• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The fire in Canada looks a lot like climate change -- and that should scare you

Not back then. I was born and raised almost within a National Forest. There are regional forms of fire and forest management in the US, or were when the USFS wrote the rules. Once Congress took the reins they enforced the eastern model on all. Controlled burns have become a thing of the past.

The base problem is indeed man. Our population and spread has steadily increased. So even controlled burns (forest style) become too dangerous for the surrounding communities which have grown well beyond rural and density has radically increased.

they still do controlled burns where I live. they have to in order to keep some area's from going up in smoke during
the dry season. also there are other area's that are fire dependent and they do them in order to kill out
invasive plants that can take over from the natural ones.

we are getting into controlled burn season now.

The Alberta wildfire looks a lot like Earth warning us not to dig those tar sands up.

That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard anyone say. Congratulations.

Hehe! There's a solution nobody thought of, burn it all down.
I'm pretty sure they die in the fire but they're trying to cut the dead trees before they burn. It looks kind of sad, acres and acres of rust-red trees, but the bush renews itself one way or another.

Lodgepole pine actually makes great firewood. It is one of the few (maybe only) pine woods that does. It has great veins of crystallized sap running through it, and it can sometimes be lit without the use of any kindling.

That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard anyone say. Congratulations.

So it just coincidence then. Whatever it is certainly another "perfect storm" that combines insects that need warmer temps with drought from climate change to produce what very well be a record setting fire. Temperatures there were in the 90's before the fire, that is not just weather. We ignore these events at our peril.

You guys always say that weather isn't climate. But when it suits your purposes weather is climate.

This is a huge record setting FIRE. Since when are fires "weather"?

And now you are bull****ting..

Coldest low at Fort McMurray since 1948 is -11.8°C. Average temps for Fort McMurray.. Cold snaps happen but not the norm. Just like the Polar Vortex sitting south of the Great Lakes like it did several times in 2015 when it hit -23°C (for Americans, that's -11) in Columbus, Ohio.

Grand Mal is correct

All parts of Alberta can and will get below -11.8 C. -40 for Fort Mc is not unusual not common.

Grand Mal is correct

All parts of Alberta can and will get below -11.8 C. -40 for Fort Mc is not unusual not common.

Huh? Coldest temp ever record at Fort McMurray is −53.3, average lows in winter peaks at −22.5. This is just recorded weather fact. Plant hardiness zone for the area is the same as Duluth.

Is there cold snaps? Yes, but Fort McMurray's location like Fort Nelson tends to leave it warmer in the winter then say.. Yellowknife.

The fire was not a natural occurrence. It was started by US oil industry insiders w/the explicit intent of cutting the global supply of oil in an effort to boost its price.

Everyone on Wall St. knows that.

- First. As far as fire behavior, how does one tell a "natural start" fire from a "human" started fire?

Second. Without any links to back up your statement of who started the fire, your post is nothing more that a conspiracy theory statement.

Holy ****. Again.

Yes...there have always been fires and yes...mankind is building domiciles on areas where there have always been fired and did I mention...yes...there has ALWAYS BEEN fires. And yet...

"True, there have been fires in Canada's boreal forest for ages. But scientists and researchers say this fire looks a whole lot like climate change. And that should be alarming for all of us."

THIS time...its cuz climate change. Honest. Sweartagawd!

The Alberta wildfire looks a lot like Earth warning us not to dig those tar sands up. It has wiped out all the homes built there in the last few years for the tar sands workers. It is so big it is creating its own weather.

Canada fire: This looks like climate change - CNN.com

ROTFLOL... Funniest OP I've seen yet on DP.

Actually... If you're looking for comparisons... That fire looks like Obamanomics. Total devastation despite the use of massive resources.

Actually... If you're looking for comparisons... That fire looks like Obamanomics. Total devastation despite the use of massive resources.
Its raining today. Its a sure sign of climate change.

