• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Fourth of July and Cuban Women

“MI Tierra” outstanding beautiful lyrics reach everybody, everywhere, around the world that live away from their countries. Gloria Estefan album “Mi Tierra” has appealed to people of all nationalities.

Comments from people of some nationalities:

Yuniel Sanchez Gonzalez: Hermosa canciòn dedicada a mi Cuba! Este disco es genial, brava Gloria!

Martine Gentine: J'aime beaucoup ces musiques sensuels !!!!!

Franco Pensiero: La più bella canzone di nostalgia delle proprie origini al pari dell'Aida

FlitzenderPuff: Never forget your homeland... you have only one home.

JAZZLOVE0111ify: 何回もグロリアの曲を聞いていたら、嬉しくなり、元気になります。英語もスペイン語も分りたい 気持ちになり ます。グロリアありがとう!!(Many times when I heard the song of Gloria, I become happy and I will be fine. You want to understand the feeling in English and also in Spanish. Thank you Gloria!!)

In an interview with the Washington Post on November 29, 2017, Gloria said, "If I could only leave one album behind, it would be 'Mi Tierra' "

Gloria Estefan - Mi Tierra - Pavarotti & Friends

YouTube

Gloria Estefan - Mi Tierra (from Live and Unwrapped)

My Homeland lyrics

From my beautiful land, from my holy land
I hear that cry of the drums
and the timbales when cumbanchando
and that cry that a brother sings
that lives far away from his land
and that the memory makes him cry
a song that lives singing
of his pain from his own crying
and he is heard to grieve.
The land hurts you, the land gives you
in the middle of the soul, when you are not there
The land pushes you from the root and lime
The land sigh, if it does not see you anymore...
The land where you were born
you can forget it, because it has your roots
and what you leave behind.

Continuum the crys, the melancholy
and every night next to the moon
continues the peasant singing the son.
and every street that goes to my town
he has a moan, has a lament
He has nostalgia as his voice.
and that song that keeps on intoning
runs in the blood and keeps coming
with more strength to the heart ...
He has a moan ... my land
have a lament ... my land
I never forget it ... my land
I carry it in my feeling, yes sir
I hear that scream ... my land
live the memory ... my land
runs in my blood ... my land
I carry it inside of course

On Your Feet!’ Off to Strong Start at Broadway Box Office
'On Your Feet!' Off to Strong Start at Broadway Box Office - The New York Times

By Michael Paulson
October 13, 2015

13ONYOURFEET-tmagArticle.jpg

Ana Villafañe, left, as Gloria Estefan and Josh Segarra as Emilio Estefan in the musical "On Your Feet" at the Marquis Theater.Credit Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

“On Your Feet!,” a jukebox musical about Gloria and Emilio Estefan, barrelled onto Broadway last week, grossing $970,013 in its first seven preview performances and suggesting that the show might be the first new hit since “Hamilton.”

The musical, which tracks the couple’s journey from Cuba to the U.S. and from anonymity to stardom, was the eighth most popular show, out of 31 now running, by audience size, and had an average ticket price of $96.54, according to figures released Tuesday by the Broadway League. The show, which had a pre-Broadway run in Chicago, began previews on Oct. 5 and has scheduled an official opening on Nov. 5.
Click link above for full article.
The song “Get on Your Feet” was released as a single by Gloria in 1989, and in 1990 in the album “Cuts Both Ways”.

Now boys and girls get on your feet!
Gloria Estefan - Get On Your Feet

Judge Barbara Lagoa Biography
Third District Court of Appeal

lagoa-barbara-jad-Article-201708161942.jpg

Barbara Lagoa was born in Miami, Florida in 1967. She received her B.A. cum laude in 1989 from Florida International University where she majored in English and was a member of the Phi Kappa Phi honor society. Judge Lagoa received her Juris Doctor from Columbia University in 1992, where she served as an Associate Editor of the Columbia Law Review. Judge Lagoa is fluent in English and Spanish.

The first Cuban American woman to serve on the Court, Judge Lagoa was appointed by Governor Jeb Bush in June, 2006 to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge David Levy. While a practicing lawyer, she was admitted to practice by the Florida Bar, the United States District Courts for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. She was also a member of many local, state, and national professional groups including the Dade County and American Bar Associations.
Click link above for access to judges biographies and then click on Biography of Judge Barbara Lagoa.
Barbara Lagoa, a Cuban American lawyer, is a well-qualified judge that is committed to the rule of law, to enforce the law as written and not legislate from the bench. She has an outstanding record as a jurist. Her parents fled Cuba over five decades ago and resettled as exiles in Miami where she was born. They instilled in her an appreciation of the priceless freedoms that all American enjoy.

