• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Failure of ‘Defund the Police’

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
But as many of us have pointed out in the past few years, America’s major cities, particularly the ones that have tense relationships between black communities and heavily white police forces, are almost entirely Democratic run. Their city councils are Democratic. Their mayors are Democratic. In many cases, the governors of the states are Democratic. In the majority of these circumstances, there are no Republicans to blame. And for a little while, some non-conservative media institutionsstarted asking the uncomfortable question of why Democrats, who insisted they always opposed racism, ran cities where African Americans perceived the police forces as irredeemably racist. As Benjamin Wallace-Wells put it in The New Yorker, “A whole generation of Democratic mayors have seen their reputations defined by their inability to manage the aftermath of police killings:Rawlings-Blake in Baltimore, Rahm Emanuel in Chicago, Bill de Blasio in New York, Pete Buttigieg in South Bend.”

An excellent article with some interesting questions.

Case in point:
Sometimes, this desire by Democratic officials to distance themselves from the police forces they oversee reaches absurd heights. Back in June, New Jersey governor Phil Murphy violated his own executive order banning gathering in large groups by walking an anti-police-brutality march in Hillside. Who does he think the New Jersey State Police answer to? Why is he marching like an outsider when he’s the ultimate insider, in a position of authority over the police forces being protested?

Police departments were never going to be completely defunded.

What is happening, and should have happened a long time ago, is Police dpartments are now under the microscope. Governmental abuse should not happen regardless of which governmental department it is.

Police departments were never going to be completely defunded.

What is happening, and should have happened a long time ago, is Police dpartments are now under the microscope. Governmental abuse should not happen regardless of which governmental department it is.

So you guys have been lying to BLM when you chanted "defund" at their rallies?

Does BLM know they were lied to?

So you guys have been lying to BLM when you chanted "defund" at their rallies?

Does BLM know they were lied to?
You should ask someone who chanted that.

The microscopes are out. As they should be.

Should we keep throwing more money at the police, or not?
I don’t know. I do know I hear a loot of people on the left talking about how future cops need to be screened and cops need more training. Do you think that costs more or less money.

I don’t know. I do know I hear a loot of people on the left talking about how future cops need to be screened and cops need more training. Do you think that costs more or less money.

So, throw more money at the problem.

I am just repeating why the left is calling for. You tell me.
Some people want to abolish police. Some people want to defund police. Some people seem to be okay with police snuffing people out.

Some people want to abolish police. Some people want to defund police. Some people seem to be okay with police snuffing people out.
And some people prefer to believe life is some type of fairytale where if the good guys just be nice then the bad people in the world will just behave.

And some people prefer to believe life is some type of fairytale where if the good guys just be nice then the bad people in the world will just behave.
Who would that be?

Who would that be?
Don’t play dumb. It’s not a good look for you.

I have seen you in plenty of the threads that talk about the recent police shooting. Lots of folks from the left are calling for more police training and being more selective of who should be cops.

An excellent article with some interesting questions.
I disagree with the articles analysis. The man are saying these instances are racist to increase their ratings. The complaint about policing isn't the least bit legitimate. It's a distraction. If anything police are ineffectual and the departments are broken the justice system weak. Look at the 8 months of riots.

I don't think the MSM is part of a deeper plan, they are desperately trying not to die. It's why they go googoo eyed when a mass murder happens. Then eyeballs are watching them and of course their advertisements. That's what it's about.

If it bleeds it leads, nothing more.

I have seen you in plenty of the threads that talk about the recent police shooting. Lots of folks from the left are calling for more police training and being more selective of who should be cops.
I didn't post the snarky comment I'd written. It looks like I might as well have.

"Everybody knows" that lots of people think that the police problems will be significantly reduced with yet another round of training and more money.

Your previous comment is shallow and/or disingenuous. I don't always have the patience for that. Nobody is proposing ideas that warrant your previous "fairytale" comment.

More police training to better handle situations where the subject makes stupid decisions and escalates the situation, and being more selective who should be cops may not be all that out of line. But that's only 1/2 of the parties who are involved. What to do with the subjects who make stupid decisions and escalates the situation?

How to address that? PSAs? Police community out reach? Greater communication with the community to show how dangerous and unpredictable policing is?

Focusing on only 1/2 the parties involved is only going to get you a 1/2 solution.

S
I didn't post the snarky comment I'd written. It looks like I might as well have.

"Everybody knows" that lots of people think that the police problems will be significantly reduced with yet another round of training and more money.

Your previous comment is shallow and/or disingenuous. I don't always have the patience for that. Nobody is proposing ideas that warrant your previous "fairytale" comment.
sorry but I have seen too many of your posts to not know other wise.
Are some point in the future you will understand that the world is not all sunshine and lollipops. And yes some people are just bad people

S

sorry but I have seen too many of your posts to not know other wise.
Are some point in the future you will understand that the world is not all sunshine and lollipops. And yes some people are just bad people
I don't hide my political positions, if that's what your attempted reframing is implying. You can keep digging and stay ignorant of the social justice movements, if you want.

More police training to better handle situations where the subject makes stupid decisions and escalates the situation, and being more selective who should be cops may not be all that out of line.
Can't really be that selective. It's a crappy job. Quality candidates know better than to pursue it.

I don't hide my political positions, if that's what your attempted reframing is implying. Keep digging and stay ignorant of the social justice movements.
Social justice movements are just about virtue signaling. To pretend otherwise is to be willfully ignorant.

I don't hide my political positions, if that's what your attempted reframing is implying. You can keep digging and stay ignorant of the social justice movements, if you want.
I know you don’t hide your political positions. It’s why it’s so easy to determine that you live in some sort of fairy tale land and not the real world.

Social justice movements are just about virtue signaling. To pretend otherwise is to be willfully ignorant.
"Virtue signalling" is just another lame conservative term for "I don't give a :poop: ."

Can't really be that selective. It's a crappy job. Quality candidates know better than to pursue it.
It is a tough job, yes. An often thankless job, I'm sure. The good people who are drawn to that occupation appear to be called to performing that service for their communities.

LEOs all over the country have been laid siege to, been isolated, socially ostracized, and violently and verbally attacked and abused, only to be stabbed in the back by their local government. Is it any wonder that they've retreated (Ferguson effect) and on other fronts and retrenched? Wouldn't that be a normal human reaction?

What is your take on possibly improving the response from the other 1/2 of the parties involved?

Back
Top Bottom