"The fire in Canada looks a lot like climate change -- and that should scare you"

It doesn't look like climate change to me. It looks like a wild fire and it certainly should scare the people living near it.

Holy ****. Again.

Yes...there have always been fires and yes...mankind is building domiciles on areas where there have always been fired and did I mention...yes...there has ALWAYS BEEN fires. And yet...

"True, there have been fires in Canada's boreal forest for ages. But scientists and researchers say this fire looks a whole lot like climate change. And that should be alarming for all of us."

THIS time...its cuz climate change. Honest. Sweartagawd!

Nice. Just ignore the meat of the article and poo poo it because you are a AGW denier. That's what deniers do. Right?
In parts of the western United States, there no longer is a "fire season." The entire year is now fair game.
"Climate change has led to fire seasons that are now on average 78 days longer than in 1970," the U.S. Forest Service said in an August 2015 report. "The U.S. burns twice as many acres as three decades ago and Forest Service scientists believe the acreage burned may double again by mid-century."
Lightning -- which starts many fires -- also increases with higher atmospheric temperatures.

These consequences are serious and they are increasingly expensive.

I know you were "devastated" that Obama was elected twice but that is just you. The rest of us are far better off than under the last excuse for a President. Canada on the other hand has just begun to fight the flames of their dalliance with Conservatism who's leaders put them on the path to destruction with their obsession with tar sands crud(e).

Last edited:
Nice. Just ignore the meat of the article and poo poo it because you are a AGW denier. That's what deniers do. Right?
Woah...first off let's make sure we dont let you get away with the ridiculous Global Warming crowd schtick. I do not deny climate 'changes'. In point of fact, go back over the last two decades and most of us that were laughing at the idiocracy that was "Global Warming" were the ones pointing out...hey...guess what...climate changes. Thats the one thing we know Climate reliably does...it changes. It has long before and it always will. So...try being a little more 'scientific' with your verbiage. What you AGW true believers REALLY mean when you say 'deniers' is AGW deniers. And BTW...why dont you use the term AGW as opposed to 'climate change' anymore?

No...we dont bend and swallow everything the pro AGW crowd feeds you as if it were gospel. No...we dont trust 'scientists' caught gaming data models to fit their predictions and yes...we are skeptical of the same clowns who 3 decades ago were telling us that pollution was taking us to the ice age that now use a car backfiring as 'proof' of 'Climate Change'.

It should also be mentioned that the lodgepole pine is a fire dependent species. So fire is a natural and necessary part of it's cycle. Without these fires you don't have a healthy forest.

Down in California, in the 50s and 60s the US Forest Service used to know this and would do controlled burns. Keep the forest healthy but with managed as opposed to unmanaged fire. But the eastern environmentalists pushed Congress to take control and our western forests have suffered for it ever since.

How do we know the fires themselves don't cause global warming? Those forest fires should be extinguished! (Should I copyright this post so Sarah Palin doesn't steal it?)

I know you were "devastated" that Obama was elected twice but that is just you. The rest of us are far better off than under the last excuse for a President. Canada on the other hand has just begun to fight the flames of their dalliance with Conservatism who's leaders put them on the path to destruction with their obsession with tar sands crud(e).
ROTFLOL... America has been devastated by Obama's Reign of Error... Trillion buck budgets with nothing but debt to show for it.

As for the rest... ROTFLOL... I hope you are consistent with your mouth... That being... You don't have a car, your don't fly... Ever, and oil isn't used to heat your house or the business you slave for.

ROTFLOL... America has been devastated by Obama's Reign of Error... Trillion buck budgets with nothing but debt to show for it.

As for the rest... ROTFLOL... I hope you are consistent with your mouth... That being... You don't have a car, your don't fly... Ever, and oil isn't used to heat your house or the business you slave for.

Too bad most Americans don't feel like you do. Obama's popularity just keeps growing....like our economy.

Obama's Soaring Approval Rating Powers Democratic Optimism For 2016

Back
Top Bottom