• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Foundation of Christianity

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Assuming for the sake of his argument that there is a God, then from whence does the Christian religion derive?
It seems to me that the foundation is in the "original sin" committed by Adam at the behest of Eve and a snake, for without that "original sin" and thereby throwing the rest of humanity into a potentially sinful state, there would have been no need for a "Savior" to "redeem" humanity, and thus no Jesus Christ dying on the cross and no Christian religion.

To make sure, I did some Google research and this is what I found:
Death came into the world through Adam's sin (Romans 5:12-15).
Romans 5:19: For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.
Original sin, also called ancestral sin, is a Christian belief in a state of sin in which humanity has existed since the fall of man, stemming from Adam and Eve's rebellion in Eden, namely the sin of disobedience in consuming the forbidden fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There's only one problem with that scenario: there was no Adam; no Garden of Eden; no Eve; no apple; no snake; etc etc etc. It is all a myth. The Homo genus evolved over literally millennia and basically came into its own in just the last half-million years or so, with the last 130,000 years or so being the most important. As a result, the Christian religion as presently practiced is based in the myth of Adam and "original sin"/
Whatever. It's a free country and people can believe whatever they want.

For that matter, the entire Book of Genesis should be properly labelled the Book of Myths. No creation in "seven days"; no worldwide flood; no ark saving all the animals of the realm; no man living inside a large fish; etc etc etc.

Jesus is at the founding of Christianity.

Before that it was the Jewish Bible.

Jesus is at the founding of Christianity.

Before that it was the Jewish Bible.

I didn’t say “founding”. I said foundation. Two different words with two different meanings. There would have been need for a Jesus as a “Savior” without the FOUNDATION of “original sin”. But there was no Adam. No Eve. No snake. No apple. Myth. Myth. Myth. Myth. And thus no “original sin” as described by the Bible.

The whole concept of this all powerful god is so filled with holes.

If he is powerful enough to create the planet earth then create every type of animal and produce humans could he not also produce human that only supported him?

It is the same people who created Santa Claus. Be a good boy or girl and Santa will bring you toys. Screw up and Santa gives you a lump of coal. With god be a good boy or girl and god will give you eternity. Screw up and he will make you burn horribly for eternity.

At least the Easter Bunny doesn't care if you smoked crack the night before he is still going to bring you some eggs.

The whole concept of this all powerful god is so filled with holes.

If he is powerful enough to create the planet earth then create every type of animal and produce humans could he not also produce human that only supported him?

Only scratching the surface.

Couldn't he uncreate Satan and Hell?
Couldn't he "save" us (from himself) without a human sacrifice?
Couldn't he let us into heaven even if we don't believe in him?
Couldn't he give us real evidence of his existence?

The last 2 sounds like life right here on earth...does this seem like heaven or paradise to you?

Assuming for the sake of his argument that there is a God, then from whence does the Christian religion derive?
It seems to me that the foundation is in the "original sin" committed by Adam at the behest of Eve and a snake, for without that "original sin" and thereby throwing the rest of humanity into a potentially sinful state, there would have been no need for a "Savior" to "redeem" humanity, and thus no Jesus Christ dying on the cross and no Christian religion.

Romans 5:19: For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.
Original sin, also called ancestral sin, is a Christian belief in a state of sin in which humanity has existed since the fall of man, stemming from Adam and Eve's rebellion in Eden, namely the sin of disobedience in consuming the forbidden fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There's only one problem with that scenario: there was no Adam; no Garden of Eden; no Eve; no apple; no snake; etc etc etc. It is all a myth. The Homo genus evolved over literally millennia and basically came into its own in just the last half-million years or so, with the last 130,000 years or so being the most important. As a result, the Christian religion as presently practiced is based in the myth of Adam and "original sin"/

For that matter, the entire Book of Genesis should be properly labelled the Book of Myths. No creation in "seven days"; no worldwide flood; no ark saving all the animals of the realm; no man living inside a large fish; etc etc etc.

Doesn't really matter any longer when the supreme court does not protect the right to pray as much as the right to do many other things in leisure activities.

christianity is perfectly fine with evolution

and no, its not a myth, christanity is true:wink2::wink2:

If there wasn't this idea of hell it would be very hard to get members to join you.

People are driven to a god by fear of the worst kind of punishment an individual could ever think of.

It is all rather sad. A cruel joke on people.

christianity is perfectly fine with evolution

and no, its not a myth, christanity is true:wink2::wink2:

So there really was an Adam, an Eve, a snake, an apple, a worldwide flood, and ark with all the animals of the world in it, a,an who lived inside a big fish? Really?

The last 2 sounds like life right here on earth...does this seem like heaven or paradise to you?

Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. It's not like I have another option.

Jonah was later on i think but if your looking for another bull**** story from genesis theirs the tower of babel

people living without pain and death and with knowledge of god is whats bothering you hear on earth?

All of you are wrong, the foundation of "Christianity" was the Roman empire.

Who under an Emperor's instructions debated, and even altered, text written by a several people all of whom never met Jesus yet this text ended up included, with other text specifically excluded, in a book held as "truth" still today even after translation upon translation resulting in multiple splinters of the same text.

Who under an Emperor's instructions debated, and even altered, text written by a several people all of whom never met Jesus yet this text ended up included, with other text specifically excluded, in a book held as "truth" still today even after translation upon translation resulting in multiple splinters of the same text.

More accurately, Rome is the foundation of apostate Christianity, from there, the splinters developed...Jesus is and always will be the foundation of true Christianity...there's a big difference in the 2...

This thread took a whole turn that I wasn't expecting. You all are talking about the HISTORY of Christianity while my original post referred to the foundational DOCTRINE of Christianity. The basic outlook of Christianity is that there is a need for a "Savior" or a "Redeemer" and that is what Jesus Christ was. But why was he needed in the first place was my question. I was basically trying to get an answer from a Christian, but they seem to be in short supply in the room. Perhaps they are mostly all over in a Christian chat room somewhere such that they don't have to do a lot of deeper thinking but instead can just pat one another on the back for witnessing the tenets of their faith.
Oh well.

It's all symbolic. You have to look beneath the surface. Many other religions have similar ideas, the concept of sacrifice is practically universeal.

People should not be so literal about the great mysteries.

It's all symbolic. You have to look beneath the surface. Many other religions have similar ideas, the concept of sacrifice is practically universeal.

People should not be so literal about the great mysteries.

What great mysteries? And which people should not be so literal?

What great mysteries? And which people should not be so literal?

God is not a mystery...He is there for all who earnestly seek Him...

This thread took a whole turn that I wasn't expecting. You all are talking about the HISTORY of Christianity while my original post referred to the foundational DOCTRINE of Christianity. The basic outlook of Christianity is that there is a need for a "Savior" or a "Redeemer" and that is what Jesus Christ was. But why was he needed in the first place was my question. I was basically trying to get an answer from a Christian, but they seem to be in short supply in the room. Perhaps they are mostly all over in a Christian chat room somewhere such that they don't have to do a lot of deeper thinking but instead can just pat one another on the back for witnessing the tenets of their faith.
Oh well.

Actually, I am talking about the foundation of Christianity. I am simply making an argument that is no different than the Jesus of Nazareth vs. Jesus of Bethlehem debate.

The point being those who wrote about "Jesus Christ" in the context you are suggesting never met Jesus, the things Jesus was doing during his life were so important and so profound that no one recorded them at the time. Spoke of, yes. Mixed up with other bronze age myths, yes.

The history we do have suggest the foundation of Christianity started with the Roman empire trying to deal with both various factions of those teaching these lessons through all sorts of text (again some included in the Bible, others not so much) and the concept of theocracy under Roman rule.

You will not get a real answer from "a Christian" as I contend they really can only regurgitate what they were taught and the roots of those lessons come from what was decided hundreds of years after Jesus died.

Actually, I am talking about the foundation of Christianity. I am simply making an argument that is no different than the Jesus of Nazareth vs. Jesus of Bethlehem debate.

The point being those who wrote about "Jesus Christ" in the context you are suggesting never met Jesus, the things Jesus was doing during his life were so important and so profound that no one recorded them at the time. Spoke of, yes. Mixed up with other bronze age myths, yes.

The history we do have suggest the foundation of Christianity started with the Roman empire trying to deal with both various factions of those teaching these lessons through all sorts of text (again some included in the Bible, others not so much) and the concept of theocracy under Roman rule.

You will not get a real answer from "a Christian" as I contend they really can only regurgitate what they were taught and the roots of those lessons come from what was decided hundreds of years after Jesus died.

Wrong...I already told you that is not true...Rome began the apostate Christianity...the true Christianity was started by Jesus Christ...

Back
Top Bottom