• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Flawed, Flawed Voter

TDGonDP

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
THE FICKLE VOTER

As a young adult, I was somewhat cognizant of the political world. I read some newspapers and listened to CBC radio, but I wasn’t a great TV watcher. But my life priorities were my career, business, and social outings. I did take my responsibility as a citizen somewhat seriously by at least exercising my right to vote. But in at least two elections, I had no idea who I was going to vote for. On election day, I got myself to the polling station, registered, got my ballot, put my X beside a name because of some whim, dropped the ballot in the box, and walked out.

What made me cast my vote one way but not another is still a mystery to me. Was it the party that did the most advertising? Was it the party with the best radio jingle? Was it the face that got splashed the most in the papers? Maybe I liked obvious underdogs. Who knows? I was a fickle voter.

In some sense, I probably should not have voted. I was clearly not taking the time to find a definitive decision. Whoever got my vote didn’t do enough to deserve it. And I was only diluting the collective knowledge of the voters who had put more effect into the process.

THE SCATTERBRAINED VOTER

THE SOFT SUPPORT VOTER

THE MISINFORMED VOTER

THE PARTISAN VOTER

THE MANDATE VOTER

THE ACQUAINTANCE VOTER

THE FICKLE VOTER

The Flawed, Flawed Voter

Isn't Cognizant a US IT company ?

I only know one person who has admitted to voting for the GOP and the Democratic party.

I've only ever voted once in my life.

But in at least two elections, I had no idea who I was going to vote for.

Then we're quite different. I've been a political junkie all my life and always knew exactly who I would vote for and why.

Then we're quite different. I've been a political junkie all my life and always knew exactly who I would vote for and why.

In my fickle voter, I was far from a political junkie. Then I joined a party and got hooked. Now, I've got some distance, but I can feel the addition.

Federally and provincially, I usually spoil my ballot.

Back
Top Bottom