• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the first earth day in 1970 was a teach-in,... 52 years later humanity by and large is still ecologically oblivious

earthday-teach-in-know-your-carbon-footprint-1-of-2.png

earthday-teach-in-know-your-carbon-footprint-2-of-2.png

the consequences of political and business leadership being ecologically oblivious is lots of eco-anxiety (especially among the youth)

dear-1945-earthday-2022-eco-anxiety-of-a-first-grader.png

My comment is this.

This is all about keeping Earth inhabitable by Humans, and nothing really to do with "saving" Earth itself.

The planet Earth is doing just fine.

It's existed for around for 4.5 BILLION years.

How many years have Humans been around? About 300,000 years, with possible ancestor species appearing about 6 million years ago.

Meanwhile, whole ages have gone by with all sorts of changes to the Earth occurring...yet IT still abides.

The only real threats to Earth are cosmic disasters, like our Sun going Supernova, or a planetary disaster like the moon or some other massive body crashing into it and turning Earth into an asteroid belt.

So when I hear someone asserting a need to "save the Earth," I just smile a little in amusement at the hyperbolic nature of the assertion the Earth needs to be "saved."

1651892308492.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PoS
I am 52yo, and can assure you many people are not oblivious to caring for the planet. Perhaps things are not moving fast enough for some, but great progress has been made in the previous 50 years.

Try looking at the glass half full. We still have a long way to go on renewable energy, which should be the priority, everything else will fall into place.

IMHO (as knucklehead who managed to get university sheepskin in physics AND also as a trained pilot that so far has managed to have the same number of take offs and landing,...) there is awareness by people to care for the planet BUT as I look at things 99.999% of people are pretty darn eco-oblivious as to scientific specifics about climate change (and FYI a published paper established this FACT)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/tops.12187

when I read this paper I though the findings were a mistake so I conducted my own informal survey on the topic at a start-up conference (where there were lots of tech savvy people) AND also at an environmental activists meetup (specifically SD350.org),... sadly what actually happened is I confirmed the findings of the published paper AND only found one individual at the start-up conference who could describe the actual science

as for looking at the glass half full,... basically I'm optimistic that there are technical solutions to adapt to climate change HOWEVER the weak link is people are essentially clueless

BTW the reason I specifically mentioned above that I'm a trained pilot is because in aviation accident investigations one learns aircraft crashed are all due to human error,... by this I mean a pilot makes a mistake in judgement OR an engineer designs a part that isn't totally thought out OR a mechanic does not put together the aircraft in the right way,... Capeesh?!

to give you an example of people essentially being clueless (i.e. being 'the weak link') consider this recent news item

May 6 (Reuters) - California energy officials on Friday issued a sober forecast for the state's electrical grid, saying it lacks sufficient capacity to keep the lights on this summer and beyond if heatwaves, wildfires or other extreme events take their toll.

...In an online briefing with reporters, the officials forecast a potential shortfall of 1,700 megawatts this year, a number that could go as high as 5,000 MW if the grid is taxed by multiple challenges that reduce available power while sending demand soaring, state officials said during an online briefing with reporters

http://www.reuters.com/world/us/california-says-it-needs-more-power-keep-lights-2022-05-06/

AND the energy shortfall throughout the south western USA is exacerbated by 'climate change drought'

as I see things (as a trained physicist/pilot) this situation would not be happening if people (especially political leadership) had 'situational awareness' along w/ a backbone to confront the problem head on

BUT no politician ever got or kept his job by saying hey people we have a BIG problem here (and the solution requires everyone to sacrifice something)

Last edited:
An estimated 196,000 pounds of plant material, millions of years of time (heat and pressure?), extraction, and refining yields one gallon of gasoline. Wow.
That's of course if that's how oil is made...

IMHO (as knucklehead who managed to get university sheepskin in physics AND also as a trained pilot that so far has managed to have the same number of take offs and landing,...) there is awareness by people to care for the planet BUT as I look at things 99.999% of people are pretty darn eco-oblivious as to scientific specifics about climate change (and FYI a published paper established this FACT)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/tops.12187

when I read this paper I though the findings were a mistake so I conducted my own informal survey on the topic at a start-up conference (where there were lots of tech savvy people) AND also at an environmental activists meetup (specifically SD350.org),... sadly what actually happened is I confirmed the findings of the published paper AND only found one individual at the start-up conference who could describe the actual science

as for looking at the glass half full,... basically I'm optimistic that there are technical solutions to adapt to climate change HOWEVER the weak link is people are essentially clueless

