• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The French protest climate policies

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It sure looks like there are a lot of unhappy people in France over the new taxes from the climate policy.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46411699
€1.51 per liter, is roughly $6.45 per gallon.
That is an increase of about $1.25 per gallon in the last 12 months, I can see why they are unhappy.

Has nothing to do with the protests. It is just a convenient trigger or excuse. If it was a real protest then the hauling industry unions would be out in force blocking streets and so on.. they are not.

There oughta be a law.

Has nothing to do with the protests. It is just a convenient trigger or excuse. If it was a real protest then the hauling industry unions would be out in force blocking streets and so on.. they are not.
Sure Pete, this isn't a real protest.

france-tear-gas-rising-fuel-tax.jpg

What other lie would you like folks to believe?

Sure Pete, this isn't a real protest.

france-tear-gas-rising-fuel-tax.jpg

What other lie would you like folks to believe?

Where did I say it was not a protest? I said that the tax had very little to do with the protest and was at best a trigger...

Really, PeterEU? So are the French yellow jacket protesters just being fashionable and lying about what they are protesting about?

Where did I say it was not a protest? I said that the tax had very little to do with the protest and was at best a trigger...

Really, PeterEU? So are the French yellow jacket protesters just being fashionable and lying about what they are protesting about?
:dito:​

Fashionable... dunno ask the world class designers in Paris.. as for lying about what they are protesting about.. yep. Why I say that? Because I would wager that most of those protesters dont even have cars and are not effected by the tax. Now if it had been truckers doing the protesting then it would be another matter, but to me the protesters look more like anarchist groups than anything else.

Gas prices in France are not out of the ordinary when compared to the rest of Europe.. so there is more behind this.

Of course that does not stop the far right American types jumping on the bandwagon and promoting their crazy anti-climate change bs and all that. Just as Steve Banon and his cohorts wants to happen in Europe.

If the fuel price taxes have nothing to do with the riots, then why is Macron now suspending the fuel price hike?

If the fuel price taxes have nothing to do with the riots, then why is Macron now suspending the fuel price hike?

To be honest.... he is playing them. If they dont back down, then we know that the protests and violence had nothing to do with the tax hike.

That or he is a whimp and yet again a French president/government bends to the mob.

Fashionable... dunno ask the world class designers in Paris.. as for lying about what they are protesting about.. yep. Why I say that? Because I would wager that most of those protesters dont even have cars and are not effected by the tax. Now if it had been truckers doing the protesting then it would be another matter, but to me the protesters look more like anarchist groups than anything else.

Gas prices in France are not out of the ordinary when compared to the rest of Europe.. so there is more behind this.

Of course that does not stop the far right American types jumping on the bandwagon and promoting their crazy anti-climate change bs and all that. Just as Steve Banon and his cohorts wants to happen in Europe.

Well, from what I am given to understand, it affects many commuters who use diesel-fueled cars to get to and from work to home. I have no doubt when there are this many protesters, there will be some who are simply using these fuel taxes as a pretext to run riot, if even needing a pretext at all. But I am hesitant to question the sincerity of all the protesters present. In the United States, people on the left decry right-wing protesters as being "astro-turfed" and bought and paid for by conservative monied interests such as the Koch brothers. People on the right decry left-wing protesters as being similarly astro-turfed and funded by progressive monied interests like George Soros and Media Matters. While I have no doubt that this may be true to some degree, from my limited experience, people generally do not take to the streets holding up placards and facing down police for causes that they do not sincerely believe in. And I think it is wrong to use some of the protesters being insincere in their motivations as grounds to claim that all of the protesters must be equally insincere.

Last edited:
To be honest.... he is playing them. If they dont back down, then we know that the protests and violence had nothing to do with the tax hike.

That or he is a whimp and yet again a French president/government bends to the mob.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Everybody except a few knuckledraggers are so on board with radically tranforming the world econpmy to combat global warming.

LAFFFFF

Us normals are being proved right!

