• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the four corners of the USA - where would you prefer to live?

• Washington

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • California

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Florida

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Maine

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Alaska

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Hawaii

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Washington D.C.

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I now have added three more options, so that there is more choice

None of the above.

Right - I heard that it's far more expensive to live in Hawaii than even Beverly Hills. Like double.

It CAN be, but the expense varies.
For instance, Hawaii zoning laws in the rural parts are weak and relatively unenforced.
Here's Arthur Lake, another personal friend, illegitimate great grandson of William Randolph Hearst, a formerly world famous
surfer and skateboarder, who now lives in what might be termed a "beach shack" which he built himself.
No code, no enforcement, no nothing, he just bought the land and set to work.
Not quite legal but in the area he's in, nobody bothers and no one cares.

202715_247669552074523_1006090633_o.jpg

He now gets by on art that he makes and sells to the haole tourists and on brick jobs for the locals.
He is also a master mason...the kind that actually lays BRICK, not the kind who hangs around a lodge.

Yes, sadly the wealthy family he grew up in pissed away their massive fortune.

Beaches in Califonia and in Hawaii.
Which ones would you prefer?

It CAN be, but the expense varies.
For instance, Hawaii zoning laws in the rural parts are weak and relatively unenforced.
Here's Arthur Lake, another personal friend, illegitimate great grandson of William Randolph Hearst, a formerly world famous
surfer and skateboarder, who now lives in what might be termed a "beach shack" which he built himself.
No code, no enforcement, no nothing, he just bought the land and set to work.
Not quite legal but in the area he's in, nobody bothers and no one cares.

View attachment 67388951

He now gets by on art that he makes and sells to the haole tourists and on brick jobs for the locals.
He is also a master mason...the kind that actually lays BRICK, not the kind who hangs around a lodge.

Yes, sadly the wealthy family he grew up in pissed away their massive fortune.

Dude looks like Chad Kroeger.

Don't really care for any of them.

If I had to choose, either Alaska or Florida probably, but I wouldn't be overly happy about it. Alaska is too cold, and Florida is too.... Florida.

California all the way. it's just too bad that it's been overrun by radicals.

Live in NH. Work in Maine, VT, NH and MA. The rest of the country can eff off, and like, wicked quick.

I now have added three more options, so that there is more choice

I actually live in Arizona. For almost my entire life. I clicked on California, but to be realistic it is too expensive. Dunno why this sticks to the "corners", Colorado is also very desirable.

So, California would be too crowded and too expensive. Florida is too flat and its crowded too. I have never been to Maine, so I can't judge it yet. Seattle and everything around it is beautiful. Very expensive though and frankly, the Pacific Northwest is the least friendly part of the country. I am not sure why, but it just is. Hawaii is paradise of course, but constraining as it's just islands.

I have been to a fair amount of the country at this point. Of the places I have been, in terms of living there:

Northern New Mexico. The Rockies in Northern New Mexico are as beautiful as Colorado, but much less crowded. Santa Fe is a really cool town too.

Tennessee is a beautiful state with a fairly mild climate on the east side (Memphis is utterly sweltering in the summer). It also has a fairly low cost of living and no state income tax.

Minnesota. The Twin Cities probably have the best overall quality of life of any metro in the country. Minneapolis is a beautiful city that is rich in culture and the arts, very outdoorsy, walkable, and clean. Visit Minneapolis and you will come away thinking that by and large Minnesota really has its shit together (that is certainly not to say it's perfect of course). That said, the climate is nice there from sometime in early May until some time in late October and by the dead of winter, its basically America's Siberia. Beautiful summers though.

Western Michigan. The most beautiful beaches in the country are actually in Western Michigan. Summers there are idilic. The downside is that you get buried in snow in the winter.

In terms of overall quality of life, the Kansas City area is pretty hard to beat. Though, for real outdoor opportunities, you are going to have to drive a few hours. Arkansas is a beautiful state that abounds in incredible fishing, hiking, mountain biking and other outdoor opportunities. The downside is the economy in much of the state is not that great. In terms of midsized cities, Omaha has a really good overall quality of life. If you want mountains, and no crowds (*outside of the Yellowstone area that is), move to Western Wyoming. If someone loved the mountains and wilderness, life in Lander WY would be really hard to beat.

To continue on what I wrote, these are pictures I have taken myself:

Michigan -

IMG_0157.jpeg

The North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota:
IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

Continued:

Arkansas:
IMG_2142.jpeg

New Mexico:

2021-10-23222.jpeg

The Wind River Range in Wyoming:

2021-10-23.jpeg

The Lake Superior coastline will compete with any coastline on this continent in terms of beauty. Lake Michigan has some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. Northern New Mexico is beautiful, and the Wind River Range in Western Wyoming may well be the greatest alpine environment on earth. None of these are in the states listed in the poll.

Very glooming and depressing during the winter and fall.

Most of the people in Seattle are liberal elitists. Many of the policies here make zero sense.

And yet it's considered one of the best cities in America to live in. And adding a hockey team is a big plus to me. ;)

Personally, though, I'm not a big city guy.

Montana has been my favorite state, so far, when it comes to natural beauty.

Pics I took today west of Anaconda. Miles and miles of gravel forest service roads winding up into the mountains. Millions of acres of public land to explore. You most certainly can get away from people and find solitude.

20220504_164919.jpg

20220504_164720.jpg

You sound depressing.

Don't care about the sunshine?
Grew up in the BC coast. Looking out at the ocean and turning around and seeing mountains. I've liked lots of places I've travelled to but ask me where I want to live and its where the mountains slope down into the sea.

From those choices, my initial reaction is Washington or Maine. Both seem interesting for different reasons.

Continued:

Arkansas:
View attachment 67388976

New Mexico:

View attachment 67388977

The Wind River Range in Wyoming:

View attachment 67388980

The Lake Superior coastline will compete with any coastline on this continent in terms of beauty. Lake Michigan has some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. Northern New Mexico is beautiful, and the Wind River Range in Western Wyoming may well be the greatest alpine environment on earth. None of these are in the states listed in the poll.
Man, that Wind River Range must be the best kept secret in America!

Back
Top Bottom