• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The global borders closing is going to be a problem

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
German vegetable prices may rise as coronavirus disrupts crop work - lobby

Germany’s decision to close borders and restrict travel means many thousands of seasonal workers, mainly from east Europe, cannot start planting and harvesting vegetables and fruit, DBV president Joachim Rukwied told the daily Neue Osnabruecker Zeitung on Wednesday.

European Union countries should allow the hundreds of thousands of seasonal migrant workers who plant or harvest crops to cross borders despite national measures to contain the coronavirus, the EU Commission said on Monday.

Countries across the EU have set up border controls to stem the virus outbreak, which have also resulted in delayed food and medical supplies.

German vegetable prices may rise as coronavirus disrupts crop work - lobby - Reuters

There is a typical so-called journalist failure in the headline, as factually "may" is actually "will".

German vegetable prices may rise as coronavirus disrupts crop work - lobby

German vegetable prices may rise as coronavirus disrupts crop work - lobby - Reuters

There is a typical so-called journalist failure in the headline, as factually "may" is actually "will".

I think the journalistic standard is to say "may" instead of "will" because the future (will) cannot literally be predicted and the headline is not quoting someone but are all the words of the journalist/editor/news writer. However likely that future may be.

I think the journalistic standard is to say "may" instead of "will" because the future (will) cannot literally be predicted and the headline is not quoting someone but are all the words of the journalist/editor/news writer. However likely that future may be.

The so-called journalist standard is to say may so that they can say anything they want, because until it happens or until there is some proof otherwise they cant be called out as wrong....and with as short as attention spans are now....

In this case the word was used almost certainly to soften the blow, although it allows people to believe if they want "Well then, it may not" which is misleading the reader, which a real journalist would not do.

We are in a pandemic....food prices are going up....that is how this works.

The so-called journalist standard is to say may so that they can say anything they want, because until it happens or until there is some proof otherwise they cant be called out as wrong....and with as short as attention spans are now....

In this case the word was used almost certainly to soften the blow, although it allows people to believe if they want "Well then, it may not" which is misleading the reader, which a real journalist would not do.

It will be interesting to see how many Americans will want to work for the sort of wages foreign workers accept, once they have all gone. That's what will push prices up; greed.

There's going to be millions out of work anyway, I'm not the sure the labour shortage will be as bad as predicted.

It will be interesting to see how many Americans will want to work for the sort of wages foreign workers accept, once they have all gone. That's what will push prices up; greed.

Especially with the feds currently passing around $2 trillion and begging us to stay inside because the medical system is crap and the medical workers might just stop showing up since we could not be bothered to make an attempt to have PPE for them over the last few decades....this is not what they signed up for.

And these are largely people who have been brought up in victim culture, by betters who have constantly resorted to fear up messaging so of course they are full of fear..... they are going to risk their lives for low wages...and work?

I think not.

Last edited:

Well, I think what the US faces in the coming 10 years as spill over from COVID-19 is this:

- A major refocus on automation for low skill labor that used to be off-shored for labor costs.

- A dramatic turn around in the acceptance of teleworking nationally. This will have a major de-stressing effect on the national infrastructure.

My job was, until a few weeks ago, an impossible job to do via teleworking.. or so the brass said. Now here I am commuting from my bed to my home office every morning.

Last edited:
Well, I think what the US faces in the coming 10 years as spill over from COVID-19 is this:

- A major refocus on automation for low skill labor that used to be off-shored for labor costs.

- A dramatic turn around in the acceptance of teleworking nationally. This will have a major de-stressing effect on the national infrastructure.

My job was, until a few weeks ago, an impossible job to do via teleworking.. or so the brass said. Now here I am commuting from my bed to my office every morning.

That does not explain how we are going to get groceries into the stores this fall.....your post really does not fit in this thread.....this is about the closing of the borders....and what that is causing and will cause.

