• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Good Guy with Gun facts we're never told.

Yeah .... sure. I covered that. Crimes that were never crimes because they were never reported as crimes. In other words, bullshit! If you actually thwarted an armed robbery, and never reported it, made no effort whatsoever to assist the police in identifying and apprehending the mugger, then it says more about you than it does about the criminal- and none of it good.

"Oh .... it's too much of a hassle for me to try to take a criminal off the streets. I think I'll let him go and find a way to victimize somebody else."

But it isn't too much of a hassle for these people to claim to have been the GGWaG, eh? Even after stopping the crime, never reporting it, and letting the perpetrator go ??!!??

Yeah . . . sure. We believe you.
I believe him. what I don't believe is the gun banners who pretend that crime control is what motivates their idiotic attacks on lawful gun owners and gun ownership

I'm not surprised. I suspect you probably believed Trump, too.
That's the best you can do? do you deny his claim because he isn't a left wing gun banner or do you think it bolsters your weak arguments? It is amazing how many anti gun posters have an almost pavlovian need to invoke Trump into discussions that have nothing to do with an ex-president

There have been a lot of demands from anti-Second Amendment proponents as to "where are all the 'Good Guys' with guns?" when it comes to citizen gun use.

Well let's start off with this little fun Video:

Funny video from back in July 2018; but nonetheless the facts at the time were true.

The CDC still uses this study commissioned by President Obama vie Executive Order in 2013: https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cdc-study-use-firearms-self-defense-important-crime-deterrent

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/firearms/fastfact.html

Funny thing though, the CDC no longer studies this phenomena, as shown in the above CDC link still using that original study as of May 4, 2021.

Now I have posted in prior threads over time examples of "good guys with guns." They typically show up all around the nation in local news, but rarely get national attention.

There is the Texas Church Shooting 11/06/18:

This article published on a blog in 2018 lists several others:

Point being, there are at minimum hundreds of thousands and up to millions of "good guys/gals with guns" who use such weapons in self-defense, defense of others, and defense of property all over this nation every year.

Gun control laws only affect them, not criminals (or abusive governments).

1620796931809.png

That's the best you can do? do you deny his claim because he isn't a left wing gun banner or do you think it bolsters your weak arguments?
No - I deny his claim for the same reason that I deny the claim that there were more than 3-1/2 times as many crimes stopped by GGWaG as there were crimes committed with guns!
Just as the numbers were challenged by the National Institute of Justice that I cited in post #10.

Because it's obviously bullshit!

And I'm sorry you don't like being reminded that you believe in Trump. I promise I'll never do that again. Unless I feel like it.

Yeah .... sure. I covered that. Crimes that were never crimes because they were never reported as crimes. In other words, bullshit!

A crime is still a crime, whether reported at the time or not. Do you actually believe that every crime is reported? Are you actually asserting if it is NOT reported, then it wasn't a crime?

If you actually thwarted an armed robbery, and never reported it, made no effort whatsoever to assist the police in identifying and apprehending the mugger, then it says more about you than it does about the criminal- and none of it good. "Oh .... it's too much of a hassle for me to try to take a criminal off the streets. I think I'll let him go and find a way to victimize somebody else."

Perhaps.

But then again perhaps it is you who fail to consider the realities in dealing with such a situation.

For example, that incident occurred sometime after 9 PM, back in the days when Central Park was considered a "danger zone" by people who lived in NYC.

Nor did I offer it to brag. :rolleyes:

Nope. I was just a young, arrogant soldier; full of piss and vinegar as they used to say. But I also grew up in NYC and knew about the "hassles" of dealing with police.

In a one-on-one situation, trying to locate a police officer while holding onto a felon, and carrying his weapon? Then dealing with the trip to the police station to "file a report?" Then the hassle of eventually appearing in Court as a witness? Not to mention the possibility the perpetrator might accuse me of some crime or harm leading to my liability? (I was not "gentle" when I disarmed him). Much easier to just kick his ass and then go about my own business.

But it isn't too much of a hassle for these people to claim to have been the GGWaG, eh? Even after stopping the crime, never reporting it, and letting the perpetrator go ??!!??

No, it isn't. Not only for the reasons I gave in my own example above. But also for a myriad of other reasons. Not the least of which is people with your mentality who cannot seem to imagine there could possibly be a "good guy with a gun" unless their actions/reactions fall somewhere within your own idea of who does and does not qualify.

Yeah . . . sure. We believe you.

My "anecdote" was meant as one simple example of how and why an incident might not be reported, but still happens. Your personal belief/disbelief is irrelevant. The fact remains that there are all sorts of reasons why a "good guy" might act and yet not report such actions.

My "anecdote" was meant as one simple example of how and why an incident might not be reported, but still happens. Your personal belief/disbelief is irrelevant. The fact remains that there are all sorts of reasons why a "good guy" might act and yet not report such actions.
I certainly found you to be more credible than him. I had a similar situation occur to me while in Hollywood. I was not armed, and the would-be robber was only armed with a knife (as far as I was able to tell). He approached me from behind and demanded my wallet. When I turned around I did so swinging for the voice I had just heard. I connected with his cheek bone. Unfortunately, it did not knock him down, but it did cause him to drop his knife. I was not aware he was holding anything at the time I punched him. He dropped his knife, spun around, and took off running. I did not run after him, I just picked up his knife and kept it.

The next day, however, I ended up seeing my doctor because I had broken two bones in my hand when I punched him. I also never reported the incident to the police. The police in Los Angeles are often more criminal than the criminals. I was just as likely to have been robbed by the LAPD. Nobody calls the LAPD for help, unless they are incredibly stupid and have a death wish.

I laugh at that nonsense for several reasons. The CDC is not qualified to waste tax payer dollars studying something that is not within its expertise...

For once we agree, I laugh at gun lovers who post studies, from the CDC, of x many instances of defensive gun use and y many saved lines.

If we armed every man woman and child in America there would be a lot more defensive shootings.....and a lot more gun deaths
And I assume you would count dead bad guys into your "tragic" category.

Point being, there are at minimum hundreds of thousands and up to millions of "good guys/gals with guns" who use such weapons in self-defense, defense of others, and

Non-lethal weapons have a stealth advantage over guns for night combat.

Screenshot_20220723-235600_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220724-001859_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220724-001921_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
We recently had a school shooting in which hundreds of trained good guys with guns -- policemen and policewomen, in fact -- were present.

'Nuf said.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n un-shot.

Back
Top Bottom