• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Foundation of Christianity

Jesus, as portrayed in the Bible, was a good man. Too bad so few of those who supposedly revere him today follow his example.

I personally have no problem with your statement, per se. However, there are a whole lot of Christians who would state that the events in Genesis are to be taken literally. And it still doesn’t answer why there would be a need for a Redeemer or a Savior, and thus the doctrinal foundation of the religion has a hoke so big that you could drive an entire caravan of trucks through it.

When you were a child, did you ever have a wise old Grandparent/Uncle/Aunt type figure who told you stories to teach you a lesson about life? Well, as a child you may have taken those stories as literal truths... but when you grew up a little and did some maturing and looked back on those old stories, you might have realized that they probably weren't literally true... but the fact that they may not have been doesn't take away from the core lesson that you learned from it. I think when you look at the teachings of Jesus beyond the actual teachings themselves, it's the message that shines through, even more so than the messenger Himself.... and if you give that message some thought, and put it into perspective with the scriptures that came before, it can lead you to look at them in a whole new light - not as a child who obediently listens and takes everything literally - but as an adult who is better equipped to truly understand the meaning behind the words.

its pretty easy to meat that challenge i can say stuff about god thats not true other people can say things about god that are not true

therefore what Humans say about god may or may not be true

Didn't think so...:roll:

its pretty good sign no god who has both the power to talk to you and cares for you exists

and as the biblical god is supposed to be loving benevolent all knowing and all powerful its a good sign no god like that exists

Why would God feel the need to respond to the debate making it useless

what use is a debate over the truth when you can know it?

Truth is determined by the objective analysis of alternatives. It is not simply “given”. And so to “know” truth demands debate.

When you were a child, did you ever have a wise old Grandparent/Uncle/Aunt type figure who told you stories to teach you a lesson about life? Well, as a child you may have taken those stories as literal truths... but when you grew up a little and did some maturing and looked back on those old stories, you might have realized that they probably weren't literally true... but the fact that they may not have been doesn't take away from the core lesson that you learned from it. I think when you look at the teachings of Jesus beyond the actual teachings themselves, it's the message that shines through, even more so than the messenger Himself.... and if you give that message some thought, and put it into perspective with the scriptures that came before, it can lead you to look at them in a whole new light - not as a child who obediently listens and takes everything literally - but as an adult who is better equipped to truly understand the meaning behind the words.

Many young children are told there is a Santa Clais and it pays to be good in order to get toys.
Eventually they know that it was just a myth.

Many young children are told there is a God and it pays to be good to get to heaven.
Eventually many of them develop logic and one to understand that it is part of a myth.

Truth is determined by the objective analysis of alternatives. It is not simply “given”. And so to “know” truth demands debate.

the 58th post on this thread is what i quoting no one had to debate me for me to know that

a god showing up who can do whatever it wants at will will show you a being that can do whatever it wants at will exists

if said being tells you things you will know what it told you

Many young children are told there is a Santa Clais and it pays to be good in order to get toys.
Eventually they know that it was just a myth.

Many young children are told there is a God and it pays to be good to get to heaven.
Eventually many of them develop logic and one to understand that it is part of a myth.

So do you celebrate Christmas? If so, why?

I don’t see the relevance of your post. You will need to expand before I can offer a reply.

How much more elaboration do you need? If Jesus is a myth just like Santa Claus is a myth, then why do you celebrate his birth? That doesn't make sense to me... Christians I can see having a reason for doing whatever they do during Christmas... but why do Atheists feel the same compulsion? Now, I imagine there are some that don't... but it seems to me that most of them do, and I figure the odds are pretty good you're one of them... so why do you do it? Are you just going through the motions? Or is there more to it for you?

How much more elaboration do you need? If Jesus is a myth just like Santa Claus is a myth, then why do you celebrate his birth? That doesn't make sense to me... Christians I can see having a reason for doing whatever they do during Christmas... but why do Atheists feel the same compulsion? Now, I imagine there are some that don't... but it seems to me that most of them do, and I figure the odds are pretty good you're one of them... so why do you do it? Are you just going through the motions? Or is there more to it for you?

Probably because it was stolen from the pagans in the 1st place...:2razz:

It depends on what you mean by "celebrate". Like it or not, the primary "celebration" of Christmas these days consists of installing Christmas trees (which have nothing to do with the birth of Christ, per se) and buying presents for children and others (and thus undergirding our economy in the 4th quarter of each year). So to attack me for "going through the motions" would mean that I am just one of the millions who do so each year. And no, I do not "celebrate" Christmas as the birth of Christ, per se, but as a HOLIDAY that hopefully emphasizes good will among people and help for the economy of the nation. Jesus may have indeed been a good person, but as I have said in other threads, I see no need for a "Christ" as a "Redeemer" and "Savior" because the "original sin" of Adam eating an apple is nothing buy myth and thus undercuts Christianity at its very foundation.
Thanks for asking. I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely, nemesis

It depends on what you mean by "celebrate". Like it or not, the primary "celebration" of Christmas these days consists of installing Christmas trees (which have nothing to do with the birth of Christ, per se) and buying presents for children and others (and thus undergirding our economy in the 4th quarter of each year). So to attack me for "going through the motions" would mean that I am just one of the millions who do so each year. And no, I do not "celebrate" Christmas as the birth of Christ, per se, but as a HOLIDAY that hopefully emphasizes good will among people and help for the economy of the nation. Jesus may have indeed been a good person, but as I have said in other threads, I see no need for a "Christ" as a "Redeemer" and "Savior" because the "original sin" of Adam eating an apple is nothing buy myth and thus undercuts Christianity at its very foundation.
Thanks for asking. I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely, nemesis

You misunderstand me... I'm not interested in attacking anyone. Well, not in Beliefs and Skepticism anyway - the political forums are fair game. All I'm interested in doing here is understanding.

Take away all of the over-commercialization and stress surrounding Christmas, and at it's core, it's a celebration of family, is it not? And not just your family, but the family of man. It's a season of peace where we are all more disposed to actually treat one another as human beings and as human beings ought to be treated. Does that reflect any of your feelings about it?

You misunderstand me... I'm not interested in attacking anyone. Well, not in Beliefs and Skepticism anyway - the political forums are fair game. All I'm interested in doing here is understanding.

Take away all of the over-commercialization and stress surrounding Christmas, and at it's core, it's a celebration of family, is it not? And not just your family, but the family of man. It's a season of peace where we are all more disposed to actually treat one another as human beings and as human beings ought to be treated. Does that reflect any of your feelings about it?

No disagreement here. Peace on earth and goodwill towards men. Huzzah!

No disagreement here. Peace on earth and goodwill towards men. Huzzah!

Agreed. But at it's core... and without all the hypocrisy that sometimes gets dragged in, isn't that the core message of Christianity? Do unto others as you would have them do onto you. How you treat the least of God's children is how you treat God himself. Love thy neighbor. It seems to me that someone who professes to be a true Christian strives to maintain those values all year long... not just for a few days every December. Very few of us are actually able to maintain those values all the time... but it's a worthy goal nonetheless, is it not?

To that one might say: Credo quia absurdum

Credo quia absurdum is a Latin phrase that means "I believe because it is absurd", originally misattributed to Tertullian in his De Carne Christi. It is believed to be a paraphrasing of Tertullian's "prorsus credibile est, quia ineptum est" which means "It is certain because it is absurd", consistent with an anti-Marcionite context. Early modern, Protestant and Enlightenment rhetoric against Catholicism and religion more broadly resulted in this phrase being changed to "I believe because it is absurd", displaced from its original anti-Marcionite to a personally religious context.

Credo quia absurdum - Wikipedia

Agreed. But at it's core... and without all the hypocrisy that sometimes gets dragged in, isn't that the core message of Christianity? Do unto others as you would have them do onto you. How you treat the least of God's children is how you treat God himself. Love thy neighbor. It seems to me that someone who professes to be a true Christian strives to maintain those values all year long... not just for a few days every December. Very few of us are actually able to maintain those values all the time... but it's a worthy goal nonetheless, is it not?

Atheists can be nice people too. I don't need a god to tell me how to live.

Or Peter, Paul, and Mary.

It definitely wan't Jesus because he never once said the Old Testament laws were not to be followed. Paul, who never once met Jesus and who used to arrest them saw that many people were still believers after Jesus died and simply jumped on the band wagon and became their pied piper. Paul knew that people didn't care for the restrictive OT laws and convinced them that Jesus was talking about a new religion and that Jesus didn't think the OT laws needed to be obeyed anymore. That was way cool with the people he recruited and the rest, as they say, is history.

It really should be called Paulianity.

Back
Top Bottom