• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Gaza Conundrum

Tashah

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Well over a year ago, the government of Israel announced that it had decided on a unilateral and total withdrawal of all Israeli settlements and military forces from Gaza. This withdrawal would commence and be fully realized in August of 2005.

On principle, Israel had in the past disdained any negotiations with a Palestinian Authority dominated and controlled by Abu Arafat. From the Israeli perspective then, the death of Arafat altered the equation and environment dramatically.

On its own initiative and bypassing numerous rounds of long and tedious negotiation with the Palestine Authority and outside interests, Israel took a major step towards the establishment of an independent and sovereign Palestine. In the interim, many positive events have transpired...

Elections in Palestine which were (for the first time ever) open, transparent, and quite democratic. Since February of 2005, the Palestinian/Israeli pro-forma cycle of bloody revenge and deadly retribution has been muted dramatically. All in all things have been proceeding rather well. That is, until about two weeks ago.

It is now mid-July of 2005 and Israeli withdrawal from Gaza is scheduled to begin in a few weeks. Two weeks ago, rocket and mortar rounds fired from Gaza began falling on Israeli settlements within Gaza and also on towns within Israel proper. This crescendo of unprovoked attack has steadily increased in volume and Israeli civilian deaths and casualties are mounting.

Israel has demanded that Abu Abbas take whatever steps are necessary to end these attacks so that the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza can commence on schedule and in a peaceful environment. Abbas promises to do the best that he can... but with the caveat that he cannot provide any guarantees.

As I write this, Israeli forces and armored columns are massing on the Gaza border: Israel gears up for possible Gaza offensive

If Abbas cannot terminate the rocket attacks on Israel from Gaza, then Israel will be forced to do so militarily. Abbas claims that for all intents and purposes, any such action would certainly scuttle the August withdrawal and perhaps the entire peace process. In concert with this current situation, Sharon has also had to deal with internal elements within Israel which seek to scuttle the Gaza withdrawal Israeli protesters marching to Gaza

Be advised that as an Israeli, I can only honestly comment on these items from an Israeli perspective. I agree with the unilateral decision by Sharon to withdraw from Gaza for three principal reasons:

1• Palestine should indeed be an independent and sovereign nation.
2• A bold initiative was required to propel the peace-process forward.
3• A truism the United States is discovering but that Israel has long been aware of... the occupation of another territory exacts an ever-increasing toll on the military and social fabric of the occupying power.

This may be a bit difficult to grasp, but certain factions within Palestine such as Hamas and Hizb'allah do not wish to see Israel withdraw from Gaza for many reasons. In their eyes this would be tantamount to an admission that Israel is indeed a sovereign nation. It would also put the onus on the Palestinians themselves to govern Gaza responsibly... as they would no longer have Israel to blame for their many shortcomings. The rocket and mortar attacks also serve as a cosmetic propaganda device which is to paint the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza as a forced outcome rather than a voluntary act. I tend to believe that Abbas is somewhat genuine in his plea that the PA cannot currently guarantee a peaceful environment. The problem here is that this is exactly what is expected of sovereign governments.

With what is currently at stake here, I am simply astounded by a general lack of global concern and media scrutiny! We are perhaps only hours away from peace-process disaster. Rocket and mortar rounds keep falling. Israeli armored columns are in place and ready to roll. Nary a peep from the vaunted United Nations. Nothing but silence from Washington. All is quiet on the EU front. Even the politically astute membership here at Debate Politics seem oblivious to the immediate situation and the manifest consequences.

The Gaza Conundrum. Precious time is quickly slipping away. This concerns everyone who desires and advances the cause of peace in the Middle East. It goes without saying that what may soon transpire will have profound consequences and immensely impact each spectrum of the equation. I encourage all to comment on this and offer your personal observations and practical solutions.

I hope Israel has a plan to Re-occupy the Gaza and west bank. This time to do it right expel every Arab there ,no refugee camps. Just drive them into the countries they realy belong to. Do not listen to the world do what must be done !
The Odds on this working stink.So Israel must be ready to do what she must.

Tashah said:
With what is currently at stake here, I am simply astounded by a general lack of global concern and media scrutiny! We are perhaps only hours away from peace-process disaster. Rocket and mortar rounds keep falling. Israeli armored columns are in place and ready to roll. Nary a peep from the vaunted United Nations. Nothing but silence from Washington. All is quiet on the EU front. Even the politically astute membership here at Debate Politics seem oblivious to the immediate situation and the manifest consequences.

The world is in a "wait-and-see" mode...There have been an abundance of "peace processes" that have led nowhere in the last few decades.

The silence you hear is actually a very loud voice proclaiming, "I'll believe it when I see it".

Back
Top Bottom