• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Fallacy of Materialism

Your posts demonstrate unjustified arrogance and pretense at possessing an ability to understand something which your confirmation bias prevents you from examining skeptically.
Materialism is over, David. Did you miss that memo? Logical positivism and quantum physics made materialism untenable almost a century ago. Get with it.

Namaste

Materialism is over, David. Did you miss that memo? Logical positivism and quantum physics made materialism untenable almost a century ago. Get with it.

Namaste

Once again, quantum physics did no such thing. Your inability to think skeptically cripples your ability to think critically.

Once again, quantum physics did no such thing. Your inability to think skeptically cripples your ability to think critically.
Well, one of us is not thinking critically. That's certain. At the very bottom of reality is a mathematical probability that consciousness realizes. You need to get a new philosophy.

Well, one of us is not thinking critically. That's certain. At the very bottom of reality is a mathematical probability that consciousness realizes. You need to get a new philosophy.

Philosophy is not a thing that people "get". Your statement about reality is incohrent. It means nothing.

Philosophy is not a thing that people "get". Your statement about reality is incohrent. It means nothing.
No, that, I'm afraid to say, is science's last statement about reality. If you think it means nothing, you should get a new worldview.

No, that, I'm afraid to say, is science's last statement about reality. If you think it means nothing, you should get a new worldview.

I don't have a worldview and don't need one. You are incorrect about science and what it studies. Science does no comment on reality. It studies the only thing available for it to study: physical material. That is all science does. It is not a philosophy or a belief system. It is a method used to examine physical material that makes up everything.

If the gods are actually real, worshiping them is just another form of materialism. Religion is just another way of relating to the things that exist in the material world.

If the gods are actually real, worshiping them is just another form of materialism. Religion is just another way of relating to the things that exist in the material world.
Your second sentence is true; the first, inobvious on its face.

World view v. world view. A matter of faith on both sides.

The argument from semiotics.

There is no such word as inobvious. Once again Angel fails to impress.

There is, too. I looked it up just to make sure it didn't mean something other than what I thought it did.

I don't have a worldview and don't need one. You are incorrect about science and what it studies. Science does no comment on reality. It studies the only thing available for it to study: physical material. That is all science does. It is not a philosophy or a belief system. It is a method used to examine physical material that makes up everything.

Pardon, but you do have a world view. You have an evidence based world view.

No, I don't have a worldview. I just live and exist without one, like most people.

The idea you don't have a world view is your world view

The idea you don't have a world view is your world view

That's like claiming we can't help but have a worldview. Similar to the claim that man is a religious animal.

That's like claiming we can't help but have a worldview. Similar to the claim that man is a religious animal.

Well, there is a difference. The difference is 'what is religion' verses 'what is a world view'. Yes, it is philosophical in nature.. but unless you are unthinking, you make assumptions about how the world works. You have an understanding on how you see and understand the world.. and that's a worldview. So, you can't help it. It is not similar to the claim that 'man is a religious animal'. It's more similar to 'man is a thinking animal' rather than a religious one.

From Colliers dictionary

A person's world view is the way they see and understand the world, especially regarding issues such as politics, philosophy, and religion.

Last edited:
Well, there is a difference. The difference is 'what is religion' verses 'what is a world view'. Yes, it is philosophical in nature.. but unless you are unthinking, you make assumptions about how the world works. You have an understanding on how you see and understand the world.. and that's a worldview. So, you can't help it. It is not similar to the claim that 'man is a religious animal'. It's more similar to 'man is a thinking animal' rather than a religious one.

From Colliers dictionary

The depth of man's thinking varies remarkably.

...unless you are unthinking, you make assumptions about how the world works...
No, I'm afraid it's precisely the unthinking assumptions that create the problem. Know what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom