• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Gender Wage Gap Lie

As long as it's not exclusively, or predominantly culture, then he's wrong and my case is made.

As to whether I've thought about all the things I may be interested in that I wasn't immediately exposed to in my youth, of course. I think most humans as they get older, in our very free society, explore as much of what life has to offer as they can to see what sticks and what they were missing out on, etc. I had a mother and two sisters, I didn't find nails and foofoo stuff interesting at all. Except the magazines that sometimes had European ads with topless models. It was like finding hidden treasure. I swear one was a Nivea ad and she had these perfect yet amazingly large, gravity defying....

Mach, you should be aware of just how intense cultural learning is. Society influencing someones choice of hobbies is trivial compared to say, making the majority of the world populace believe in completely intangible deities. Most people can easily be convinced to kill and die in the name of god they can't see hear, see or touch. Culture can override basic survival instincts with completely abstract concepts, stuff like gender roles in minor in comparison.

He goes as far as to argue that there's a golden "10,000-Hour Rule," meaning that he believes the key to greatness/success in any field requires enormous 10^3 hours of invested time - natural ability or talent being almost irrelevant.

Shameful. 99% perspiration 1%inspiration wasn't good enough!?! :) Practice makes perfect? Learn by doing? So many clues ;0
I do think a lot of people get it, just not most people. Why we don't hold more accountable to it though...

Well, I doubt you (and I) were THAT exploratory to try out things that were entirely female-oriented.
OK, they painted my nails once.

How would looking up at the stars and wondering be evolutionary beneficial? It wouldn't.
Curiosity has demonstrable advantages (and disadvantaged) in a species. A number of other species other than humans exhibit varying levels of it.

Wouldn't creating foods (having innate understanding of chemical processes etc.) then be the domain of MEN?
Most Chefs are male.

Curiosity has demonstrable advantages (and disadvantaged) in a species. A number of other species other than humans exhibit varying levels of it.
Curiosity, but wouldn't selective curiosity be more advantageous than others? For instance, being curious about farming is more evolutionary advantageous than being curious about astronomy. So I think it's hard to argue that one is innately, more interested in astronomy.

Most Chefs are male.
Citation? My sister's experience in Culinary school strongly disagrees. Plus, if making things is "male" shouldn't cooking in general be the domain of men? Surely you agree that social norms are towards females doing this.

Back
Top Bottom