BTW the reason I specifically mentioned above that I'm a trained pilot is because in aviation accident investigations one learns aircraft crashed are all due to human error,... by this I mean a pilot makes a mistake in judgement OR an engineer designs a part that isn't totally thought out OR a mechanic does not put together the aircraft in the right way,... Capeesh?!

to give you an example of people essentially being clueless (i.e. being 'the weak link') consider this recent news item

AND the energy shortfall throughout the south western USA is exacerbated by 'climate change drought'

as I see things (as a trained physicist/pilot) this situation would not be happening if people (especially political leadership) had 'situational awareness' along w/ a backbone to confront the problem head on

BUT no politician ever got or kept his job by saying hey people we have a BIG problem here (and the solution requires everyone to sacrifice something)

Droughts come and go over time. What does this have to do with mankind causing this? It doesn't. It just means that more people are going to have to move out of California for a reason other than stupid dimwitted Democrat leadership. God is telling California to shape up and stop the wokeness and wickedness. Will humans listen? Probably not. Do they ever?

My comment is this.

This is all about keeping Earth inhabitable by Humans, and nothing really to do with "saving" Earth itself.
What other context would any reasonable person use?

Droughts come and go over time. What does this have to do with mankind causing this? It doesn't. It just means that more people are going to have to move out of California for a reason other than stupid dimwitted Democrat leadership. God is telling California to shape up and stop the wokeness and wickedness. Will humans listen? Probably not. Do they ever?

sigh,... the real problem is people are idiots (on both side of the political spectrum) who cling to nonsensical ideas and these nonsensical ideas become engrained w/ partisan politics and political identity

there is no denying there lots of elected dems who have their heads up their woke ass,... (for example) in my home town one idiotic thing I get a laugh out of is a no talent ass clown taking on an issue I never realized was a problem,...

2021-03-25-Seriously.png

BUT on the other hand there are 'conservatives' w/ some pretty far out there beliefs (for example),...

TRUMP-A-Very-Stable-Genius-who-is-being-influenced-by-the-devil.png

basically mankind has the ability to create some pretty useful technology BUT truth is, more often than not technology is mismanaged (for example the electrical grid)

I bring up the topic of the electrical grid because, some of electrical generating stations in the south western USA are powered by hydro (which is a natural resource)

point being,... technology AND natural resources have to be managed wisely,... BUT the reality is due to foolish human nature, people cause problems and all too make a bad situation like 'drought' so much more difficult

let's look at the drought for exmple,...

Lake Powell, which straddles the Arizona-Utah state line, has declined to just 24% of full capacity AND Lake Mead has dropped to 30% of full capacity,... basically the water shead in the south western USA is being severely being pushed beyond its limits

common sense indicates 'situationally aware' people should be cutting back,... BUT what is actually happening according to news reports is water consumption is going up!

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California’s water use jumped dramatically in March, state officials said,...

Newsom last summer asked residents to voluntarily cut water use by 15% compared to 2020 as climate change intensified a drought that threatened to drain the state’s reservoirs to dangerously low levels. Water conservation increased gradually through December, aided by some intense fall and early winter storms that reduced water demand.

But the first three months of 2022 have been the driest on record. Californians averaged 77 gallons (291.48 liters) per person per day in March, an 18.9% increase from March 2020. It’s the most water Californians have used in March since the middle of the previous drought in 2015. Statewide, water consumption is up just 3.7% since July compared to 2020, woefully short of Newsom’s 15% goal

http://apnews.com/article/business-...ric-garcetti-66601e9026021c606109594235214f78

there is an old expression,... 'jumping out of the frying pan (and) into the fire...' basically that is exactly what is happening in the south western USA where demand for water is being severely being pushed beyond the natural limits of nature

bottom line,... partisan politics, nonsensical ideas AND a basic lack of scientific understanding, is causing people to ignore extensional threats (like climate change and drought)

sigh,... the real problem is people are idiots (on both side of the political spectrum) who cling to nonsensical ideas and these nonsensical ideas become engrained w/ partisan politics and political identity

there is no denying there lots of elected dems who have their heads up their woke ass,... (for example) in my home town one idiotic thing I get a laugh out of is a no talent ass clown taking on an issue I never realized was a problem,...

2021-03-25-Seriously.png

BUT on the other hand there are 'conservatives' w/ some pretty far out there beliefs (for example),...

TRUMP-A-Very-Stable-Genius-who-is-being-influenced-by-the-devil.png

basically mankind has the ability to create some pretty useful technology BUT truth is, more often than not technology is mismanaged (for example the electrical grid)

I bring up the topic of the electrical grid because, some of electrical generating stations in the south western USA are powered by hydro (which is a natural resource)

point being,... technology AND natural resources have to be managed wisely,... BUT the reality is due to foolish human nature, people cause problems and all too make a bad situation like 'drought' so much more difficult

let's look at the drought for exmple,...

