Madam Curry, etc. Their lives had meaning...

None of the above's lives had "meaning"

They may have had some significance in human or even scientific history

But can you tell me what "meaning" any human's life has ever had ?

...goal can't be substituted, but significance can. But just saying Martin Luther Kings life was significant...does tell you much, does it? His life was significant, and it had meaning, especially for those he impacted.

Martin Luther's significance is that he sparked the Protestant Reformation.

But can you tell me what meaning his life had ?

So why did you start this thread? Your take on "good" is loaded with much more than your final sentiment here. Ted Bundy could claim the same as you.

Back
Top Bottom