• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The first European Union leader to meet with Putin since the invasion of Ukraine says the Russian president 'believes he is winning the war'

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The first European Union leader to meet with Putin since the invasion of Ukraine says the Russian president 'believes he is winning the war'

iu

Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer said Russian President Vladimir Putin is fairly confident about his military campaign in Ukraine, even after Russian forces withdrew from part of the country after weeks of stagnation. Nehammer on Monday became the first European Union leader to meet with Putin since Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24. In an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press" on Saturday, Nehammer said the conversation with Putin was not "friendly" but "frank and tough." "I think he is now in his own war logic. He thinks the war is necessary for security guarantees for the Russian Federation. He doesn't trust the international community. He blames Ukrainians for genocide in the Donbas region." When asked by host Chuck Todd if Putin thought he was winning the war, Nehammer said he thinks "he believes he is winning the war."

Nehammer's assessment is probably correct. We don't know what battlefield intelligence Putin is receiving, or his state of mind.

But in Putin's Kremlin position, to look at the war objectively, could very well be construed as defeatism.

iu

Nehammer's assessment is probably correct. We don't know what battlefield intelligence Putin is receiving, or his state of mind.

But in Putin's Kremlin position, to look at the war objectively, could very well be construed as defeatism.
Not sure whether this is one of the most absurd displays of naked and baseless bravado I've yet seen or the dude's high on his own supply of state propaganda extra strength copium. Hilarious.

Not sure whether this is one of the most absurd displays of naked and baseless bravado I've yet seen or the dude's high on his own supply of state propaganda extra strength copium. Hilarious.
I am sure his yes-men tells him everything is going splendid and exactly according to plans. Kiev by May.

I'm not surprised by this. Leaders like Putin and Trump don't measure their success by what they build up but by what they tear down.

Chancellor’s interview here.

I am sure his yes-men tells him everything is going splendid and exactly according to plans. Kiev by May.
Shit...he probably thinks Russian forces are already in control of Kiev.

His sycophants are lying their asses off to him to avoid being punished for the utter failures we've seen.

Purin surely believes there are problems, or he wouldn't have appointed General Dvornikov as the supreme theater commander after the withdrawal from Kyiv.

The Moskva must also be a terrible blow. Putin toured her once when he visited Crimea.

But still, it must be difficult for Puin to beleve that his military is not up to the task of defeating Ukraiune, especially when Russia can engage in widespread war crimes.

I am fairly sure Putin now views Ukraine as an existential battle between Russia and NATO.

Back
Top Bottom