Lake Powell, which straddles the Arizona-Utah state line, has declined to just 24% of full capacity AND Lake Mead has dropped to 30% of full capacity,... basically the water shead in the south western USA is being severely being pushed beyond its limits

common sense indicates 'situationally aware' people should be cutting back,... BUT what is actually happening according to news reports is water consumption is going up!

there is an old expression,... 'jumping out of the frying pan (and) into the fire...' basically that is exactly what is happening in the south western USA where demand for water is being severely being pushed beyond the natural limits of nature

bottom line,... partisan politics, nonsensical ideas AND a basic lack of scientific understanding, is causing people to ignore extensional threats (like climate change and drought)

Can we get more aqueducts built from the midwest where it rains and floods all the time? Or, better yet, can we get all Democrats to move out of California to Mexico and South America where their brains and knowhow are sorely needed.

Can we get more aqueducts built from the midwest where it rains and floods all the time? Or, better yet, can we get all Democrats to move out of California to Mexico and South America where their brains and knowhow are sorely needed.

sure it is possible to build an aqueduct from the midwest to Southern California BUT as I see things it would take more money, resources and time to build than is practical

given the Colorado River basin is only about a quarter full of designed capacity AND the drought forecast looks unending things don't look very promising,... consider it took five years to build The Hoover Dam,... just a guess on my part but a conservative estimate is it would take at least 100x more concrete than was used at The Hoover Dam to build an aqueduct that you envision, it would also take years to find a suitable route, there would be various environmental reports, blah, blah, blah

basically as I see things it makes no sense to build, let alone operate an aqueduct,... consider how much energy it would require to pump water up and over the rockies (a water pump is akin to a hydro generator in reverse), so a good starting point for energy consumption of water pumps I'd say is at least 1000+ Mw (which is about the ball park of electricity Hoover Dam generates)

as for 'can we get all Democrats to move out of California to Mexico and South America where their brains and knowhow are sorely needed'

sigh,... sadly what appears to be happening is political corruption and mismanagement common to Mexico and South America which is being imported into the USA

if it were up to me, I'd have affirmative action quotas on the number of 'community organizers' and 'lawyers' allowed to hold political office,... this is because to a lawyer they see every problem can be solved w/ more laws,... whereas in science and math classes one learns that in the real world there are natural resource limits,... basically I think formally trained scientists and engineers would make more pragmatic decisions WRT environmental issues than 'community organizers' and 'lawyers'

another way I look at the problem is just before WWII the US military was an 'old boys club' where promotions were based upon seniority not technical competence (according to a George C. Marshall bio I came across)

I mention Marshall because as I see things career politicians in the Democratic Party are akin to how unprofessional and how 'old boys club-ish' the US military was before Marshall was put in charge

given I look at addressing climate change and the drought as akin to a war that humanity needs to fight in order to survive, what is needed is for the Democratic Party to realize championing the civil rights of LGBT or people of color does nothing to address an extensional threat (basically w/ out safe water to drink and water to grow crops people die)

I think our leaders knew fairly well where the exponential growth and pressure on natural resources from modernization were heading, they didn't have any answers. Greedy men were already in power, who thought wishing away humanity's environmental impact was harmless overall. Now we face the consequences of no planning beyond peak consumption.

elected leaders are focused on only one thing,... their own self interest AND being elected OR if that fails being a lobbyist

this incestuous relationship of elected leaders and lobbyist is why humanity is up $hit creek w/ out a paddle

FWIW here is a summary of the drought problem (along w/ an infrastructure adaption that should be build ASAP)

hopefully people and especially elected officials grow a backbone and directly confront the extensional threat situation

The school’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography published a paper that said there is a 5 percent chance of catastrophic change within roughly three decades, and a smaller chance that it would broadly wipe out human life.

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/science/sd-me-scripps-climatechange-20170914-story.html

earthday-teach-in-know-your-carbon-footprint-1-of-2.png

earthday-teach-in-know-your-carbon-footprint-2-of-2.png

the consequences of political and business leadership being ecologically oblivious is lots of eco-anxiety (especially among the youth)

dear-1945-earthday-2022-eco-anxiety-of-a-first-grader.png
2045?
AOC said 2031....

If you REALLY care about the Planet, then you need to start looking in to Eugenics !
I think the best thing to do is force people on Welfare to get Free Vasectomies and Tubule Ligations, to reduce
the Human population.

Back
Top Bottom