My job was, until a few weeks ago, an impossible job to do via teleworking.. or so the brass said. Now here I am commuting from my bed to my office every morning.

I'll add to your predictions mine, that distance education will finally achieve the acceptance and respect that it has been denied since the late '90's. As colleges and universities told their students not to come back from spring break, profs were scrambling to set up their courses, and this remains extremely tough for those unfamiliar with the online learning environment.

The good news is that they didn't have to begin at the beginning as I did back in the day because most schools do use a platform/delivery system at least for recording grades (generally D2L--Desire to Learn). So almost everybody has a very rudimentary understanding. But it's very tough for many as I type, and it's not just mastering the technical elements; it's the understanding in your own head of how it all works. Trials by fire are definitely ongoing.

I'll add to your predictions mine, that distance education will finally achieve the acceptance and respect that it has been denied since the late '90's. As colleges and universities told their students not to come back from spring break, profs were scrambling to set up their courses, and this remains extremely tough for those unfamiliar with the online learning environment.

The good news is that they didn't have to begin at the beginning as I did back in the day because most schools do use a platform/delivery system at least for recording grades (generally D2L--Desire to Learn). So almost everybody has a very rudimentary understanding. But it's very tough for many as I type, and it's not just mastering the technical elements; it's the understanding in your own head of how it all works. Trials by fire are definitely ongoing.

This is where you are:

"Thread:The global borders closing is going to be a problem"

Shutting down commerce cannot help any worldwide businesses and cash flow.

Makes things unstable.....and this global economy was very unstable Dec 2019, and has been getting increasing unstable for many many years.

I smell Depression.

Makes things unstable.....and this global economy was very unstable Dec 2019, and has been getting increasing unstable for many many years.

I smell Depression.

The Bible predicts a worldwide political upheaval in the last days resulting in broad economic, social and political changes worldwide.

The Bible predicts a worldwide political upheaval in the last days resulting in broad economic, social and political changes worldwide.

And swarms of locusts....isnt that in there too.....and they have been very bad of late....

That does not explain how we are going to get groceries into the stores this fall.....your post really does not fit in this thread.....this is about the closing of the borders....and what that is causing and will cause.

I was responding to snakestretcher.

And no, your own OP makes the thread about journalistic standards in reporting the future... unless you want to claim that you derailed your own thread in the OP! ;)

This is where you are:

"Thread:The global borders closing is going to be a problem"

I was responding to what jmotivator said about working from his bed.

How can a poster say that a prediction is either factual or non-factual?

A prediction is by definition not factual. It's a prediction.

Some people dont know enough to know, so they predict or guess.

Others may well know enough to know.

Wisdom is a real thing.

Some people dont know enough to know, so they predict or guess.

Others may well know enough to know.

Wisdom is a real thing.

So you are saying that a prediction is reality?

Does that mean the Minnesota Vikings actually won the 1970 Super Bowl?

A prediction is a prediction. Reality is reality. They are not the same thing.

I'm just pointing-out journalist reasoning for using the word "may" instead of "will". "Will" can only be an opinion, though based on overwhelming evidence. "May" is mere nebulous possibility, however assured or not.

Interesting question in the OP. So let's also include the US, as we speak the administration is considering (it will happen) stopping flights and rail travel from hot areas to/from other States. Will this year apart the Nation, I doubt it but as the virus spreads it could easily come to travel restrictions on all State to State travel being banned for a period of time. Been an interesting year from the perspective of history, and looks to continue for the foreseeable future.

Interesting question in the OP. So let's also include the US, as we speak the administration is considering (it will happen) stopping flights and rail travel from hot areas to/from other States. Will this year apart the Nation, I doubt it but as the virus spreads it could easily come to travel restrictions on all State to State travel being banned for a period of time. Been an interesting year from the perspective of history, and looks to continue for the foreseeable future.

"May you live in interesting times".

And Thanks.

:2wave:

Back
Top Bottom