All the liberal phonies LERRRRRRRRRRRve to *talk* about saving the planet until they actually get socked in the wallet or have to tuen their AC down by one degree.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[h=1]President Macron’s Climate Change Fuel Tax Riots Continue in Paris[/h][FONT=&quot]Guest essay by Eric Worrall Over 100 people injured this weekend, including 17 police. Hundreds of arrests in Paris as ‘gilets jaunes’ protest turns violent At least 100 people injured in street battles, with cars being torched and shops raided Angelique Chrisafis in Paris Sun 2 Dec 2018 07.56 AEDT First published on Sun 2…
[/FONT]

2 days ago December 2, 2018 in Climate ugliness.

Greetings, Jack. :2wave:

IIRC, I read a few days ago that this is equal to $9.00/gallon for fuel in US dollars, and they want to add another tax? :eek: ... :thumbdown

Greetings, Polgara.:2wave:

They're backing down.

[FONT=&quot]Politics[/FONT]
[h=1]French Government Backs Down on “Climate Change” Fuel Taxes[/h][FONT=&quot]Guest essay by Eric Worrall h/t Dr. Willie Soon – President Macron’s government has retreated from imposing climate change fuel taxes, caved in to pressure from the yellow jacket movement. But the protestors are already suggesting that the government backdown might not be enough. French PM announces suspension of fuel tax hikes after ‘Yellow Vest’…
[/FONT]

Greetings, Polgara.:2wave:

They're backing down.

[FONT="][URL="https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/04/french-government-backs-down-on-climate-change-fuel-taxes/"]
Macron-Burning-Flag-220x126.jpg
[/URL]Politics[/FONT]

[h=1]French Government Backs Down on “Climate Change” Fuel Taxes[/h][FONT="]Guest essay by Eric Worrall h/t Dr. Willie Soon – President Macron’s government has retreated from imposing climate change fuel taxes, caved in to pressure from the yellow jacket movement. But the protestors are already suggesting that the government backdown might not be enough. French PM announces suspension of fuel tax hikes after ‘Yellow Vest’…
[/FONT]

A 6 month delay is not backing down, it is a strategic delay, macron has not changed a thing about the direction he is headed:

https://www.dw.com/en/france-suspends-fuel-tax-hike-for-6-months-to-quell-protests/a-46570630

https://www.dw.com/en/frances-emmanuel-macron-finds-respite-amid-mass-protests/a-46579998

They know now they can push him around. They will do it again.

This is almost exactly the same as "OK, you dont need to clean your room today like I told you, but you are going to do it tomorrow".

This is time to adjust to the new reality, nothing more so far.

[h=1]Technocrate, Moi?[/h]Posted on 04 Dec 18 by GEOFF CHAMBERS 9 Comments
My reasons for bringing up the current political unrest in France on this blog in articles here and here are simple: the tectonic plates of public opinion on climate change move slowly but inexorably. Identifying where the big quake will happen is of key importance. It might be in Australia or California or Germany. Suddenly, … Continue re

It sure looks like there are a lot of unhappy people in France over the new taxes from the climate policy.
That is an increase of about $1.25 per gallon in the last 12 months, I can see why they are unhappy.

The French can thank the Paris Climate Accord for this. France is now trying to meet PCA goals by taxing the poor through gasoline. Only the rich deserve freedom of movement, I guess.

But... but... but...

Climate change policies are suppose to help, not hurt...

I will respectfully disagree, but state that with almost any protest these days, comes the unruly element that should be thrown in jail, if not shot on sight.

[h=1]Technocrate, Moi?[/h]Posted on 04 Dec 18 by GEOFF CHAMBERS 9 Comments
My reasons for bringing up the current political unrest in France on this blog in articles here and here are simple: the tectonic plates of public opinion on climate change move slowly but inexorably. Identifying where the big quake will happen is of key importance. It might be in Australia or California or Germany. Suddenly, … Continue re

Greetings, Jack. :2wave:

This article was one of the most humorous - and well-written - posts I have read recently! :cool: While it did explain what's been going on with the people in France being expected to pay additional new taxes on fuel - which we have been reading about for days so the story wasn't exactly new.... the writer used humor instead to explain what the problem was! As of right now, it appears that the everyday citizens of France, have said NO to any additional new taxes, and the elite have backed down for now! :thumbs:

La France en Colere!! :lamo

Back
Top Bottom