• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Financial Times sees the writing on the wall

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
When will the left accept that the country rejects their agenda?

Democrats face midterm meltdown
By Edward Luce in Washington
Published: August 31 2010 20:04

Barack Obama’s Democratic party faces a series of dramatic defeats at every level of government in Washington and beyond in the November midterm elections, according to leading analysts and opinion polls.

The University of Virginia’s widely monitored Crystal Ball will on Wednesday forecast sweeping setbacks on Capitol Hill and the loss of a clutch of state governorships on November 2.

It follows a Gallup poll that showed the Republicans with a 10 percentage point lead over the Democrats – the widest margin in 68 years. Separately, a University of Buffalo paper has predicted a 51-seat gain for Republicans in November.

The Democrats have a 39-seat majority in the House of Representatives. Many believe Democratic control of the Senate is also at risk.

“Voters are going to deliver a big fat message to President Obama, which he will not want to hear,” said Larry Sabato, who runs Crystal Ball. “The Republican base is at least 50 degrees further to the right than where it was when Newt Gingrich took control of the House in 1994, so we would be looking at two years of absolutely nothing getting done on Capitol Hill.

FT.com / US / Politics & Foreign policy - Democrats face midterm meltdown

FT.com / US / Politics & Foreign policy - Democrats face midterm meltdown

Did 2006 and 2008 prove that the nation rejected conservative ideals and the republican agenda? Or does that only work one way?

The country as a whole does not like one party rule in general and not everything in the economy has completely turned around. That's gonna hurt the democrats. To act like this is the entire country bashing the left's agenda when in 2008 and 2006 they were elected, presumably because of their leftist agenda, is silly.

I could come up with some tripe about how this just means that the liberals in congress and the whitehouse just aren't acting liberal enough (sound familiar?) but I'm not in the mood.

Did 2006 and 2008 prove that the nation rejected conservative ideals and the republican agenda? Or does that only work one way?

The country as a whole does not like one party rule in general and not everything in the economy has completely turned around. That's gonna hurt the democrats. To act like this is the entire country bashing the left's agenda when in 2008 and 2006 they were elected, presumably because of their leftist agenda, is silly.

I could come up with some tripe about how this just means that the liberals in congress and the whitehouse just aren't acting liberal enough (sound familiar?) but I'm not in the mood.

The 2006 and 2008 elections were more about the Iraq war than they were about anything else. The American people are rejecting the progressive agenda, and doing so in an unbelievably short amount of time.

The 2006 and 2008 elections were more about the Iraq war than they were about anything else. The American people are rejecting the progressive agenda, and doing so in an unbelievably short amount of time.

Thanks.

Dem's lose, it's because people can't stand their entire agenda. Republicans lose, it was just an election based on one issue. Yea, I can't remember anyone worrying about the economy during the 2008 election, lol.

If the country rejects the agenda of the Left then how did so many get elected in the first place?

If the country rejects the agenda of the Left then how did so many get elected in the first place?

The American people didn't understand what that agenda was until Mr. "fundamentally transform America" went into action.

The American people didn't understand what that agenda was until Mr. "fundamentally transform America" went into action.
Did you just make that up? :rofl

When republicans come back into power it will be their turn to have abysmal ratings as if they would be able to turn the economy around on a dime.

I'm curious, what fundamentals of America have been transformed over the last 18 months?

What do you expect Republicans will do if they take over the majority to fix them, or to fix America in general?

I've read a few of your threads so far and it just seems like you have a republican bullhorn and not much substance, I don't even fully grasp the purpose of posting this sort of thread.

I'm curious, what fundamentals of America have been transformed over the last 18 months?

What do you expect Republicans will do if they take over the majority to fix them, or to fix America in general?

I've read a few of your threads so far and it just seems like you have a republican bullhorn and not much substance, I don't even fully grasp the purpose of posting this sort of thread.
Damn, you're a fast learner. I had 10-15 posts before I made the same, yet to see any evidence I was wrong about it, conclusion.

Has writing on a wall ever actually been a good predictor of the future?

He has taken over GM and mandated that all Americans must buy health insurance.

I don't have much confidence that the republicans will do anything to change what Obama has done. I do feel however, they will be able to stop him from inflicting more damage to the country. Hopefully in 2012, the republicans can take back the White House and undo the crap sandwich known as "Obamacare".

He has taken over GM and mandated that all Americans must buy health insurance.

I don't have much confidence that the republicans will do anything to change what Obama has done. I do feel however, they will be able to stop him from inflicting more damage to the country. Hopefully in 2012, the republicans can take back the White House and undo the crap sandwich known as "Obamacare".

The government hasn't taken over GM, it owns a 61% stake in the company however. Which it got in return for loaning them 50 Billion dollars to avoid collapsing entirely. Once GM pays back the money, it will no longer be "owned" by the government. As far as I'm aware Washington doesn't interfere with or micromanage day to day activities at the company. This isn't really a fundamental change in society, though as far as society is concerned the government should probably have just let GM fail, along with allowing all the jobs created by GM to disappear. Would that have made you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Next, it is a fundamental change that we are being required to purchase insurance. However, most people already have some level of insurance, so this won't change much for them. Plus this policy isn't even enacted until 2014 when the fee for not having insurance is 95$, and isn't a big deal until 2015 when the fee for not having insurance is 325$. It will be much easier to obtain insurance and lower-cost to most people. Obviously people going from having no insurance to having decent insurance will pay a higher cost. While it is accurate that this is a fundamental change, that does not necessarily entail it being a bad change. What specifically do you dislike about the health care bill?

In regards to insurance, if you own a vehicle you are already required to have insurance in every state in the US. So, you should be used to this requirement. Personally I pay a lot more for my vehicle insurance than I do for my health insurance. So, it would be logical to revoke that law, if you really wanna save money. Even though it is not an official national legislation, it is a law in every state.

Do you have any faith that the republicans will be able to change some of the things the Republicans have done in the past? If they can't change all the disastrous policies of Obama, assuredly they can improve some of their own flawed policies? Even if they do take the white house in 2012, I ask once again, what about the health care bill do you dislike so much that the entire bill warrants repeal? What new disastrous policies will Obama create if the righteous republican right (who else appreciated the alliteration there?) cannot thwart his activities by taking the majority in the house/senate?

Last edited:
In regards to insurance, if you own a vehicle you are already required to have insurance in every state in the US. So, you should be used to this requirement. Personally I pay a lot more for my vehicle insurance than I do for my health insurance. So, it would be logical to revoke that law, if you really wanna save money. Even though it is not an official national legislation, it is a law in every state.

Apples and oranges.

If you don't own a car, you don't need insurance.

Apples and oranges.

If you don't own a car, you don't need insurance.

Excellent job not answering any of my direct questions and instead stating something that I obviously already qualified by saying "...if you own a vehicle..."

so we would be looking at two years of absolutely nothing getting done on Capitol Hill.

That may be the best news I have heard in a while.

Has writing on a wall ever actually been a good predictor of the future?

According to our President: Damn the wall!! More spending - full speed foward into the maw of financial ruin!!!

Back
Top Bottom