• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The good die young

ricksfolly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
...is an expression most of us have heard, but what does it really mean. The accepted meaning of good is being generous, doing things for others, being charitable, evenhanded, or in other words, completely unselfish, and therein lies the cause for an early death sentence.

Selfishness (ego) is the positive force our glands need to function , both psychological and physical, and when we stop being selfish, for any reason, negativity slowly deteriorates them, and we have no defense against cancer and other deadly deterioration.

Selfishness as the power that turns on a light, and unselfishness turns off the power.

So if you want to live to be a hundred, make sure no unselfish thoughts sneak into your thoughts.

ricksfolly

I always figured it was because they hadn't lived long enough to become "bad" yet.;)

I always figured it was because they hadn't lived long enough to become "bad" yet.;)

LOL... The counter is they hadn't lived long enough to become good?

Seriously, How could one demonstrate unselfishness to find out what kind of effect it has on the glands?

ricksfolly

It's probably a very old expression, from a time many centuries ago when lots and lots of people actually did die young, from accidents or illness, or in childbirth or wars or whatnot.
It's an expression grieving loved ones probably made up to comfort themselves and each other.
Everybody thinks their own loved ones are "good". Especially when they're dead. And especially when they died young.

These days, not too many people die young, though.
And those that do... a lot of times they weren't "good". Not to anybody but their families, anyway.

Selfishness (ego) is the positive force our glands need to function , both psychological and physical, and when we stop being selfish, for any reason, negativity slowly deteriorates them, and we have no defense against cancer and other deadly deterioration.

Selfishness as the power that turns on a light, and unselfishness turns off the power.

Since you didn't like my joke, I guess I should be serious. Jeez.

1. Which "glands" are you referring to, and 2. How does "ego" (selfishness) benefit these glands?

It's a little hard to buy imo. If you are referring to the adrenal glands (considered to be stress response glands), it's stress of any kind that can adversely effect their function. Good stress, bad stress, either one will effect adrenal function, especially with advancing age. Stress hormone levels drop pretty dramatically beginning usually in the early to mid-30's.
Now, as for ego, this seems to be something that needs to be overcome somewhat to ensure some measure of peace of mind. Peace of mind does not result from cessation of self-interest, but it does seem to be facilitated by learning to accept oneself and being satisfied with life in general. That usually seems to generate an attitude of goodwill toward others, but also result in goodwill toward oneself. My own thoughts are that it's not an either-or issue, but an ability to appreciate both.

Well that's because good things do happen to bad people.

I don't really see how living to be 92 could be construed as a "good thing"...

I don't really see how living to be 92 could be construed as a "good thing"...

His life was solid, financially and otherwise, for over 50 years. He was alive and kicking - and employed - to the end. . . sounds good to me. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom