• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Fallacy Of Biblical Stories, Part 1: The Great Flood & Noah's Ark

HOW ancient people have made claims regarding the universe (which we thought were just poetic statements) without any sophisticated instruments, but have later on been reaffirmed by MODERN science
Can you give me examples.

What Does the Bible Not Say?

Some people claim that the Bible does not harmonize with modern scientific discovery. However, such claims are often based on a misunderstanding of what the Bible actually says.

The Bible does not say that the universe or the earth is only 6,000 years old. Rather, it says simply that the earth and the universe were created “in the beginning.” (Genesis 1:1) The Bible does not specify how long ago that was.

The Bible does not say that all life on earth was created in six 24-hour days. Rather, it uses the word “day” to refer to periods of time. For example, it states that the creation of our planet and life on it—during the six creative “days” spoken of in Genesis chapter 1—occurred in the period of time called “the day that Jehovah* God made earth and heaven.” (Genesis 2:4) So each of the six creative “days” during which God prepared the earth for life and created life on it could represent extremely long periods of time.

The Bible does not say that living things cannot undergo changes in their makeup over time. The book of Genesis states that animals were created “according to their kinds.” (Genesis 1:24, 25) The Bible word “kinds” is not a scientific term, but it seems to refer to broad divisions of life-forms. Thus, a single “kind” may include many species or varieties. This wording allows for the possibility that within a “kind,” changes in the variety and the types of species that lived in the same community could occur over time.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102021087

Like how you can cure a person of leprosy by rubbing pigeon blood on them. That’s scientific, right?
??? I asking about the claim, not backing it, lol.

Did dragons exist? Dinosaurs are not dragons.

We can estimate. If we go by a biblical timeline, then the flood occurred at about 2600 BC. So according to historical estimates, there were approximately 21 million people in the world at the time. Regardless if it was more or less, just about everyone, and every animal, was killed off.

Irrelevant. The flood still wiped everything out.

No, it does the exact opposite. It makes one accept dogma without critically thinking about anything.
Tell me, do you know where and when the term Dinosaur was coined? Before 1842 the term DINOSAUR didn't exist. Here is what DRAGON means: https://uselessetymology.com/2017/11/20/etymology-of-dragon/

Estimates can be entirely wrong ---- especially, when there are only assumptions to go by. We do not know how many children the average family had then. Noah had three sons. and he was 600 years old when the FLOOD began. Noah lived to be 950 and still had only these three sons. Methuselah was 187 years old, when his 1st son named Lamech was born. After Lamech was born, Methuselah lived an additional 782 years. During that time he had other sons and daughters ---- but we don't know how many. Lamech would become Noah's father.

Tell me, do you know where and when the term Dinosaur was coined? Before 1842 the term DINOSAUR didn't exist. Here is what DRAGON means: https://uselessetymology.com/2017/11/20/etymology-of-dragon/
There are those who actually believe dinosaurs (and possibly dragons), as the terms mean, actually existed alongside humans.
Estimates can be entirely wrong ---- especially, when there are only assumptions to go by.
Of course. But regardless if the world population was in the thousands or the millions, it doesn't change the premise that god committed genocide.
We do not know how many children the average family had then. Noah had three sons. and he was 600 years old when the FLOOD began. Noah lived to be 950 and still had only these three sons. Methuselah was 187 years old, when his 1st son named Lamech was born. After Lamech was born, Methuselah lived an additional 782 years. During that time he had other sons and daughters ---- but we don't know how many. Lamech would become Noah's father.
And that is just an assumption that Noah lived that long, along with other biblical figures.

Like how you can cure a person of leprosy by rubbing pigeon blood on them. That’s scientific, right?
Wait, you mean it doesn't? Lol

Some people claim that the Bible does not harmonize with modern scientific discovery. However, such claims are often based on a misunderstanding of what the Bible actually says.

The Bible does not say that the universe or the earth is only 6,000 years old. Rather, it says simply that the earth and the universe were created “in the beginning.” (Genesis 1:1) The Bible does not specify how long ago that was.
Some people believe in a literal young earth and some in an old earth. Both cannot be correct. Science supports an "old" earth with an even "older" universe.
The Bible does not say that all life on earth was created in six 24-hour days. Rather, it uses the word “day” to refer to periods of time. For example, it states that the creation of our planet and life on it—during the six creative “days” spoken of in Genesis chapter 1—occurred in the period of time called “the day that Jehovah* God made earth and heaven.” (Genesis 2:4) So each of the six creative “days” during which God prepared the earth for life and created life on it could represent extremely long periods of time.
Again, it's a matter of belief. There are those that believe in a literal 7 (24 hour) day creation. How convenient the bible leaves everything ambiguous and open to individual interpretation or beliefs.
The Bible does not say that living things cannot undergo changes in their makeup over time. The book of Genesis states that animals were created “according to their kinds.” (Genesis 1:24, 25) The Bible word “kinds” is not a scientific term, but it seems to refer to broad divisions of life-forms. Thus, a single “kind” may include many species or varieties. This wording allows for the possibility that within a “kind,” changes in the variety and the types of species that lived in the same community could occur over time.
"Kind" implies similarities. That might be true among individual species. All mammals share the same similarities for example. But differences become more apparent the further back on taxonomic nomenclature one goes.

11 year poll, the percentage in now around 20.
That is still quite significant.
Also that poll is flawed, because it's doesn't give an option for atheism, or other religious preferences. You can also find study that say 56% of American believe in a god. Or that over 20% of Christians. don't believe in god. There's a flurry of conflicting statistics, church member ship is extremely down as well.
Odd that one is a christian but not believe in god?
The worlds Northern ice shelf melted, its rose sea levels by around 400 feet. Water is a liquid it doesn't choose to stay in regional areas, It was mostly certainty a global flood.
There is no evidence which supports a global flood. If anything, current evidence demonstrates it could not or never happened.
Which is exactly the point being made. A global, biblical flood is simply not supported by scientific evidence and there are probably more realistic and rational explanations. Yet, some actually believe in the Earth being entirely covered by water. I liked the movie Waterworld depiction better. lol

Some people believe in a literal young earth and some in an old earth. Both cannot be correct. Science supports an "old" earth with an even "older" universe.

Again, it's a matter of belief. There are those that believe in a literal 7 (24 hour) day creation. How convenient the bible leaves everything ambiguous and open to individual interpretation or beliefs.

"Kind" implies similarities. That might be true among individual species. All mammals share the same similarities for example. But differences become more apparent the further back on taxonomic nomenclature one goes.
Again, it's accepting what the Bible says and doesn't say, versus adding your own assumptions...I believe the Bible...

I'll let you in on a little secret:) --------- Moses didn't actually separate the Red Sea either. It was GOD.;)
If one doesn't believe in GOD the rest of the stories make no sense. GOD is the KEY to ETERNITY!
It was LOW TIDE.

Best history of Noah and the ark was Bill Cosby's take many years ago. God tells Noah to build an ark, and after some discussion Noah asks, "what's an ark?" Then God tells him it's to be so many cubits by so many, and Noah asks, "what's a cubit?" Ends up with Noah asking God if He has looked in the bottom of the ark and noticed the mess from all the animals pooping. "Who's gonna clean that up?" Still a good comedy bit years later, despite Cosby's disgrace.
Riiiiggghhhtttt!!!!!

That is still quite significant.

Odd that one is a christian but not believe in god?

Which is exactly the point being made. A global, biblical flood is simply not supported by scientific evidence and there are probably more realistic and rational explanations. Yet, some actually believe in the Earth being entirely covered by water. I liked the movie Waterworld depiction better. lol
Im not arguing that the water covered to entire globe, that's a metaphor to the depiction of the dark, watery chaos, that was the world before God created Earth by applying order and separating the waters to the heavens and to the floor. Its a reversal of creation, chaos and order are the themes. Order is God and chaos, in the Old Testament a watery chaos, that takes the place of a deity in other near east traditions that God is to defeat.

When you actually study the bible you understand that its metaphorical and symbolic intentions are very clear.

