• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Forgotten Man by Jon McNaughton

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
What are your thoughts on this painting?

The-Forgotten-Man-Jon-McNaughton-KristaBlack.net_.jpg

Huh. I thought it was thought-provoking.

I'm wondering why the guy on the bench isn't crawling around picking up all the money left on the ground.

You really are hopeless if you can't even reach down and get money off the ground.

it is missing a giant brick wall labeled congress with a pair of moats labeled partisan divide further isolating the guy on the bench

Definitely a provocative work. Not sure what the deal is with the Presidents on the right clapping-- seems like it's trying to make a political statement but I can't quite decipher it, especially when compared to the Presidents on the left. There doesn't seem to be any sense to the arrangement.

the guys on the right clapping as Obama is standing on the constitution are the progressives. It is partisan propaganda and essentially tripe.

Last edited:
Curiousity got the better of me....

A man, crestfallen, is sitting on a bench in front of the White House, contemplating his country’s future. At his feet lie the causes of his distress: tattered dollars, representing a weak currency, and scraps of paper, symbolizing an abused Constitution. Behind and around him stand the 43 presidents of the United States, most of whom are outraged. One of them, James Madison, reaches pitifully for the ground, trying to collect the shards of American greatness. Unfortunately, he can’t retrieve our founding document from the dust, for it’s beneath the foot of Barack Obama.

The title of this portrait is “The Forgotten Man,” and its creator is Jon McNaughton, a 42-year-old artist from Spanish Fork, Utah. McNaughton unveiled the piece last Tuesday with a video describing its origin and a website explaining its meaning. “For a long time, I didn’t know if I wanted to paint this picture, because I worried that it might be too controversial,” McNaughton intones in the video. Now, however, he’s courting controversy.

The Forgotten Man Raises His Brush - Brian Bolduc - National Review Online

Here's a link to the painting on the artist's website. If you click on the small image, it'll enlarge. The painting is then interactive...float your mouse...read who's who on the right. This guy's thinking outside the box.

McNaughton Fine Art

Nice post.

Here is a close up of the presidents the artist depicted as liberal, including the clapping ones.

libs.jpg

I'm wondering why the guy on the bench isn't crawling around picking up all the money left on the ground.

You really are hopeless if you can't even reach down and get money off the ground.

Or maybe he's not picking it up because he knows he didn't earn it.

Or maybe he's not picking it up because he knows he didn't earn it.

According to the artist, it's because it's worthless.

The guy is white, and Obama has his foot on the Constitution.

What are your thoughts on this painting?

This painting represents everything that is wrong with American politics today, and a whole lot of what is wrong with what often passes for "debate" on this board.

Our politics (and our discussions of our politics) are so sensationalized, so emotionally charged, that it's all but impossible to have an honest in-depth discussion that doesn't rapidly break down into name-calling or accusations of stupidity or treason.

Every President that the average American can name off the top of their head, from the start of the 20th century on out, has materially participated in dramatically increasing the power of the Federal government at the expense of individual liberty.

You've pretty much defined "art."

You're saying he doesn't believe his message or knows it to be untrue?

I am saying its dishonest because of the oversimplification of real issues, whether or not I agree with the perspective has nothing to do with it. It presents a picture of absolutes.

One example is Lincoln. Given some of his actions during the civil war, I he should be right over there with the guys stepping on the constitution, hell Reagan too. Actually, there was that whole lousianna purchase which was considered unconstitutional at the time, so theres someone else on the wrong side ...

Last edited:
I am saying its dishonest because of the oversimplification of real issues, whether or not I agree with the perspective has nothing to do with it. It presents a picture of absolutes.

One example is Lincoln. Given some of his actions during the civil war, I he should be right over there with the guys stepping on the constitution, hell Reagan too. Actually, there was that whole lousianna purchase which was considered unconstitutional at the time, so theres someone else on the wrong side ...

Are you sure you're not calling it "dishonest" simply because you don't agree with it?

Back
Top Bottom