Gloria was rank no. 70 among the top 100 best-selling artists of all time. She is one of the most successful Latin artists in the world, with sales of 115 million records worldwide.

I'm not into old women. I prefer Camila Cabello.

Gov. DeSantis Names Miami-Born Justice To State’s Supreme Court
Gov. DeSantis Names Miami-Born Justice To State’s Supreme Court – CBS Miami

January 9, 2019 at 12:00 pm

MIAMI (CBSMiami/NSF) – Fresh off his inauguration day, Governor Ron DeSantis announced his first appointment to the state’s Supreme Court at Miami’s Freedom Tower.

“Today it is my honor and privilege to announce that I’m going to appoint Judge Barbara Lagoa to the Florida Supreme Court,” said DeSantis.
Watch The Governor’s Announcement In The Video Below
YouTube

DeSantis made s great choice in appointing judge Lagoa to the Florida Supreme Court. DeSantis made the announcement at the Freedom Tower, where Cubans exiles arriving in Miami were processed. Lagoa is committed to the rule of law, she said: “Unlike the country my parents fled, we are a nation of laws, not of men.” In Cuba, the rule of law does not prevail, since the regime authorities are the leading violators of legality and enjoy total impunity.

I'm not into old women. I prefer Camila Cabello.

Here are some young women dancing to Miami Sound Machine ‘Conga’ (some of them very young). I am sure you will like it.
Gloria Estefan - "CONGA" I Choreography by @NikaKljun (Nika is the blond first dancer)

The Freedom Tower was built in 1925 and use by The Miami News newspaper until the mid-50s. In the sixties the U.S. government took over the tower to process and provide medical services to thousands of Cubans exiles, and was name the Freedom Tower. It was closed down in the mid-70s and sold it.

Freedom_Tower%2C_Miami%2C_Southeast_view_20160709_1.jpg

Freedom Tower- BY DXR - Own work

The Freedom Tower was built in 1925 and use by The Miami News newspaper until the mid-50s. In the sixties the U.S. government took over the tower to process and provide medical services to thousands of Cubans exiles, and was name the Freedom Tower. It was closed down in the mid-70s and sold it.

23159679676_4e9b238ed3_k.jpg

Serena M. Auñón-Chancellor (M.D.) NASA Astronaut
https://www.nasacal .gov/astronauts/biographies/serena-m-aunon-chancellor/biography

Summary:

Dr. Serena M. Auñón-Chancellor began working with NASA as a Flight Surgeon in 2006. In 2009, she was selected as a NASA astronaut. During her NASA career, Dr. Auñón-Chancellor spent more than nine months in Russia supporting medical operations for International Space Station crew members in Star City. She also served as Deputy Crew Surgeon for STS-127 and is board certified in both Internal and Aerospace Medicine. She is currently a part of the Expedition 56/57 crew that launched to the International Space Station in June 2018.

aunon_serena_m.jpg

Serena Auñón-Chancellor is a Cuban-American physician, engineer, and NASA astronaut that was in space for a six-month mission from June 6, 2018 to December 20, 2018, serving as a flight engineer to the International Space Station. She was born in Indianapolis, daughter of Dr. Jorge Auñón, a Cuban exile who arrived in the United States in 1960, and an American mother that write mystery novels, contributing with her knowledge and courage to the success of one of the most worthy projects of her country of origin: the conquest of space. She joins a long list of women of Cuban descent or nationality who, over more than two hundred years, have made contributions as diverse as they are substantial to the flourishing of the United States. She is married to physicist Dr. Jeff Chancellor, and has a step-daughter named Serafina Chancellor. They currently live in League City, Texas.

Aunon.png

Last edited:
When she was asked about her favorite dish, she mention Cuban meals like shredded beef, seasoned ground beef and black beans “with which I grew up, and which my family and I still cook.”

41615971752_54ec9d04be_o.jpg

In a recent interview she said, “The biggest lesson my father taught me was to work hard, nothing replaces hard work and dedication.”

Astronaut Serena Auñón-Chancellor in her own words

It is so important what she is doing in cancer research. Serena is an outstanding woman. It is incredible the too many hats she can weare. I take my hat off to her, no pun intended.

These students flip over their video chat with the first Cuban-American in space

BY COLLEEN WRIGHT
cawright@miamiherald.com
December 10, 2018
Access Denied

Like counting down to a rocket launch, all eyes were on the enlarged screen above, waiting for confirmation from Mission Control Houston.

But these weren’t rocket scientists. They were elementary school kids, sitting on gymnastics mats in socks, awaiting their video chat to connect to outer space.

“Hello Mandelstam School, this is the International Space Station. Welcome!”

Cheers erupted. After months of planning, there was a successful connection with Dr. Serena Auñon-Chancellor, the first Cuban-American in space, available to talk about life aboard the ISS and awe her audience with zero-gravity tricks.

The Mandelstam School, a South Miami private gymnastics school formerly part of the Gulliver Schools network, spent months putting together a lengthy application to win 20 minutes of video chat time with an astronaut through NASA’s Downlink program based at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

Serena talking to the students and answering their questions from the Space Station is one in a life time experience for the students.

Serena twitter:

S. Auñón-Chancellor‏Verified account @AstroSerena Nov 29
S. Aunon-Chancellor (@AstroSerena) | Twitter

I had a great time chatting with the students at @TAMU today! Good luck to all with finals and thank you for your time and great questions! #AgsAskAnAstronaut (#AgsAskAnAstronaut hashtag on Twitter)
#AstroAppearances (#AstroAppearances hashtag on Twitter)

DtM1zz0XgAAQlJQ.jpg

Intl. Space Station, Texas A&M University, TAMU Education & Human Development and 3 others.
Dr. Serena Auñon-Chancellor, the first Cuban American astronaut, talk to school children from the International Space Station, answered their questions. An excellent learning experience for the children.

Soyuz crew returns to Earth after memorable 6 months in space
Soyuz crew returns to Earth after memorable 6 months in space - SpaceNews.com

by Hanneke Weitering — December 20, 2018

Expedition-57-Soyuz-MS-09-Landing-NHQ201812200008-879x485.jpg

NASA astronaut Serena Auñón-Chancellor is helped out of the Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft just minutes after she, ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst and Roscosmos cosmonaut Sergey Prokopyev landed Dec. 20 in a remote area near the town of Zhezkazgan, Kazakhstan (Credit: NASA/Bill Ingalls)

Three space station crewmembers returned to Earth Dec. 20 after a remarkably eventful stay aboard the orbiting laboratory.

NASA astronaut Serena Auñón-Chancellor, German astronaut Alexander Gerst of the European Space Agency and Russian cosmonaut Sergey Prokopyev safely touched down on the snowy steppe of Kazakhstan at 12:02 a.m. EST (0502 GMT), one minute ahead of schedule. The trio spent a total of 197 days in space working as part of Expeditions 56 and 57.

“The Soyuz MS-09 stuck the landing on the eve of the 50th anniversary of humankind’s first voyage to the moon,” NASA TV commentator Rob Navias said during a live webcast of the landing, referring to the Apollo 8 mission that launched on Dec. 21, 1968.

The astronauts returned to Earth in the same Soyuz crew capsule that brought them to the International Space Station (ISS) in June — and the same spacecraft that sprang a mysterious air leak almost halfway into the crew’s mission. After finding and sealing the air leak, the crew may have dealt with enough unexpected drama for one mission. But just six weeks later, a harrowing aborted launch of two of their intended Expedition 57 crewmates threw them for a loop.
Serena was asked what she was looking forward to the most, she said “that's easy. Family. That's what you miss the most up here.”

122018-serena.jpg

Astronaut Serena Auñón-Chancellor makes a satellite phone call home shortly after landing on the steppe of Kazakhstan early Thursday, closing out a 197-day stay in space.

NASA Astronaut Serena Auñón-Chancellor Announced as Keynote Speaker at ISS R&D Conferenc
29th May 2019 Brian Clark News

serena-research-onstation.jpg

MEDIA CREDIT: Image courtesy of NASA

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER (FL), May 28, 2019 – The International Space Station (ISS) Research and Development Conference announced today that NASA astronaut Serena Auñón-Chancellor, M.D., will be a keynote speaker at its 8th annual meeting, July 29 to August 1, 2019 in Atlanta, Georgia. The ISS Research and Development Conference connects commercial companies, academic institutions, and government agencies in order to foster new innovations, breakthroughs, and discoveries onboard humankind’s unique orbiting laboratory. This event is held in coordination with the ISS National Lab, the American Astronautical Society, and NASA.

A medical doctor by training, Auñón-Chancellor recently returned to Earth after spending more than seven months onboard the ISS. During her time on the orbiting laboratory, Auñón-Chancellor and the other crew members conducted hundreds of science experiments that leveraged the space environment to both advance space exploration endeavors and benefit life on Earth. While onboard the station, Auñón-Chancellor provided in-depth overviews of many of the investigations she worked on, educating the public on how microgravity enables scientific inquiry not possible on the ground. Some of the projects highlighted in her videos include an investigation from biotech company Angiex evaluating a novel cancer therapeutic and Parkinson’s disease research from The Michael J. Fox Foundation, both sponsored by the ISS National Lab. Additionally, Auñón-Chancellor was part of the team that installed the new Life Sciences Glovebox, a fully enclosed facility with acrylic windows and glove ports that enables crew members to conduct experiments on the space station in a sealed environment.
What a talented woman. A Doctor of Medicine, a flight surgeon, Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering, an astronaut conducting science experiments and research during six month in the space station. Two thumbs up! Thanks for your excellent work.

Sabrina González Pasterski
Sabrina Gonzalez Pasterski - Wikipedia

Highlights:

Sabrina was born in Chicago on June 3, 1993. She is a Cuban-Polish-American (her mother is Cuban and her father is Polish) that took her first flying lesson in 2003, aged 10 and started building a kit aircraft by 2006, and in 2009 flew her own plane. Her father, who is an attorney, an electrical engineer and a pilot, encouraged her to follow her dreams. She graduated from MIT in 2013 at the top of her physics class and a graduate student at Harvard University.

She has received job offers from Blue Origen, an aerospace company founded by Jeff Bezos, and the NASA. She is currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree in high energy physics.

Sabrina efforts to promote science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education for girls in Cuba has been recognized by the Annenberg Foundation. She is among Genius: 100 Visions of the Future Contributors and called "the next Einstein" by her Harvard mentors.

220px-Sabrina_Gonzalez_Pasterski_2014.jpg
This beautiful Cuban-Polish-American genius will help to change the world for the better. Her work in high-energy physics theory was cited by Stephen Hawking in 2016. She is a great inspiration.

Meet Sabrina Gonzalez Pasterski aka "The New Einstein": Daily Planet

Sabrina find that label uncomfortable. She has wrote: “I am just a grad student. I have so much to learn. I do not deserve the attention.” But in reality she is a smarter young physicist, modest, down to earth person. She love what she is doing. What a great example she is.

The link below take you to Sabrina PhisicsGirl.com, where there is a link to her education, research, publications, etc.

PhysicsGirl.com

Sabrina grades are fantastic, she got perfect grades from high school all the way up to Harvard. In June 2019, she graduated from Harvard with a doctored in physics. She is doing an outstanding work in the field of physics.

Sabrina Gonzales Pasterski, PhD, PhysicsGirl, Harvard’s Center for the Fundamental Laws of Nature

This is Sabrina web site with informartion about what she has been doing:

PhysicsGirl.com2
On November 13, 2019, Sabrina was an special gest speaker at the Women in Tech Summit, in Warsaw, Poland. She is great inspiraction for young women.
Sabrina in Poland video”:

On November 13, 2019, Sabrina was an special gest speaker at the Women in Tech Summit, in Warsaw, Poland. She is great inspiraction for young women. Sabrina in Poland video”:

Eva Mendes

Eva Mendes - Wikipedia

Early life

Mendes was born in Miami, Florida, to Cuban parents Eva Pérez Suárez and Juan Carlos Méndez, and was raised by her mother in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Silver Lake,[2][3][4] after her parents' divorce. Mendes was raised a Roman Catholic and at one time even considered becoming a Catholic nun.[5] Her mother worked at Mann's Chinese Theatre[6] and later for an aerospace company, and her father ran a meat distribution business.[7] Mendes had one older brother, Juan Carlos Méndez Jr. (1963–2016), who died from throat cancer.[8] She also has an older sister, Janet, and a younger paternal half-brother, Carlos Alberto "Carlo" Méndez.[citation needed] She attended Hoover High School in Glendale,[9] and later studied marketing at California State University, Northridge, but left college to pursue acting under Ivana Chubbuck.[10]

220px-EvaMendescropped.jpg

Eva Mendes

Eva acting movie career started in the late 1990’s, and after some roles in B movies, her role in Training Days open the opportunity for larger movie parts. After that, she co-starred in a number of films. Her role in 2005 in the romantic comedy Hitch with Will Smith, brought worldwide exposure to her career.

1484045669-eva-mendes.jpg

Eva Mendes

Hitch trailer

Eva entrepreneurial woman

Eva Menes, beside her career as a movie actress, has done very well as an entrepreneurial woman. Macy’s sells her line of bed linens and dinnerware. She has her own fashion line, Eva by Eva Mendes, and she is the creative director of the makeup brand CIRCA Beauty.

She has appeared in Kalvin Klein underwear ads campaigns, and as an international spokeswoman for Revlon Cosmetics. She also has promoted Thierry Mugler's Angel fragrance, Reebok shoes, and Pantene shampoo.

f93ae4ee0284d60a61f6102b8315bdea.jpg

Eva Mendes fashion line

Eva the singer

In the movie The Other Guys, Eva sing the song "Pimps Don't Cry" with Cee-Lo Green. She recorded a version of The windmills of your mind, used in a commercial for Angel perfume. She also sings with Cierra Ramirez in the movie Girls in Progress.

Eva Mendes sings “The windmills of your mind”, the voice of the new Angel Campaign.

Very good interpretation by Eva. Michel Legrand composed the music and the famous couple of Alan and Marilyn Bergman the lyrics of the song “The Windmills of Your Mind.” It was the theme song for the film "The Thomas Crown Affair", and won the Oscar for Best Original Song in 1968. The lyrics in French were written by Eduard Marnay.

This is the video for the Angel Eau de toilette commercial

Eva Mendes is a very talented, beautiful and sexy woman. She met her partner Ryan Gosling during the filming of The Place Beyond the Pines, in which they both starred. They have two daughters, Esmeralda, born in 2014 and Amada in 2016.

Ryan dedicated the Golden Globe Award to Eva.

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen

220px-Ileana_Ros-Lehtinen_official_photo.jpg

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen

Early life, education, and early career
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen - Wikipedia

Ileana Ros y Adato was born in Havana, Cuba, one of two children born to Enrique Ros (1924–2013), who later became a businessman and anti-Fidel Castro activist, and his wife, Amanda Adato. The family immigrated to the United States when Ileana was seven years old. She received her Bachelor of Arts in education and her Master of Arts in educational leadership from Florida International University. She attended the University of Miami where she earned an Ed.D in higher education.[5]

Ros-Lehtinen was raised Catholic and is now an Episcopalian.[5][6] Ros-Lehtinen's maternal grandparents were Sephardic Jews, originally from the Ottoman Empire, who had been active in Cuba's Jewish community.[7] Her maternal grandfather left the city of Kırklareli for Cuba in 1913, fleeing the devastation and economic collapse caused by the First Balkan War.[8] Her mother later converted to Catholicism to marry her father.[7][9]

Ros-Lehtinen was an educator and the owner/operator of a private school in Miami-Dade County.[10] She was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 1982, where she met State Representative Dexter Lehtinen (D-Miami). They married on June 9, 1984, after Dexter switched parties. They both served in the State House until 1986. That year, they were both elected to the Florida Senate, where he was elected to District 40 and she was elected in District 34.[11][12] In 1988, Dexter Lehtinen resigned his seat to become U.S. Attorney of South Florida. In 1989, Ros-Lehtinen resigned her seat to become a U.S. Representative.
Ileana’s parents escaped from Cuba when she was 8 years old. She is a groundbreaking congresswoman. She is the first Latina elected to the US Congress, and the first Republican in congress to publicly support the passage of the marriage equality act.

She openly opposed dictatorships, especially Fidel Castro’s, because of her personal experience fleeing Cuba. She became so outspoken that Castro referred to her as the “Ferocious She Wolf.”

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen

Senior Advisor

iros-lehtinen@akingump.com
Add to address book

Washington, D.C.
T+1 202.887.4135
F+1 202.887.4288

Key Experience

• Served for almost three decades as a member of Congress representing a congressional district in South Florida and was the first Hispanic woman to serve in Congress.

• As a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, she became a leader in crafting U.S. foreign policy. She served as the Committee’s Chairwoman, and Chair or Co-Chair of multiple subcommittees.

• Key issues include advancing democracy, international trade, national security and defense, energy and environment, education and immigration.
In 2012, she became the first Republican to support marriage equality. She stressed the importance of accepting family for who they are. She puts into action her believes through her support and love for her transgender son, an advocate for the LGBT. She wrote the legislation awarding the Congressional Gold Medal to the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) who had served as pilots in World War II. She also was the lead sponsor of the Violence Against Women Act, which provides resources to prosecute those who have committed acts of violence toward women.

She was the first woman to chair the Foreign Affairs Committee. Her efforts have helped shape the United States. She said, “I believe in the promise of America. Being a Cuban refugee, having come here when I was eight, I know that this is a shining city on the hill.”

Ros-Lehtinen, after leaving Congress where she spend 29 years, is teaching at the University of Miami. She said, “I used to be a teacher, and that is what I always enjoyed doing.” She joint the roster Miami Herald and writes Op-Eds for it, and was hired by the international law firm Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld.

She has no regrets over leaving Congress. She says, “I loved every minute of it. I love everything that I do, I like teaching, I like working in the big international law firm, I like being with my family, I like it all. I have got a sweet life, no complaints, God has been good to me,”

Back
Top Bottom