I don't understand what you don't get, sea levels rose 400 ft around the world not just in certain regions. When you pour water into your glass does it stay and build up one particular side or does it even out and spread around?

Back to where they came from.

This is the type of nonsense answer that religious people are forced to give when cornered by logic.

The question remains unanswered. Water that fills a space has ........ filled the space. There is no place for it to go.

If water covered the entire planet, where did it recede to?

The Floodwaters. It has been said that if all the moisture in the atmosphere were suddenly released as rain it would not amount to even a couple of inches if spread over the earth’s surface. So from what source was this vast deluge of Noah’s day? According to the Genesis account, God said to Noah: “Here I [Jehovah] am bringing the deluge [or, “heavenly ocean”; Heb., mab·bulʹ] of waters upon the earth.” (Ge 6:17, ftn) Describing what happened, the next chapter says: “All the springs of the vast watery deep were broken open and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.” (Ge 7:11) So overwhelming was the Deluge that “all the tall mountains that were under the whole heavens came to be covered.”—Ge 7:19.

Where did this “heavenly ocean” come from? The Genesis account of creation tells how on the second “day” Jehovah made an expanse about the earth, and this expanse (called “Heaven”) formed a division between the waters below it, that is, the oceans, and the waters above it. (Ge 1:6-8) The waters suspended above the expanse evidently remained there from the second “day” of creation until the Flood. This is what the apostle Peter was talking about when he recounted that there “were heavens from of old and an earth standing compactly out of water and in the midst of water by the word of God.” Those “heavens” and the waters above and beneath them were the means that God’s word called into operation, and “by those means the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water.” (2Pe 3:5, 6) Various explanations have been offered as to how the water was held aloft until the Flood and as to the processes that resulted in its falling. But these are only speculative. The Bible says simply that God made the expanse with waters above it and that he brought the Deluge. His almighty power could easily accomplish it.

Since, as the Genesis account says, “all the tall mountains” were covered with water, where is all that water now? Evidently it is right here on the earth. It is believed that there was a time when the oceans were smaller and the continents were larger than they are now, as is evidenced by river channels extending far out under the oceans. It should also be noted that scientists have stated that mountains in the past were much lower than at present, and some mountains have even been pushed up from under the seas. As to the present situation, it is said that “there is ten times as much water by volume in the ocean as there is land above sea level. Dump all this land evenly into the sea, and water would cover the entire earth, one and one-half miles deep.” (National Geographic, January 1945, p. 105) So, after the floodwaters fell, but before the raising of mountains and the lowering of seabeds and before the buildup of polar ice caps, there was more than enough water to cover “all the tall mountains,” as the inspired record says.—Ge 7:19.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001150?q=flood+waters&p=sen

When you actually study the bible you understand that its metaphorical and symbolic intentions are very clear.
Yes, but some people do not view it as such. They take it all literally, such as the Flood myth.
I don't understand what you don't get, sea levels rose 400 ft around the world not just in certain regions. When you pour water into your glass does it stay and build up one particular side or does it even out and spread around?
A 400 foot rise will not flood the planet, as the Flood myth itself depicts. That's the whole point.

Again, it's accepting what the Bible says and doesn't say, versus adding your own assumptions...I believe the Bible...
Sorry, but I'm not as gullible as that. I don't go by belief. I prefer evidence.

Sorry, but I'm not as gullible as that. I don't go by belief. I prefer evidence.
When evidence gives way to belief, I do...

So what do you think? Could the Great Flood and Noah's Ark actually have occurred? I don't think so. There are flood stories long before the bible was written. The Epic of Gilgamesh immediately comes to mind. Biblical stories like the Flood seem borrowed from other sources and expanded upon and/or exaggerated.
Don't take it too literally. It's the younger dyras event and was purely regional. So Noah took each pair of regional animals

This is the type of nonsense answer that religious people are forced to give when cornered by logic.

The question remains unanswered. Water that fills a space has ........ filled the space. There is no place for it to go.
Indeed. It basically resorts to magic as an answer.

Back
Top Bottom