• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Fascinating History of the Cherusci

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I've always been fascinated by ancient history. Is there anyone else here interested in discussing ancient European civilizations? One such civilization of particular interest to me for proposed discussion, is that of the Cherusci, that inhabited parts of southern Germany in the 1st century BC - 1st century AD. A brief description follows, before my proposed spirited symposium on the history of a great European people.

The Cherusci (sometimes called the Cherusks) were a Germanic tribe that inhabited parts of the plains and forests of northwestern Germany, in the area possibly near present-day Hanover, during the 1st century BC and 1st century AD. Ethnically, Pliny the Elder groups them with their neighbours the Suebi and Chatti, as well as the Hermunduri, as Hermiones, one of the Germanic groupings said to descend from an ancestor named Mannus.[1] They led an important war against the Roman Empire. Subsequently they were probably absorbed into the tribal confederations such as the Franks and Allemanni.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherusci

Last edited:
Would anyone interested in discussing WWI, WWII or the Cheruscan battle of the Teutoburg forest be so kind....

I found a place for your wonderful idea about discussing the Cherusci tribe Chagos. I'm awaiting your scholarly dissertation friend.

Well the fact that you have them (as once) inhabiting Southern Germany where even the text you cite puts them very much in the North-West, doesn't hold out much hope for anything "scholarly", does it now? :2razz:

P.S. last time I looked I didn't have a scholarly dissertation friend. :mrgreen:

P.P.S. Did you want to make that link?

Last edited:
Well the fact that you have them (as once) inhabiting Southern Germany where even the text you cite puts them very much in the North-West, doesn't hold out much hope for anything "scholarly", does it now? :2razz:

P.S. last time I looked I didn't have a scholarly dissertation friend. :mrgreen:

P.P.S. Did you want to make that link?

:lamo It was probably time to log off an hour ago. This is what I get.

I'm about done now. I'll leave you to your pedir disculpas on the other thread :mrgreen:
another one who doesn't understand the difference between apology and apologetics :roll:

Place is going to the dogs, I tellsya :mrgreen:

another one who doesn't understand the difference between apology and apologetics :roll:

Place is going to the dogs, I tellsya :mrgreen:

I lived my whole life around Mexicans, its a different Spanish they speak but I think that's about as close as I'll get. If I said pedir disculpas to my Mexicano amigos they'd probably think I was being snobbish.

I lived my whole life around Mexicans, its a different Spanish they speak but I think that's about as close as I'll get. If I said pedir disculpas to my Mexicano amigos they'd probably think I was being snobbish.
Oh, I wasn't having a jab at your Spanish over disculpas. I was lamenting your apparent ignorance in not being able to discern it from apologéticos. Judging by whatsis a common failing, twould appear.

In any language.:2razz:

Log off buddy, you're getting worse and worse at this :mrgreen:

I'll lead by example ;)

The Cherusci, if I recall correctly, were the main drivers being the battle of Teutoburg Forest and the destruction of 1/10th of the Roman Army.

It's a shame so much history of the so called barbarian tribes of the Germans, Gauls, and Celts are not known to us.

Back
Top Bottom